Quiet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure has been quiet around the PSD forum for a while now, but as far as I am concerned that is a GOOD thing! Whats going on in your neck of the woods guys?

Well, we just had a nice body recovery, recently, in a grove canal. The fella had been there for an estimated 2 - 2.5 weeks in his car. Pretty sad, actually. Indications are a simple low-speed accident. We are doing some significant organizing and training, just trying to tighten up the program.

Gregoire:
Whats going on in your neck of the woods guys?

Started our winter pool sessions this month. Will probably put a few people through ice diving again this year. Otherwise, waiting for spring!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dan

You know those cheese commercials where they do something and say “Ahhhh, the power of Cheese”?

Well I just say “Ahhhhh, the power of Ice”.
Very little so far so no calls.

With the winter we are expecting (Hoping for a nasty one) we might be very busy. People are already pitching a “B” about how bad it has been. They get shocked when we say we aren’t even wearing jackets or long johns yet. :D

That reminds me, I need to go down and buy stock in U-Haul. With the amount of complainers already we might have a mass exodus back to the sunny “C” state. :D :D

It should be an interesting one. I don’t know why they change their license plates and try to hide where they are from. With jacked up mega 4X4’s and the widest tires they can find coupled with the attitude that their new rig can get through and ice or snowstorm, we know instantly where they came from. Those rigs are the first ones we find on their tops or in the lakes.

They are shocked when we show up at their crash with a 2-wheel drive car.

Oh well, somebody has already said it so it doesn’t matter any more. It’s been Slow, Quiet, Dead. Slow, Quiet, Dead. Slow, Quiet, Dead. :D That’s a good thing.

Gary D.

PS: Hey Greg, did you see they closed the case on those DirtBags so it looks like your done diving Vantage for the weapons. And now we don't have an excuse to come and play.

Gary D.:
PS: Hey Greg, did you see they closed the case on those DirtBags so it looks like your done diving Vantage for the weapons. And now we don't have an excuse to come and play.

No I didnt see that! that bums me out I wanted to dive the river again. Did they get em on murder1 or did they plea it out?

Guess that means I am gonna have to come play over in your town! Still trying to convince my wife that we should go diving there this weekend! But she keeps shootin me out of the air with her I need that money to go cristmas shopping line :11: I might jsut have to leave her home :wink:

Our team hasn't been spending too much time getting wet since the water temperatures are starting to drop into the low 70s, and almost hitting the upper 60s... Brrrr.

< TEASING HERE ... Gotta rub it in! ... Florida is GREAT!!! >

We are actually fortunate and have been busy doing administrative stuff and getting ready for next year's dive season. All of our U/W Comm systems have been sent off for calibration and service (5 wireless, 1 hard wire system, 2 comm ropes). Last week we finished a pre-construction meeting with Boston Whaler. Our chief got $180k budgeted for a new boat so we are upgrading from our 1990, 25' Whaler to a 27' Whaler that is L O A D E D with options. We will have almost 46 additional square feet of deck space to work from, an enlarged pilot house with a full suite of marine electronics (displayed on two E-120 Raymarine monitors) and a cuddy cabin large enough for personnel to stand upright. Other features: 45 inch dive door, twin 250 HP four stoke Yamaha engines outboard transom brackets, stainless steel cutwater, RADAR, fire pump, tow rail tower, remote ACR spot light, outboard rescue handrails... live is GOOD and it is hard to believe how far we've come since I first joined the department. In the comming weeks, we will work to get more equipment serviced and get bids for other line items in our marine budget.

I brag because in the 80s we used to share a "piece of $#!^" boat with our local sheriffs office. Our dive team was a bunch of guys with recreational dive tickets doing "spaghetti searches" (no line tending but just swimming around in limited vis until we hit something). Our department at one point had over 70 divers. We increased out training and limited the number of people on the dive team to 33. It has resulted in a professional team that can resolve most cases in a short period of time. I will admit that like many teams, there are a few occassions when we get stumped (usually because we get bad information). The bottom line though is we have professional divers who do amazing work underwater. Our chief takes pride in our work and the Commissioners and citizens are supportive.

I will share that one of our BEST operations is one where we did NOT find the victim.

The family was so appreciative of our efforts. In 25 years I have never recieved such a heartfelt letters of thanks from the victim's family. Copies were sent to our Commissioner's and they too wrote letters of thanks. I'll write about that call later on.

I hope all have a happy and SAFE holiday season.

Blades Robinson
Marine Rescue FTO

Fire Station No. 2
3301 Bridge Plaza Drive
Vero Beach, FL 32963

LAT 27°39.133'
LON 080°22.261'
ICW Marker 140

You think you have a bunch of crap to dive out of, just look at what we have to put up with. These are the Coeur d'Alene Lake winter fleet. In reserve at the SD are 2 Raves and 2 Almar jets for responding to the other lakes. (Check out the last 6 pics, http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2714 )

Check out the dive door the FD added for us on the Fire boat. For you firemen, under the mid deck hood is a 400hp big block and all it runs is the fire pump. Puts a new meaning to "MORE POWER".

I keep saying we couldn't have a better relationship between Fire and us, well here is the proof. Some of our boats are even sleeping together. :D

Gary D.

Hey Gary, shouldn't there be a big circle with a slash through it on that roadsign you posted a pic of? Looks like you're letting them know where the car swimming area is :biggrin:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom