QUESTION ... What would your team do differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
QUESTION ... What would your team do differently?

The following news article paints a poor picture of a team/agency that has made a "correct call" not to jeopardize the lives of officers/firefighters. Unfortunately they are getting terrible PR and the family is going to be the agancy's worst adversary for a number of years.

I am curious to know if any teams have a creative way to remain in the good graces of the family when the "no dive" decision is made.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Family's agonizing wait
Tuesday, November 14, 2006

By RICHARD COWEN and DOUGLAS CROUSE
STAFF WRITERS

For the relatives of a man feared drowned, finding him was matter of urgency.

For police, it was a matter of pragmatism: It was no use endangering searchers' lives until the roiling Passaic River quieted down.

As a result, there were no police boats on the Passaic River in Little Falls on Monday. No police divers in the water. And no helicopters whirring overhead.

But there were frantic relatives of Joseph Rivera of Stanhope trekking up and down the muddy river bank.

A combination of bad weather and a fast-moving river continued to hinder the search for the 27-year-old Rivera, presumed to have drowned after the canoe he was in with three other men capsized early Sunday morning.

Police scuba teams have been unable to dive or even take a boat onto the rapidly moving Passaic, leaving frustrated family and friends of the victim to mount their own desperate search.

"We have been out here for two days, going up and down the river," said Rivera's father, Jose, 56. "Not once have we seen a police boat or a helicopter. Why aren't they doing something?

"I just need to see my son."

"I'll bet if it was a police officer or a fireman in the river, there would be a big rescue operation going on," added an angry Emilio Vega, the missing man's cousin. "But it's like my cousin is nobody important."

But the Passaic County Sheriff's Department and the Little Falls Police Department had been on the accident scene since minutes after the Rivera's three friends swam ashore around 3:30 a.m. Sunday to report their friend missing.

The Sheriff's Department has set up a command post on the river and, with notions of rescue now turning into a recovery operation, has scuba teams ready to go should the missing man be spotted.

But police say they won't take any foolish chances with the rough water.

"We're doing everything we can to find him," said Capt. Jim Hearney, head of Special Operations for the Passaic County Sheriff's Department.

"But the water is moving very rapidly now, and we cannot do anything to jeopardize the safety of the men," Hearney said. "We won't do anything to add to this tragedy."

Hearney said poor visibility due to low-hanging clouds made it impossible to summon helicopters on Sunday.

And rain that fell Sunday afternoon had the river moving at a quick clip, making it dangerous for divers and rescue boats.

Police were concerned that frustrated family and friends might take matters into their own hands.

"The river is moving so fast right now that you wouldn't be able to stand up in only two or three feet of water," he said. "It could knock you down and carry you off."

Rivera lived with his father in Stanhope, along with his girlfriend, Jill Gasco, 21. The couple had an 8-month-old daughter, Nevaeh. Rivera, who was unemployed, was a drummer with the heavy metal bands Psypher and Fallout Shelter.

On Saturday night, the couple went to visit a friend, Omar Manaya, who lived in a house on Greylock Avenue in Little Falls.

Manaya kept a canoe in the back yard, which ran along the Passaic River. Around 3:30 a.m. Rivera and Manaya set off in the canoe with two other men, Erick Mendez of Paterson and Cesar Castello of Wayne.

Mendez said they began paddling upstream away from Beattie Falls, but soon got swept up in the current.

"We lost one of the paddles, and I began rowing with my hands. Then we turned sideways and flipped over," he said.

The last time Mendez saw Rivera he was flailing about in the water. "I tried to save him but I couldn't," Mendez said.

On Monday, Mendez was one of about two dozen people who combed the banks of the river looking for Rivera.

Also joining the search was Rivera's girlfriend, emotionally drained by the thought her infant girl may never know her father.

"Right now, I just feel so dead," she said.

....So, what would your team do differently?​

I do not belive this team in question has made any mistakes that I can see based on the story above.

The Risk vs Benefit factor would stop any good team of S&R Divers from placeing a diver in the water under these conditions and running the risk of loseing a diver as well , I for one think that the team in question is to be comended for sticking to there trainning and convictions that it was not safe to ask a diver to jeperdise the mission in pite of preasure from the public and the pres.

sad as this story is the best call is to rember safty comes first,

Sparky

By the way I was wondering where is this River located?

Idid not reconise the name of the river or any of the towns mentiond .

Unfortunately this scenario happens a lot but the team did right with the Risk Vs Benefit mentality.

Victim family and friends have a great deal of tunnel vision and do not realize what the capabilities of teams are in ANY rescue/recovery situation. They have one thing on their mind and that is the recovery of their love one. They look at us as Gods or Super Humans and do not think we are in any danger.

Has the family been involved in any of the post accident pre recovery briefings? Has there been adequate communication between the government and the survivors?

We try and assign a Chaplain or PIO to the survivors. That usually keeps the survivors together and not wondering around possible destroying evidence or creating a hazard for themselves. It also somewhat protects them from accidentally coming across the victim should they surface. Bodies and current to not get along very well and it can be a very traumatic sight to the un-expecting by-stander.

We don’t have all the information but so far it sounds like the decision for the team not diving has lessened the chance of multiple victims. Same goes for the other searchers.

Gary D.

I agree that this team is making the right decision not to dive but I am wondering if others have a better way to "save face" with the family.

Gary mentioned the idea of including the family in the briefings and assigning a PIO and chaplin to the family. I have included families in briefings before with VERY favorable results. I like the chaplin and PIO recomendation and I am curious if anyone else has some recommendations.

I can't imagine putting a diver in water that is not safe for boats.

3am, fast water, 3 men in a canoe, no mention of PFD's. My guess is they may have been headed out for more alcohol. Still a very sad deal.

I just did some searching and it looks like the river is around half way to flood stage. Around here those are far from ideal diving conditions.

From some of the pics on various sites their populated areas of the river look a lot like ours. The biggest difference is water depths. There's is shallow which I don't care to work in.

Gary D.

I'm no expert, but it seems like risking divers, boat crews, pilots, etc. for a guy who's probably dead anyway is foolish. Unfortuantly, crying family members make for better sound bytes.

On three seperate calls in our jurisdiction this past summer, we've had to deal with families of persons not imediately recovered. In all three calls, there was reason not to dive. In each of the incidents, the families, or at least one member from the family is included in any briefing, our chaplin is provided for support, our PIO is in continual contact with the selected family member.

We select which family member to deal with by watching the family during the initial response. One member of the team is designated to conduct family interviews and that diver generally selects the most composed family member at the time. So far we've had success using this method as that person, after being fully briefed and educated regarding risk/benefit assessments, etc generally will go back to the family and speak highly of what we are or are not doing.

If the incident is a multiday, sit and wait for re-float situation, a patrol unit is assigned to patrol the area and be seen by the family. The PIO again is in continual contact with the family.

We have come under fire on several calls for our decision to not dive. Luckily for us, our PIO has educated himself enough to defend our actions. In the end, good public relations generally solve most problems.

As far as the unit in the article, we would handle it in a similar way. I do not see anything more they could have done. Sometimes we're in a "damned if you do/damned if you don't" situation. Remaining professional in the face of this is what counts most.

sparkyjames:
By the way I was wondering where is this River located?

Idid not reconise the name of the river or any of the towns mentiond .

Hi Sparkyjames

I don't know for certain, (99%) but all the location names-the river, and the towns- are in New Jersey, in the north /central part of the state.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom