Questions about UK Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver looking to purchase my first diving lights.

I'm considering either the C8 or the D4 as my primary light. I would probably go for the C8 if it had the option of a lantern grip, but it doesn't, so the D4 is also a consideration. (The C4 is too small, the D8 is too big and the LC 100 is beyond my budget.)

What are the pros/cons of the C8 and D4?

Whichever light I purchase, I would like to use NiMH batteries. Are there any issues/considerations of using NiMH batteries with diving lights?

Are the different bulbs interchangeable (e.g., 5.8/18 for D4 or 13.2/20 for the C8) or do they operate at different voltages? Do I need a different reflector to change to different power bulbs?

Is the SL4 an acceptable back-up light for recreational night diving?

Does anyone have comments on the UK Dive Beacon?

Thanks in advance.

I use an SL6 as a backup and it fits in my BC pocket nicely, gives a focussed beam of light.

For main light i use a D8R - id strongly recommend you get a rechargable torch otherwise it'll cost a fortune with batteries. The rechargable torches also come with a slightly higher powered bulb.

I'd recommend going with the C8 instead of the D4. My experience has been that the C8 is brighter because of its higher voltage (8x1.5 V = 12 V instead of 4x1.5 V = 6 V for D4). The C8 is also more compact. For better battery endurance, consider the eLED version of the C8. I've had mine for a while, and find that it's much whiter than my regular C8 and lasts at least twice as long on a set of batteries.

You shouldn't have any problem with the rechargeables. Most of my buddies use them without any difficulty.

The SL4 isn't bad as a backup, but I prefer to put 1 or 2 UK Q40 lights on my mask instead. They're great for reading gauges, esp. on ascent, and they're also really great when you're exiting on a shore dive. The drawbacks are that if you don't set them up properly on your mask, you'll blind your buddy easily; and in murky water you tend to get a lot of backscatter that knocks out your peripheral vision.

I haven't got much good to say about the UK dive beacon. I had one and it flooded after about 10 dives despite regular maintenance. The service tech at my dive shop told me he's seen that happen a lot, so I'd go for something else if I were you.

Daryl Morse:

I'm considering either the C8 or the D4 as my primary light. I would probably go for the C8 if it had the option of a lantern grip, but it doesn't, so the D4 is also a consideration. (The C4 is too small, the D8 is too big and the LC 100 is beyond my budget.)

What are the pros/cons of the C8 and D4?

Whichever light I purchase, I would like to use NiMH batteries. Are there any issues/considerations of using NiMH batteries with diving lights?

Are the different bulbs interchangeable (e.g., 5.8/18 for D4 or 13.2/20 for the C8) or do they operate at different voltages? Do I need a different reflector to change to different power bulbs?

Thanks in advance.

Just a thought. I don't know how much the light cannon sells for in the USA or Canada, but the cheapest you can pick them up in the UK for is about £160 (290 US dollars). My uncle bought one on Ebay. This is the link:

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=scuba-skippy&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1

It included the light cannon, a UK mini Q40 back up light, and a titanium dive knife. Batteries included for both lights. After bidding, he got it for £125 (228 US dollars), including delivery and import tax ( which was about £30). I'm thinking of getting one myself, as it seems a good deal.
By the way, I promise I have nothing to do with the seller, my uncle got the link from another diver on a British forum.
David

R0b:
Leisure pro has the lantern attachment for the C8 eLED for $4.99. http://tinyurl.com/279ab look in the "Recommended Accessories" frame on the right, at the bottom.
I believe the lantern handle you're referring to is for the D4 and D8. I'm quite sure that the handle on the C8 isn't removable.

I just ordered a D4 last week for those exact reasons:
I wanted a lantern grip, and the D8 seemed too bulky.
To me, brighter isnt always necessarily better in murky water or on a clear reef.
I'll have to wait and see if Ive made the right choice.

I've had the sl4's go out on me below 100 ft yet work fine at shallower depths.

It seems to happen with some brands of batteries but not others but I'll be darned if I can remember which.

I couldn't prove it but I think that due to the shape they compress and the case lengthens a little at depth causing the batteries to lose contact.

I much prefer a twist on backup light that doesn't have a switch.

Daryl Morse:

/cut/

Thanks in advance.

What kind of night diving are you doing? What will be the primary use of your diving lights?

If you are buying the diving lights for recreational night diving, the UK line is fine.

Figure that you'll get 30-50 minutes of bottom time from one AL80. The UK's are rated for 4-4.5 hours for a set of new alkalines. This translates into 4 days of night diving on a liveaboard.

Use the UK C8 for your primary and SL4 for your backup. Since both the C8 and SL4 use C batteries, this makes buying batteries easy. I have no experience with the LED model. If I had only one choice of the three models, I would pick the SL4. I carry the SL4 on every dive that I do, regardless if it is a night dive or not. If your primary light goes out, you want a decent backup in case you need to signal the boat. Frankly, if conditions are a CF, then you're not getting into the water anyway.

There is a quirk about UK's. There was some thread a while back that made mention that UK's need Duracell batteries. Something to do with how the wiring is setup. Also, the UK SL4 is switch activated, so you need to be careful not to accidently turn it on. When I'm not using the light, I unscrew the head a few turns. I have to remember to screw the head back in, but it prevents me from burning through the batteries.

I also like the Q40, but I use it as a spot. I think UK markets the Q40 as a backup. The Q40 is a bright flashlight in a tiny package. I use it on the boat, rummaging around in my berth, and as a backup for my backup light. I HATE it when someone wears it on their mask. It is convenient, but you blind ur buddy when you look at him/her. There is nothing worse that losing that night vision.

I also have the UK Dive Beacon. I have over 30 dives on mine and it has never flooded. During a Blackbeard's cruise, I put it on when I set up my rig and never took it off the whole week.

Personally, I find tank lights to be a waste of money. If you've ever been on a night dive, you don't see those little lights on the back of the tank. There is usually so much light from your primary light (and dive buddy), that you know where your buddy is at all times.

The last comment is light pollution. Some of the most interesting night dives that I have done have been by the light of the moon. It is reassuring to have the biggest, brightest light when you go into open ocean, but I think you miss out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom