Boracay and Malapascua Island May 2 to May 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are in the Philippines now and have Actually been diving in Carabao Island, very near Boracay. The diving is great for macros as well as a variety of soft and hard corals. It's an undiscovered dive area in the Philippines. We will be posting a review soon.

If you want to see Boracay, I would suggest going there for the beach and night life but then take a private boat or ferry to Carabao to dive for a few days. Not worth diving in Boracay unless you are newly certified or doing a DSD. Diving is better here than in Moalboal (but no schools of sardines) and It's much closer to Boracay. Check out Vibrations Dive Center and Oceans Edge Resort If you want to dive near Boracay.

Malapascua is worth the trip. White sand and great diving with the sharks. If you want a good chance with seeing the threshers, go for the week.

Anilao is great as well and beautiful. But not your typical island destination with beaches and palm trees. Bohol is good too, but ok For diving.

I suggest you fly into Caticlan and take pump boats to Carabao and Boracay then fly to Cebu for Malapascua. PM if we can help further. Btw...if you can fly in/out of Cebu instead of Manila, even better!

Hello Everyone,

Thank-you all for you information and we have narrowed it down to flying into Cebu and first going to Malapascua and then down to South Leyte.

I read that you take a bus to Malapascua's ferry but, can you take a taxi there and is it worth it?

Now, from Malapascua to South Leyte will be a bit longer. It says it takes over 10 hours with the two ferries, a taxi to naval base, and bus to South Leyte (this was on the site Rome2rio). Is there any other way to get there that is shorter. I looked into flying but, that is only an hour shorter and since we are diving and won't get the time to rest, I don't want to risk flying. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thank-you once again

You can take a taxi to Maya Port but you better find out the schedule first. Best arrive before noon.
It is indeed a long trip from Malapascua to Southern Leyte.
I always find Rome2rio suggestion is some kind of a joke! Never ever use it.
Early public ferry from Malapascua to Maya.
Public bus to Cebu City, no idea which bus terminal(North/South) or other.
Ferry, there are several piers, to Ormoc and then v-hire, bus etc to Maasin. I do not think there is direct public transport to Padres Bugos.
"Peter's" is a short distance away by trike. You can walk to it if carry no luggage. But why saving P10.00.
Your host in Southern Leyte should be able to advice.
Have nice trip. You have made a great decision to go to Southern Leyte.

There is less frequent ferry from Cebu to Maasin which is a lot closer to Padres Burgos. Cheap public transport is available.

I took the bus from Cebu City to Malapascua ferry. It was easy, clean, inexpensive, with air con- no need to hire a taxi. On South Leyte, your dive lodge can arrange transportation from the ferry terminal. If I only had 2 weeks though, I would spend the whole time at Padre Burgos/South Leyte and do another trip taking in Malapascua and Dauin. Also, Cebu City has a few interesting museums and a day or two there after arrival would give your body time to begin adjustment to the time zone differences.

I see you've already dropped Boracay from your list but would definitely recommend Calypso if you do go diving there, did my OW with Joel - nice guy. Unfortunately with the Philippines there is almost an inverse relationship between the quality of the beach and the quality of the diving. Boracay's ying to Dauin's yang I guess.

Going to Malapascua I would take the full sized bus over the minibuses - they're slower but much more comfortable in my opinion, plus your bags go down under and not on your lap!

Definitely don't fly to Tacloban just to trek back down to Sogod Bay, doesn't make much sense. I get quite badly seasick so personally I try avoid ferries if I can, but I generally find them tolerable in the Philippines.

Early public ferry from Malapascua to Maya.
Public bus to Cebu City, no idea which bus terminal(North/South) or other.
Buses and vans to Malapascua leave from the North terminal which is near SM City. It's opposite the Bayfront Hotel Cebu. Vans are much faster than the bus but you might have more space in the bus. The van is 350 peso at the moment.

The boat from Maya port to Malapascua is every 30 minutes (last one at 5pm) and costs 200 peso. It takes about an hour (~40 minutes travel time but they always leave late).

Before buying the ticket for the boat, you have to pay the environmental fee for Malapascua (I paid 75 peso but I don't know if this is the local or tourist rate).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom