Quiz - 1 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physics

Water is able to conduct heat far more efficiently than air because it is:

• a. less dense than air.

• b. more dense than air.

• c. more fluid than air.

• d. less fluid than air.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How the hell can water be "more fluid" than air?

It's "brake fluid", "radiator fluid", "cerebrospinal fluid", "transmission fluid", "precious bodily fluids" and so on. If you go by colloquial usage, "fluid" is always a liquid. So, d'uh: water is "more fluid" because air is not a "fluid" at all. It's a gas.

PS in our next English lesson we'll look at spelling of the word "wusta"
w - o - r - c - h - e - s - t - e - r - s - h - i - r - e

I believe it was George Bernhard Shaw who coined the riddle about how you pronounce "ghoti" in English

Like "fish"

"gh" as in "laugh"
"o" as in "women"
"ti" as in "station"

The U.S. SAR Task Force document also describes the heat loss as being due to the difference in density so I am not sure the question is a bad one. PADI also loves to add a throw away answer or two in some questions which is what you get here.

United States Search and Rescue Task Force

The U.S. SAR Task Force document also describes the heat loss as being due to the difference in density so I am not sure the question is a bad one. PADI also loves to add a throw away answer or two in some questions which is what you get here.

United States Search and Rescue Task Force
It is even worst, as the document cited says:
"Water conducts heat away from the body 25 times faster than air because it has a greater density (therefore a greater heat capacity)"
I really do not get why one does not simple says "because it has a greater thermal conductivity". That simple!

PS in our next English lesson we'll look at spelling of the word "wusta"
w - o - r - c - h - e - s - t - e - r - s - h - i - r - e
I always thought that "wusta" ("woosta") was the town in Mass and "wusta-sheer" was the county in the UK and its namesake sauce.

I always thought that "wusta" ("woosta") was the town in Mass and "wusta-sheer" was the county in the UK and its namesake sauce.
Worcester - Wikipedia

Worcestershire isn't the only English county getting its name from its major city. Like Leicester/Leicestershire, Hereford/Herefordshire, Stafford/Staffordshire, Warwick/Warwickshire, Gloucester/Gloucestershire, York/Yorkshire, Oxford/Oxfordshire and Lincoln/Lincolnshire, to name a few.

Wikipedia:
When Wessex annexed Mercia in the 10th century, it subdivided the area into various shires of roughly equal size and tax-raising potential or hidage. These generally took the name of the main town (the county town) of the county, along with "-shire". Examples are Northamptonshire and Warwickshire. In some cases the original names have been worn down: for example, Cheshire was originally "Chestershire".
Historic counties of England - Wikipedia

Are we off topic enough now?

I'm pretty sure BA flight attendants didn't mean the town in Mass by "would you like a dash of wustah in your tomato" :D

I know what the question is asking. And I suspect that unless you look at it as a new diver with a 9th grade level of understanding ( normal course level of comprehension rules) with no doctorate in the field you will miss it. Water does not change temps easily, It takes a lot of energy to change it. So from the lab perspective water can not conduct easily if it will not change easily. However it easily forces change in surrounding media's because of its inability to change. This is another question that has to be worded as such to relate to the instructional level of a student to explain why you need a wet suit in 80 degree water to prevent being chilled down when in comparison when in 80F air you do not need thermal protection.

To treat the questions any differently would result in no one being able to meet the prereq's to take a scuba course. especially in this case when the density and heat transfer is a totally unused piece of information once the reason of why we wear thermal protection is conveyed and understood.

Many seem to want to nitpick but I think you need to remember that these tests for made for the LCD (lowest common denominator) in order for them to have a basic enough understanding to explain it to a student or customer. But hey, this IS Scubaboard so nitpick away and in the end, the question will still be the question. :p

I'm pretty sure BA flight attendants didn't mean the town in Mass by "would you like a dash of wustah in your tomato" :D
Brooklyn: Wustamattawi chuze gize? Fuggeddaboudit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom