Quick Boracay Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a lot of price checking and research I decided to book with Blue Mango Resort near boat station three. Excellent decision. That end of the beach is very quiet compared to stations one and two. Very family friendly atmosphere and hospitality from the entire staff of the Blue Mango. The dive staff really spent a lot of time with my son teaching him to dive in his native Tagalog. Rooms were much larger than I expected. We had a three bedroom suite tucked away in a nice native garden.
Our son did his open water certification with the Blue Mango, and I got in about 16 dives with them. Thanks to station three being quieter on most days we had the dive boat to ourselves. The DM was excellent about reading the tide charts and timing our dives for slack tide. I have read a lot of negativity towards the diving in Boracay. I am not sure what people want or where they have done previous dives. Yes on the leeward side of the island there is not anything spectacular pelagic wise. But there is tons of macro life if you take your time and actually look for it. Yapak and Crocodile Rock rank right up there for me with Puerto Galera and Moal Boal. (minus verde and pescador islands). The down side of diving the leeward side is the number of Korean divers that the dive shops just dump into the water way over weighted with little or no training. It is absolutely disgusting and reprehensible. I am all for folks making a quick buck, but come on. I can’t believe there are not more accidents there. I called it rodeo diving. I would see a Korean diver just hanging limply in the water and a Filipino dive “guide” sitting astride the Korean's tank and just swimming and guiding them along. Why would you even want to do that? You are not diving, you're just taking an underwater rickshaw ride.

About the white sand beach itself. I am the very definition of a pasty white boy, so I don’t really do beaches, but that is one fine beach. Pretty impressive to see. Plus the shopping, dining and drinking establishments along the beach path and up into the D’Mall make sure you will have plenty to do and see each night.
Of all the places we have stayed in the Philippines Blue Mango and Boracay is the first place my family has asked me to take them back to for another visit. I want to check out some other places first, Bohol is next on the list in June, but we will go back for another visit to Boracay.

Thanks for the quick trip report. I had a chance to stay and do my Rescue Course with Blue Mango a couple of years ago. They have a great team and, by coincidence, the owners used to live in the same community where I grew up (small world). My next visit to Boracay, I stayed and dove with Calypso Dive Resort. I highly recommend that you check our Calypso when you go back to Boracay. I enjoyed my stay and dives with them. The owner is a long-time Boracay diver/resident and an avid underwater photog. I forget his name at the moment. The Calypso staff is just a fun group. I love the resort atmosphere and accommodation is more upscale but the rates are very reasonable and affordable.

Back
Top Bottom