Questions about my first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Along the lines of Finnmom, be self sufficient. Get your gear ready yourself. Make sure you're all set yourself and that your air is on yourself. DO NOT let the crew screw with your gear. They may offer to set up your next tank for you. Do it yourself. They will very likely turn your valve to confirm your air is on before you stride of. DO NOT LET THEM. Either verbally tell them you've checked and are good or if you don't want to be confrontational put your ref in your mouth and sag in your hand and take several breaths showing them that you're able to do your own checks. I can not tell you after 20 years of diving how many times I've been on a boat and the mate checking people's valves actually shut them off. On top of that you need to be self reliant. There's nothing wrong with asking for help but every diver should be self aware and self sufficient.

Get in the habit of checking your gas by breathing on your reg just before you stand up to walk to the jump off point. I usually have my equipment assembled and checked before the boat leaves the dock and I leave the gas turned on. On one charter I did a second check and found it was turned off! Apparently, the DM absent-mindedly turned the gas off when he made a quick check of everyone's gas just before arriving at the destination.

On some charters the crew person assisting the divers in getting into the water will check that the valve is on and remind you to add gas to your BCD but don't count on this. Not everyone does this check.

Air in BCD before giant stride or back roll.

I usually try to get all the air out of my BCD before I jump in. I jump off and immediately go down. I want away from the rocking boat and the surface current.

Now if the mate wants to see the big ok after I jump in, I'll comply. But my LDS does not care to see it, only the not ok.

Different regions have different styles. Boat diving in North Carolina is a little different than Southern California and I have absolutely no idea what @Francesca terms as "manspreading" and why whatever it is is practiced by "American" men only? - or what it has to do with skin diving.
On the West Coast of manspreadingland, nobody is going to hold your hand. You're a certified diver and will be expected to carry out your dives in a safe manner from getting there in time to getting back on the boat without pitching over onto anyone else.
Most experienced people here just "blow and go" - hit the water, exhale, kick with your head pointed down and see you later.
Manspreading is the habit of some males to sit with legs wide apart(often encroaching on other people's space especially on a boat where space is at a premium)

Being self-sufficient is always great advice and the more you can do yourself when assembling your gear on the boat the better off you'll be, especially when checking and rechecking your air. However, for vacation divers or even seasoned divers who rent equipment being self-sufficient may not be enough. By all means get as far as you can but if you have any doubts about the assembly or how to get in the gear, please ask the crew. Don't wait until divers are jumping in. You may have to get out of your gear to fix or rearrange equipment, and having divers bobbing in the water waiting for you (if it's a group dive) will not be too happy. If the seas are rough and a diver gets sea sick they will have to come back on the boat. So, you want to avoid any delays and be ready when it's your turn to jump in.

Ask for help early. You are paying good money and it's part of the service. Even if you are having trouble with your own equipment ask for help. I was diving my BP/wing when I couldn't find my crotch strap. It was probably caught on something but the only way I could fix it was to get out of my equipment which would take too much time. I asked for help and got a surprised look from the crew. When I explained the problem he quickly found the twisted and hung up crotch strap and brought it to the front for me where I quickly buckled it.

Here's another thing to keep in mind. On most of the charters I've been on the crew gives the impression that you need to move as quickly as possible to get into your gear. Also, most divers are quite anxious especially before the first dive and are somewhat frenzied. This adds to the overall impression of having to get ready quickly. Fight the urge to hurry. Stayed focused and move at a steady clip and ask for help if you need it. Remember, it's your life. Take control of it.

Finally, you asked what happens after you get ready. When arriving at the dive site the captain will give the dive briefing and then say "OK everybody, get suited up. The pool's open.", or something like that. First thing, get into your wet suit if you haven't already done so. Next, unhook your tank from the bungee holding it to the rack. Then sit down and get your booties and fins on. (I prefer to get into my wetsuit and booties before the boat leaves the dock after I've assembled my gear). Next, get into your BCD. Make sure your reg is free on your right side and your BCD hose is free and on your left side. Get everything buckled and tighten up the buckles. Now, just wait. This is a good time to recheck your gas supply making sure your reg breathes OK. The DM will usually be the first in the water. The other crew or captain will call the closest divers over to the exit point followed by divers in turn going toward the front. When you are called or when it's your turn put your mask on and stand up carefully making your way to the exit. TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't want to fall and walking in cramped quarters with fins on takes some finesse. Some charters will have divers exiting from both sides of the boat. Once at the exit point add air to your BCD, put your reg in your mouth, and wait for the go signal before jumping in. Once you are in the water and are stable give the OK sign.

Last edited:
Second, once in the water and out of the way, do you just wait for DM? is there a huddle per say? Thanks for sharing your prior experiences.

As I said in my previous post the DM jumps in first so they can help any divers in the water. They'll get all the divers reasonably close together. Some charters will have the group swim to the mooring ball and descend. Sometimes the group will descend from where they are. The DM will ask if everyone is OK and then say, "OK, let's descend". There may or may not be some final instructions before descending.

^Really depends on who you are diving with. Some charters don't put a DM or guide in the water. You buddy up and off you go.

^Really depends on who you are diving with. Some charters don't put a DM or guide in the water. You buddy up and off you go.
Yeah that's been my experience in all my USA dives. DM on the boat not in the water. If you aren't sure what the policies are with the operation you are diving with make sure you ask on the phone or get there early enough to ask when they aren't flat out taking care of a crowd of people.

Lots of good advice here already.

Back
Top Bottom