quitting smoking. how did you do manage to stay smoke free?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your book would inaccurate, if the best scientific understanding is to be believed. Losing weight is actually much more difficult than gaining weight for most people who have passed a certain threshold (about 10% overweight). This is difficult for people to accept.

The slim population clings to a sense of superiority and judges the fat and weak-willed. Those few who have successfully lost weight and kept it off are even worse. Just by suggesting that weight loss is difficult, I will be accused of making excuses (I am not fat, by the way). I have posted some of the scientific evidence in a thread I started--it's easy to find for anybody interested. What I found in that thread was that people were more interested in scolding fat people than in educating themselves.

You can lose weight by burning more calories than you consume, of course. It's just a lot harder for fat people. Their bodies are marvelously efficient at conserving energy (and fat).
It is really tough. I have a metabolism as slow as a nudibranch. As I get older it gets worse. I've gained weight on Weight Watchers! I mean, really following the plan. I have to take off points from the lowest calorie plan or I don't lose at all. I'm pretty sure I have to eat less than 1,000 calories to lose weight. I really don't eat much, unlike many overweight people that I see in my practice. I'm only 20 pounds overweight but let me tell you that as a short woman with a slow metabolism, it is incredibly hard to lose weight! I don't eat any junk, drink or anything, either.

The human mind can do some amazing things! I quit after smoking for way, way, too long. The diving bug was alot of my inspiration and that the New York State taxes were going through the roof helped!! When I would crave a cigar, (cigarettes were a piece of cake to quit) I would take about two or three deep breaths and tell myself that I was doing the right thing. You can do any thing you put your mind to! A simple goal is all you need to make it work. Find your goal or inspiration and work to meet them. Good Luck and think of the money you will have to spend on dive gear!!

Congratulations on your decision to quit. The hardest part is behind you now, I can speak from having done it twice once for 9 years and finally two tears ago I figured out that it was time again. The first time was while I was overseas, the Base physician gave me Nicorette and I handed him my package of smokes. So started my 9 years of tobacco free living, until I hit Florida and Wam! Like I never had quit. Six years running, I spoke with my new doctor (very anti tobacco) and he recommended that I go on a anti-depressant to calm the anxiety I had wanting a cigarette. Let me tell you, that made a world of difference, I haven't had the cravings at all. Anyway to put tis in perspective I started at 17 years old, and finally quit at 56 years young. Also, remember this, if your not ready to quit you probably won't, you have to make the decision and work at it. Best of luck to you, and don't give up.

I'm pretty sure I have to eat less than 1,000 calories to lose weight.

That *is* slow. I assume you've been checked for a thyroid problem?

Rates of metabolism can vary wildly from one person to the next, it seems. My wife literally eats more than I do. When she was younger if she didn't eat enough she just kept losing weight. These days she hasn't had to adjust her eating very much and just runs 10km 3 days a week and her body weight is stable at about 58kg (she's 5'8").

Me, on the other hand..... I have to work on it. I have a thyroid condition whereby my thyroid either isn't functioning or functions very slowly (it was only diagnosed because like a real man I left it until I finally had to go to my GP with a life threatening bout of depression--which I thought was an embarrassing form of mid-life crisis--and she sent me for blood tests....).

In order to maintain what I think is a normal body weight I have to really pay attention to what I eat AND make sure I'm getting enough exercise. My wife can maintain a normal body weight by eating whatever she wants and running 30km a week. I have to count calories, run 50 and lift weights a couple of days a week to achieve the same result. If I don't then my body weight stabilizes at 2 or 3 stone over what I think looks good.

I think the hardest thing for people starting with a deficit of being, say 10 stone overweight, is physically getting to the point of being able to exercise at a high enough intensity (and for long enough) to keep the oven stoked while running on fewer than normal calories. There is a risk of over....er (damn... my English is bad today....) ... er... overexertion or overstressing injuries of the skeleton (did that make any sense?)

Point is, it takes a while before you can exercise comfortably at a high enough aerobic intensity for an hour or so a day and until you can get there, you only have one dial you can turn instead of two.

R..

That *is* slow. I assume you've been checked for a thyroid problem?

Rates of metabolism can vary wildly from one person to the next, it seems. My wife literally eats more than I do. When she was younger if she didn't eat enough she just kept losing weight. These days she hasn't had to adjust her eating very much and just runs 10km 3 days a week and her body weight is stable at about 58kg (she's 5'8").

Me, on the other hand..... I have to work on it. I have a thyroid condition whereby my thyroid either isn't functioning or functions very slowly (it was only diagnosed because like a real man I left it until I finally had to go to my GP with a life threatening bout of depression--which I thought was an embarrassing form of mid-life crisis--and she sent me for blood tests....).

In order to maintain what I think is a normal body weight I have to really pay attention to what I eat AND make sure I'm getting enough exercise. My wife can maintain a normal body weight by eating whatever she wants and running 30km a week. I have to count calories, run 50 and lift weights a couple of days a week to achieve the same result. If I don't then my body weight stabilizes at 2 or 3 stone over what I think looks good.

I think the hardest thing for people starting with a deficit of being, say 10 stone overweight, is physically getting to the point of being able to exercise at a high enough intensity (and for long enough) to keep the oven stoked while running on fewer than normal calories. There is a risk of over....er (damn... my English is bad today....) ... er... overexertion or overstressing injuries of the skeleton (did that make any sense?)

Point is, it takes a while before you can exercise comfortably at a high enough aerobic intensity for an hour or so a day and until you can get there, you only have one dial you can turn instead of two.

R..
My thyroid was low when I broke my neck but lately it's been normal when it's tested.
My step daughter really needs a lap-band. She has well over 100 lbs to lose. I'm hoping she will do it next year when she gets better insurance.
Me, I keep myself close to my weight,when I can exercise. Last summer was bad, since I was totally unable to exercise with my knees. I was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months. I'm now walking 2-4 miles a day and swimming 45 minutes several times a week. It does help me to lose weight.

My thyroid was low when I broke my neck but lately it's been normal when it's tested.
My step daughter really needs a lap-band. She has well over 100 lbs to lose. I'm hoping she will do it next year when she gets better insurance.
Me, I keep myself close to my weight,when I can exercise. Last summer was bad, since I was totally unable to exercise with my knees. I was in a wheelchair for almost 6 months. I'm now walking 2-4 miles a day and swimming 45 minutes several times a week. It does help me to lose weight.

Yeah Tracy, I know you a bit. I'm just guessing that since you're about my age and gaining weight due to things happening that you can't completely control that you're not feeling that attractive right now.

I get that too. In some ways we're in the same boat (major assumptions in the next few statements)

....in terms of age... in terms of feeling "old"... "dry".... slow, used up and "out of the market" in terms of the opposite sex. I know you're married (so am I) but I also know that feeling desirable does not depend on whether or not you are married.

And being "sexy", in my book, had absolutely nothing to do with being thin. I can't tell you why I know this for sure but I do....

R..

Hello everyone,

i have been smoking since roughly the age of 14 (now 31).

i have only once quit smoking. last year around christmas. i had no cravings whatsoever for about 7 days and than i had a beer. i was sold, instantly i wanted a smoke and stupid enough i gave in. since than i was again smoking about 4 - 20 cigs a day depending on whether i am at work, or going out, or doing something else. on some days however i do not smoke at all.

i want to quit for the health benefit. i am exercising, diving and running on a regular basis and noticed that i am really short on breath. i also do fear cancer or any other smoking related disease when i am older. don't want my family and myself to have all these troubles simply because i am to weak to quit the fags for good.

I am now about 3 days smoke free and luckily experience no problems.

how did you handle the cravings after 4-5 days? how to go in a pub without having to smoke?

all tips are highly appreciated.!!!
best wishes for all who are quitting at the moment. lets keep strong and good bubbles!

Hello Christoph1,

It's great that you have decided to quit smoking.

A friend of mine is doing it right now. She has been posting her progress, almost on a daily basis, on her Facebook page. She would be a great person to write to or you could simply read her posts on FB and interact with her in that way. If you are interested send me a PM.

Keep it up! :)

Alcohol and coffee went out the window with the smokes for me. I really had to become a different person by cooking most of my meals, working out and cycling. When I started to see results in my body and the feeling of increased energy I was sold. Smokes are fun but feeling peak is even better. Then you get to become a health snob :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom