Quick Questions on Weights and Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straegen

New Fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
After doing a bit of reading, I understand the logic of not using pockets attached directly to the unit. My question is has anyone used the BPW with a weight harness such as the DUI instead of the belt? If so how well did it work? Any other "tricks" for putting weight on besides a weight belt or the weight plates?

I couldn't find any mention of using an octo inflator with this rig. Anyone use one and is there any special need to know info? I was considering the Atomic SS1 or possibly the Zeagle Octo Z as I can get a really good deal on either and both are good breathers first and foremost with a handy secondary function.

Thanks for the help, Cameron.

After doing a bit of reading, I understand the logic of not using pockets attached directly to the unit. My question is has anyone used the BPW with a weight harness such as the DUI instead of the belt? If so how well did it work? Any other "tricks" for putting weight on besides a weight belt or the weight plates?

There is no problem using a weight harness. I will point out however that absent an inherently buoyant BC, and with a negative back plate, the amount of ballast required in either a belt or weight harness is much less that what you might think you need.

For example, if you are currently using ~18 lbs in a belt, with a SS plate and harness you may findyou only need 6-8 lbs in a belt. 6 lbs weight belts are much easier to deal with than 18+ lbs belts.

I couldn't find any mention of using an octo inflator with this rig. Anyone use one and is there any special need to know info? I was considering the Atomic SS1 or possibly the Zeagle Octo Z as I can get a really good deal on either and both are good breathers first and foremost with a handy secondary function.

There is nothing to prevent fitting an AIR II et al to a wing. These are not my choice for a backup reg for a number of reasons.

If you still want to equip a DSS wing with such a device, you will need to source a longer corrugated hose. The hose we furnish is properly sized for use with an inflator, but is too short to use with an AIR II.

Tobin

There is no problem using a weight harness. I will point out however that absent an inherently buoyant BC, and with a negative back plate, the amount of ballast required in either a belt or weight harness is much less that what you might think you need.
I am a big boy with a lot of buoyancy so some extra weight (beyond the plates) is necessary on pretty much any salt water dive. I was just wondering how comfortable dual harnesses are compared to dual waist belts.

There is nothing to prevent fitting an AIR II et al to a wing. These are not my choice for a backup reg for a number of reasons. If you still want to equip a DSS wing with such a device, you will need to source a longer corrugated hose. The hose we furnish is properly sized for use with an inflator, but is too short to use with an AIR II.
Thanks for the info. I have heard few good things about the Air2, but having tried the Atomic and the Zeagle both breath very well as well as a mid-ranged regulator to me at least at shallow depths. I haven't had an opportunity to push them, but I hear both work quite well at depth especially compared to the Air2.

Thanks for the info. I have heard few good things about the Air2, but having tried the Atomic and the Zeagle both breath very well as well as a mid-ranged regulator to me at least at shallow depths. I haven't had an opportunity to push them, but I hear both work quite well at depth especially compared to the Air2.

I am not an advocate for any of the combination "Octo Inflators" It's not a matter of breathing performance.

What the the "benefits" of using one? One less LP hose. That's a pretty short list

What are the potential negatives of using a combo Oct Inflator?

1) If you have to disconnect a free flowing Octo, you also just "lost" your power inflator.

2) In an OOA emergency do you want to try and manage the buoyancy of two divers with your "Octo" while also breathing from it?

Tobin

After doing a bit of reading, I understand the logic of not using pockets attached directly to the unit.
What logic?

Thanks for the help, Cameron.
I don't specifically use a DSS BP/W, but have a SS1 on my Halcyon rig. Like Tobin said, you will need a longer corrugated hose. 13" just doesn't cut it. How long is the issue. I first tried a 22" hose and found it was much longer than I needed. My goal was to balance having something hanging down to far with the need to be able to breath off of the octo/inflater comfortably and be able to turn my head with it in my mouth without it tugging. For me, an 18" hose works fine. I bought the hoses from diveriteexpress.com. The SS1 comes with the hose adapters you'll need. I don't know whether the Octo-Z comes with the adapters or not. My experience with the SS1, is that it breathes just as good at 130fsw as it does at 15fsw. Subjectively, it didn't breath quite as good as my Atomic ST1 primary, or my wife's Scubapro S600t/Mk25t, but it was darn close and was still an easy breather.

I stay out of the arguments for or against the octo/inflater. I simply tell people that ask me, that I use one, I've trained extensively with it, and I feel comfortable it will do it's job.

What logic?

I do not recommend hanging a 100% of your required ballast from the "rig"

Why? Because doing so will:

Make the rig very heavy to move about out of the water

&

It usually requires a larger wing.

Every bit of ballast that is moved from the divers "Person" to their rig increases the amount of weight the wing needs to support at the surface.

I don't specifically use a DSS BP/W, but have a SS1 on my Halcyon rig. Like Tobin said, you will need a longer corrugated hose. 13" just doesn't cut it. How long is the issue. I first tried a 22" hose and found it was much longer than I needed. My goal was to balance having something hanging down to far with the need to be able to breath off of the octo/inflater comfortably and be able to turn my head with it in my mouth without it tugging. For me, an 18" hose works fine. I bought the hoses from diveriteexpress.com. The SS1 comes with the hose adapters you'll need. I don't know whether the Octo-Z comes with the adapters or not. My experience with the SS1, is that it breathes just as good at 130fsw as it does at 15fsw. Subjectively, it didn't breath quite as good as my Atomic ST1 primary, or my wife's Scubapro S600t/Mk25t, but it was darn close and was still an easy breather.

What, besides one less short LP hose, do you see as the benefits of using your ST1?

Tobin

Cameron,

I agree with Tobin regarding the weight harness. No problem wearing a weight harness with a BP/W setup. My dive buddy wears a DUI Weight & Trim with her DSS BP/W + hog harness. She adjusts the weight harness so that it sits low on her hips. The yellow ditch handles can easily be located/pulled in an emergency.

If you're doing single tank diving, another way to place weight along your spine is to use a weighted STA. However, the beauty of the DSS BP/W system is that it is meant to be used without an STA and, due to its design, the BP can be separated easily from the wing for post-dive rinsing.

Another method of adding weight near your back is to place weight pockets on your tank cambands...although this would not work very well with an STA-less DSS setup. If you end up using an STA, this might be the way to go.

If you're currently diving AL tanks, you might want to try using steel tanks.

Good luck and dive safe.

Another method of adding weight near your back is to place weight pockets on your tank cambands...although this would not work very well with an STA-less DSS setup.

Why do you say this? This is what I do for trim -- I have two XS Scuba weight pockets on my upper camband, and put whatever's necessary in them. Works fine. (I prefer not to use the weight plates, because I like being able to take the weights out of the pockets to move the rig around on land.)

My husband uses a DUI weight harness under his BP/W without any problems.

I do not recommend hanging a 100% of your required ballast from the "rig"
The 100% part I can understand. It was "the logic of not using pockets directly attached to the unit" part of the question I didn't understand.

What, besides one less short LP hose, do you see as the benefits of using your ST1?
Tobin
I stay out of the arguments for or against the octo/inflater. I simply tell people that ask me, that I use one, I've trained extensively with it, and I feel comfortable it will do it's job.
:D

Why do you say this? This is what I do for trim -- I have two XS Scuba weight pockets on my upper camband, and put whatever's necessary in them. Works fine. (I prefer not to use the weight plates, because I like being able to take the weights out of the pockets to move the rig around on land.)
TSandM,

My comment regarding positioning the weight pockets on the tank cambands had to do with the ease of passing the buckle + cambands through the wing "window." With more stuff increasing the bulk on the camband, I was concerned that it wouldn't pass through as easily. If this setup works for you, then that's great. I'm glad it's workable. It gives the OP another option.

BTW, which XS Scuba weight pockets do you use? Quick-attach or slide-on? Did you have to mod the outside of the pockets to help anchor the velcro end of the camband? Just curious...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom