Questions about oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mk57nato

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all been overloading on all the posts about the 5050 and had somewhat decided that it would be better for me than the 5060. Alas i had no money currently and decided to wait till i had some(lol hard choice i know) When lo and behold my tax return came back now i can afford it but some final questions first..

What is the problem with shooting this cam on land, i hear something about its not a good land camera which doesent make sense to me

how fast can you take pics, i.e. multible shots. on my el cheapo hp 612 on max res after i snap the shutter i have to wait like 2sec before i can take another.

is it worth it? as in it is older, is there another cam at the same price that will beat it?

whats the largest i can blow up a pic, i understand it depends on water condition, clairity, lighting etc... but say most factors are good can i expect to get say a poster size enlargement without to much grain/noise

whats a going price for poster enlargment

about how many pics can you get on a set of batts, say in raw or tiff mode

am i correct that one the factors that make this cam so attractive is that you can find an uw housing so cheap

not that it really matters but some reviews say this thing has an mp3 player and some dont... so does it?

wow i am going to regret this question but here goes, the main difference between this and the 5060 besides the wide angle lens, is proprietary battery on the 60 and the 60 cant change lenses underwater?

any and all info would be welcome as i would like to order this soon, the money is burning a hole in my pocket...lol
Also i have a friend that after years of badgering is finally going to get certified and would be nice to have a cam to get some pics of his start in scuba.. ya know all that memento kinda stuff. :bounce:

I'll give this a shot, been shooting Oly 4040/5050 for three years now, results at www.underwaterplanet.com......

Alas i had no money currently and decided to wait till i had some(lol hard choice i know) When lo and behold my tax return came back now i can afford it but some final questions first..

- Money is good

What is the problem with shooting this cam on land, i hear something about its not a good land camera which doesent make sense to me

- No problems on land for me

how fast can you take pics, i.e. multible shots. on my el cheapo hp 612 on max res after i snap the shutter i have to wait like 2sec before i can take another.

-- Depends on the card, not the camera. Get a 40x CF card

is it worth it? as in it is older, is there another cam at the same price that will beat it?

-- Not in my opinion. Perhaps buy a refurbished 5050 from Oly

whats the largest i can blow up a pic, i understand it depends on water condition, clairity, lighting etc... but say most factors are good can i expect to get say a poster size enlargement without to much grain/noise

-- I have had a 4040 pic (less resolution) to 16x 20. That will be your upper limit

whats a going price for poster enlargment

-- Check ofoto, pictopia, shutterfly, etc.

about how many pics can you get on a set of batts, say in raw or tiff mode

-- I can get two dives in, about 100-200 pics on a set of batteries. How many you can fit on a card is another matter. RAW files are quite large. 130 or so on a 1 gig card

am i correct that one the factors that make this cam so attractive is that you can find an uw housing so cheap

-- Yep, Oly PT-015, <$200

not that it really matters but some reviews say this thing has an mp3 player and some dont... so does it?

-- No

wow i am going to regret this question but here goes, the main difference between this and the 5060 besides the wide angle lens, is proprietary battery on the 60 and the 60 cant change lenses underwater?

-- There are other differences, but those are two of them. 5060 alo has a slower lens at 2.3 than the 5050 at 1.8

any and all info would be welcome as i would like to order this soon, the money is burning a hole in my pocket...lol

-- It['s a great camera with a proven track record. Don't see how you can go wrong

Chris

Wow nice pics, i see you like nudibranches also. lol i love spanish shawls and most nudibranches... i can almost spend the entire dive just looking at them.

As far as cf card goes i would get the 40x 2gig card thats out,(if i was rich i would get the 6gb cf card but i dont have 7grand laying around so oh well) also even though i dont like xd media i will want to fill the slot so i will get the fastest 512m (or larger, but i think thats the upper limit on xd) that way i max the storage mem. so with that in mind what can i expect for picture speed. ie how long inbetween.

im not sure i want a refurb of something of this price since a new one with the full warrenty from buydig is only $430 which the refurbs i have seen are only about $40 cheaper and only a 90warrenty.

oh and thanks for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom