Questions about potential BIG purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
I've done some research on regs, bc's, and computers and tried on a lot of bc's. I plan on doing some cold water wreck diving in the future so I want to make sure I get the right stuff. How are these choices? Any less expensive but equally performing substitues for the reg? Thanks.

Regulator: Mares MR22 Abyss
Alternate: Zeagle Octo+ MKII
BC: Zeagle Ranger

Hello tbg, welcome to the family here at scubaboard. Glad to see that you jumped right on it.

The Mares Abyss is a good regulator. The reg is a very important choice. If the wrecks are deep and the water is really cold, chances are it's an open ocean environment or large lake type of environment that's open to mother natures attitude. I'd recommend any number of regulators, that may or may not be less expensive. ScubaPro, Apeks, Poseidon, Mares and Atomic's top of the line regulators are top notch.

Integrated octo's can be toouchy at times. I personally prefer having one of these on my rig, but use a traditional octo as well on especially extreme dives.

The ranger is a good b.c., but I woould encourage you to look into some harness style b.c.'s that are designed to work well with doubles, and slung deco bottles. The OMS, DiveRite, Halcyon, or Abysmal B.C.'s would be a better choice.

Mario, thanks for the info. Today, I actually took a look at both the Dive Rite Transpac and the Scubapro S-Tek at some other dive shops. They both seem very similiar. Do you have any opinions on the pros and cons of each? I've been through most of the scuba board and have seen very little on the scubapro setup. Thanks again.

If it were me chossing between the two, I would pick the Dive Rite Transpac. ScubaPro's B.C.'s though adequate aren't exactly the norm for the more serious technical diver. I think if one were able to look at the ratio of Transpac users vs S-tek users, it would be a landslide in favor of the DR Transpac.

I dive with a Tech BC. I use the Halcyon Explorer 55lb wing with a Dive Rite Stainless Steel backplate and a harness. I really thing you might want to look at the Halcyon line as well. If you do some research, you will find that this equipment is used on some of the most extreme dives in the world.

http://www.halcyon.net
http://www.gue.com
Check out these web sites.I think you will find some relavent info here.

Good Luck!

I dive a 65 lb. wing and SS backplate (similar to Zman) and it is great. Because you don't have a ton of stuff on the BC, you have no drag and you fly through the water. If you are looking for a BC that has a lot of D-rings and pockets, remember, how accessible are those pockets going to be and can I really use that small d-ring?

Have fun shopping,
Eric

Tbg

I would echo the recommendation on using a backplate and wings for diving. One caveat here, if you are just starting out diving you do not need the larger lift wings for single tank diving. You will need to select an appropriate size wing and a single tank adapter (STA) for the BP. I would also recommend that you do not go with an integrated secondary regulator. Try breathing off of one while your buddy is using the primary and then control the inflation/deflation of the BC and looking over to the right. (FYI extremely difficult to do, and the additional task loading in a situation like this can result in problems).

brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom