Questions about Blackbeard's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just returned Sunday morning from 9 day trip 27 Dives changed shirts maybe 4 times kept xtra suits and parts kits on deck in dive locker. Had enough room for t shirts and the like kept clean suff for after dive-evening. Did 4 night dives. It truly is dive,eat sleep, nothing more, nothing less good food, great comraderie. A super trip

Sounds like the boats vary a bit. I have already requested the 100 cf tank. I'll try to request a larger bunk, but away from the salon if possible.

I've got the rain jacket with hood laid out. Don't get seasick too easily. Usually just keep dancing.

Thanks! :shades:

Yea, the Sea Explorer has the tap on deck!

Another piece of equipment worry taking is a portable padded seat cushion. The seats outside get awfully hard after a couple of hours.

DandyDon:
Sounds like the boats vary a bit.
Thanks! :shades:

Thank you for the informative thread. I have also considered
going on BB. I have heard there is more wind in the winter months from the norther winds that come down and the crossing is rough.
Diver Dan

ScubaDogBones:
Thank you for the informative thread. I have also considered
going on BB. I have heard there is more wind in the winter months from the norther winds that come down and the crossing is rough.
Diver Dan
It may not be the best time to go, but I needed something to do from Dec 26 to Jan 1, as things are super dead at the office, etc. Looked at other options in Mexico, etc, and found planes and resorts to be much higher then - when the school kids are out and families traveling.

But this area is always a challenge! June thru Oct is hurricane season, I did get blown out some at Key Largo in Nov, winter storms start in Dec and lead to spring blowouts, and then - it's June again. Like all dive trips, when you live as far inland as I do: you show up, and hope to suit up. :shades:

If the winds are up, they usually hide out behind places like Andros or the Berry Islands. Neither time I have gone could they start the diving near Bimini. I have done a trip at the end of January and just after Tanksgiving. Both crossing were rough for some of the passengers. I'm just lucky that I don't have motion sickness of any kind.

DandyDon:
It may not be the best time to go, but I needed something to do from Dec 26 to Jan 1, as things are super dead at the office, etc. Looked at other options in Mexico, etc, and found planes and resorts to be much higher then - when the school kids are out and families traveling.

But this area is always a challenge! June thru Oct is hurricane season, I did get blown out some at Key Largo in Nov, winter storms start in Dec and lead to spring blowouts, and then - it's June again. Like all dive trips, when you live as far inland as I do: you show up, and hope to suit up. :shades:

Hey Don,

I don't think anyone has mentioned a large insulated mug with a non slip wide bottom yet, it's a nice thing to have.

I rented a low pressure steel 100 from Fill Express http://www.fillexpress.com/ on my last Blackbeard's trip, it worked out really well.

I have a tendency to overpack as well, but worse case, I sleep with my stuff, it's all about the diving! It sounds like you have the positive attitude thing down, that's the main thing. Enjoy the sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, the crew, the food, :wink: and of course the diving. I think it's almost impossible to beat Blackbeards for the money.

Ken

Buy it on the boat. I still use mine. It holds a lot of hot chocolate. That's something you might want to bring as well as they seem to run out of this on the colder trips.

kwickert:
I don't think anyone has mentioned a large insulated mug with a non slip wide bottom yet, it's a nice thing to have.

Ken

Don et. al.,

Just did a BB over Thanksgiving. Went on the Sea Explorer. Great trip. Great crew. Sailed with Jason (Capt), JP (Cook), Karen (Dive Mistress). Our boat had 19 divers. I believe 25 is considered max. There are three cabin areas. The main salon where every one eats, showers, and houses the galley, contains six double berths. On our boat, six individuals had these six berths. They each had a lot of storage in the berth itself, with them, and on the shelf over their feet. Some may have had space under as has been described. In the next cabin forward, you will find two individual cabins each with two double berths. On our boat, a family of four had one cabin and my wife and I had the other. There is a head/sink for these two cabins. The head is tiny for a person of any size. I am 5 11 and 200#. There is no shower here. The family was crowded. My wife and I each slept in a separate bunk. I kept stuff in my bunk with me and on the shelf over my feet. We did not use all of the space under our bunks and shared it with the family of four. The next cabin forward, i never saw, but was told it contained 8 single bunks. On our boat, there were seven people up there and they all shared the eighth bunk as a storage area.

In short we probably had the best deal on the boat if you don't want all of the traffic associated with the main salon. The main salon has its own advantages, many of which have been stated. One more is it seemed my cabin was so tight it made it hard to sort thru my clothes that were stored in the bunk. In the main salon, at least at non-meal times, it was easy for those folks to pull out anything they wanted and lay it on the table to do whatever they wanted to do with it.

Definitely bring heavy duty clamps. The boat has clothespins but they don't hold. We lost three wetsuits over the side during a particularly windy day. We brought about 18 heavy duty clamps and we were very popular! Some kind of cushion is nice, we brought boat cushions, but it will be wet and it will take up room in your luggage.

We had one guy on board with a computer. We had an electrical outlet in our cabin.

We sailed on a Sat and arrived Bimini late Sat Night.

There were four dives on Sun, one at night.
There were four dives on Mon, one at night.
There were four dives on Tue, one at night
There were three dives on Wed and we docked at Bimini for the night.
There was one dive on Thurs and due to weather, we started back for Miami early.
I got the impression that there would normally have been two or three day dives on Thurs.
The night dives were usually at the same spot that the last day dive had been.

I concur with the clothing recommendations. 4-5 t shirts, couple of shorts, couple of bathing suits, rain gear (although I still got wet wearing full pants/jacket). It was very cool at night in November. I had long pants (that had zip on/off legs) and a sweatshirt and I wore them every night.

It was a fun trip. It definitely is "camping at sea". A good attitude goes a very long way.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Don, thanks for your contributions to SB, I always enjoy your posts.

Texasdiver2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom