Quick HD tour of diving Papua New Guinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great video. The stills - are they picked from the video or are they stills form a different camera?

thanks

nice job! I like the mix of stills and video... I may do one like that for Cozumel, not sure yet. Ron took some amazing stills and I'd like to showcase them along with the video like you did. :D

... I would definitely change your thumbnail... you have some really great still shots that would be better.

so the diving looks similar to what I have seen about Fiji... mix of soft and hard corals, good fishlife big and small. What was your assessment. We are looking at Fiji for 2011.

robin:D

Hmmmm, PNG vs. Fiji....Of course PNG is harder to get to but the payoff is no other divers but you. Some sites in Fiji can get crowded. (We did both on live-aboards)

Fiji does have more soft corals and some really spectacular sites but the reefs, in general, in PNG are healthier and more dense with life.

About equal for sharks but in PNG we had basically 3 dives where they did some basic chumming. No silver tips in Fiji. We only saw fleeting glimpses of Manta and rays at both locations.

PNG had more large schools of jack, batfish, barracuda, etc.....

Macro, again the advantage goes to PNG. For example I don't think Fiji has any pygmy seahorses, not sure.

Fiji was mainly bommie diving where in PNG you had a variety of reefs, bommies, shallows and walls.

So in General PNG just has more of everything and you share it with less people. But the price you pay is it takes at least two days to get there. Given some of the deals Peter Hughes is/was running on PNG I would be tempted to repeat that before Fiji.

thanks, yeah, I was looking at price difference and PNG is not on our Bucket List for now. Fiji land-based will be 1/2 the price of a liveaboard to PNG. :shocked2:I think we would hit Indonesia before we go there, they seem to be about same price. Ron is really into macro life even though I love his WA stills.

anyhow, loved the video... looks like a great week with lots of variety!

robin

LOVE the interposition of the stills with the video -- I really think that is the way to optimize communicating what you saw with the viewer. The video gives the motion and the scale, and the stills give the color.

You are on my list of people whose photo threads MUST be opened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom