Questions before my first time using a video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngryMoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started getting interested in photography/videography on my most recent trip with a TG5 and I decided to purchase a video light for my upcoming holiday to Indonesia. I have a few beginner questions I’m hoping some of you can help with.

First of all with regards to etiquette. The one I’ve bought puts out about 3000 lumens which is obviously not professional quality but testing it in my apartment is seems pretty damn bright compared with the torch I usually use for night diving, so I’m concerned it might be annoying for my buddies. I’m wondering, do people usually only turn on their lights before they begin shooting or do they leave them running the whole dive and just be careful to keep them out of others’ eyes?

Tangential to this I was also wondering about effect lights could have on certain subject and if there are creatures I should not be shining lights at directly to avoid damaging their eyes?

Another one, from what I understand my light won’t be of much use outside of macro so I’m wondering is it best to not use it at all for wide angle shooting? It would be nice to have a little foreground illumination but might it spook things like sharks and mantas into giving me a wide berth?

Finally, I know that it’s no replacement for a strobe but since I don’t have one yet if I want to shoot some stills I assume the video light is a better alternative than the internal flash, right?

Thanks to any responses!

I have a 3800 lumen and I find it is not bright enough for most wide angle situations. I only have a single and many true video folks use 2 and go way brighter. I primarily shoot stills with 2 strobes and only use it for video and on night dives as my light source. If you feel it’s too bright, you can always turn it down but it’s difficult to get more light if you don’t have it so I like the flexibility of that.

I keep it on continuously at night and don’t turn it off but during day I only turn it on when actively shooting. It helps to save batteries, too. For sure, avoid shining it in anyone’s face.

Strobes always work better because of the element of surprise and creatures not expecting it. However, there’s no way to avoid some effect on their behavior with a bright light. You can always try using manual white balance if the TG has that option. I would avoid shooting macro with your light very bright. You can fry and heat up many small creatures that way. Pygmy seahorses in Indonesia being one of them, especially.

Your video light will be way better than the onboard flash. Where in Indo are you going? Have a great time - it’s my favorite place to dive.

I've going to Lembeh, Nusa Penida and Komodo. Very excited, you are not the first to tell me it's their favourite country to dive!

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, and I'll be sure to take it easy on the Pygmys ☺️

Back
Top Bottom