Quick Questions on Weights and Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know all the respondents in this thread have the best intentions and are trying to be helpful.

This is however the DeepSeaSupply forum.

The DSS forum is where one should get the "DSS" answer.

I am the "moderator" for this forum, and I do not wish "censor" anybody, but when the thread start veer from the "DSS Way" I may have remove or edit posts.

Backplates and Wings can be a confusing and intimidating for divers who may have never even seen one.

Answers that include how to use a combo Octo Inflator on a wing, or how great a STA is with XYZ back plate serve mostly to confuse. If you want to relate your experiences with such goods please do so outside of the DSS forum.

Tobin

What logic?
To clarify I was referring to weight pockets not just generic pockets for misc items.

Thanks for the input. I think the DSS BPW with a DUI weight harness is in my future. I like the thought of streamlining the gear with an octo inflator, but I certainly see the downsides now. I think it is manageable in an emergency but keeping things simple in those rare circumstances seems like a better idea.

Thanks again, Cameron.

To clarify I was referring to weight pockets not just generic pockets for misc items.

Thanks for the input. I think the DSS BPW with a DUI weight harness is in my future. I like the thought of streamlining the gear with an octo inflator, but I certainly see the downsides now. I think it is manageable in an emergency but keeping things simple in those rare circumstances seems like a better idea.

Thanks again, Cameron.

Cameron,

My advice is to wait until after you have your BP&W to buy a weight harness. You could very well end up needing one, but you might not.

Many divers who move to a BP&W find, after a careful weight check that they need far less ballast than they did before.

Some of this "belt reduction" is due to the SS back plate, some is due to the lack of inherent buoyancy compared to the BC they were using, and some is due to a renewed focus on weighting.

It's not at all uncommon for new BP&W divers to discover they need 10-12 lbs less than they did with their jacket.

Tobin

I am extremely buoyant, but I will wait just to be sure. I currently am using a simple weight belt (with a lot of weight) in pool dives. I can only imagine what it will take to sink my big rear in salt water.

I am the "moderator" for this forum, and I do not wish "censor" anybody, but when the thread start veer from the "DSS Way" I may have remove or edit posts.

Sorry, Tobin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom