Question regarding emergency removal of SCUBAPRO Classic Unlimited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... but there is one (and only one) thing that will help the victim. Getting them to paramedics A.S.A.H.P. As Fast As Humanly Possible.

That should be the only thing on your mind. if it's a short tow.... don't even bother trying to get them out of their gear. Just go. go go go.

R..

With my limited knowledge and experience, I agree with this (at least for now) and mentioned it to the class instructor, as well. My instinct would be to get the unresponsive victim to EMS ASAP!!

Oh, also, I was HOPING someone from SCUBAPRO would respond :confused:. That's why I originally posted this question here, in the SCUBAPRO Q and A for manufacturers forum.

Diver0001,
Thanks for your reply. Question, you said "That's one of the reasons they stopped making them until people started thinking it was cool to buy "retro" gear." I am not sure I understand. Is my BCD retro gear and if so what's the implication? Thanks!
Yes, it's retro gear.

The advantage is that it looks cool.... the disadvantage is that .. well.... it's retro gear.

R..

Oh, also, I was HOPING someone from SCUBAPRO would respond :confused:. That's why I originally posted this question here, in the SCUBAPRO Q and A for manufacturers forum.

if they did it would be:

"seek proper instruction/training from qualified indviduals".... anything more than that would be a legal liability......

if they did it would be:

"seek proper instruction/training from qualified indviduals".... anything more than that would be a legal liability......

Ah, pffffft ... deflated face ... okay.

Actually in high seas or really any kind of seas the ventilate while towing is stupid and ill conceived given what we know now about the effectiveness or more accurately, ineffectiveness of rescue breaths without chest compressions. Having done actual tests with simulated non responsive divers in the water, trying to give rescue breaths actually delayed getting the victim to where real cpr could take place long enough to guarantee brain damage. I reported those findings to my agency and I see changes coming. It takes a skilled and highly experienced diver to do it without drowning the victim in the process. I have had my head pushed under numerous times.by overzealous students trying to get a good airway.

The only benefit it may provide is a psychological one for the rescuer. It should be removed or less emphasis placed on it. Get em out as fast as possible is how I teach where real, effective techniques can be used.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Actually in high seas or really any kind of seas the ventilate while towing is stupid and ill conceived given what we know now about the effectiveness or more accurately, ineffectiveness of rescue breaths without chest compressions. Having done actual tests with simulated non responsive divers in the water, trying to give rescue breaths actually delayed getting the victim to where real cpr could take place long enough to guarantee brain damage. I reported those findings to my agency and I see changes coming. It takes a skilled and highly experienced diver to do it without drowning the victim in the process. I have had my head pushed under numerous times.by overzealous students trying to get a good airway.

The only benefit it may provide is a psychological one for the rescuer. It should be removed or less emphasis placed on it. Get em out as fast as possible is how I teach where real, effective techniques can be used.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is now discussed in the NAUI RSD (or at least the class I took)....

I am a 49 year old woman who weighs 135 lb and is 5'3 tall. I have a SCUBAPRO Classic Unlimited in size small. It fit perfectly.

• Your BC is not "retro gear." It (in whatever SCUBAPro's current version is) is hugely popular and has been in continuous production for decades.
  • Your exercise was just that. An exercise. As Jim mentioned, any sort of attempt at first aid while towing just delays actual first aid which is only effective on a boat deck or land.
  • In an actual emergency, if the BC is a problem, a qualified rescuer will have you out of it in less than 10 seconds using EMT shears or another cutting device. Flip open the belt buckle, cut the two shoulder parts and it's gone. If you're wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, it will probably get slit down the middle from your neck to your waist, and maybe more.

Don't worry about anybody getting you out of your stuff. It's not a problem.

flots.

edit: PS. If you plan on rescuing anybody, make sure you carry easy, fast, effective cutting tools. Just look at your gear and say "what would it take to rip this off someone who was about to die?" Then buy it. EMT shears (named that for a reason) are cheap and effective.

Last edited:
The classic is one of the most durable (if not the most) and stable BC's out there. I have been using it since 1996. I have been using the current Classic I have now since 2004 and it still looks like new. No other BC would float you in a face up on the surface like the classic. The only time I would consider going to adjustable should strap type of BC is when I use a drysuit.

I can take the BC off in a rescue situation just like any other BC no problem.

Back
Top Bottom