Race/Power?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Volo Race is a full foot fin, while the Power is an open-heeled fin. The Power replaced the original Volo which had a few problems breaking at the hinge. The Power & Race are identical... and supposedly faster than the original Volos

eh.......... despite the fact that one is full footed and the other one isnt, they look different too, any reasons behind this?

The only thing different between the two fins is the foot pocket... you might have seen the original Volo which looks similar to the newer Volo Power... but the Volor Power and Volo Race have identical blade areas. The original Volo had a shorter center "V" channel and a broader hinge area with the name "Mares" written across the blade.

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually compared the old volos with the new ones? Does one really feel increased speed/power with the new Volo Power?

Sylvie

I doubt the newer Volos are 'faster' in any way... But I do know that they did it to solve the hinge-breaking problem faced on the earlier OH Volos.

Even on a visual level, you can already see that the extended center channel provides additional support on the hinge section and prevents it from folding too much.

Hi

I noticed that the blades are a bit different, but couldn't remember what it was exactly. I saw them about three months ago. My husband is considering buying them, but isn't quite convinced. He likes my new Volo's, but thinks they could be better in strong current, thus the idea of the Volo Power. Of course, the salesman we spoke to told us that the Volo Power is MUCH better than the regular Volo. However, we're a bit sceptical, and think he might have been just trying to make a quick sale. That's why I asked if anyone actually felt a difference while diving with the two fins, particularly when diving against strong current where the supposed extra power would come in handy.

Sylvie

No... difference isn't that big...SPECIALLY in a current.

Here's a tip for using the Volos... smaller, and faster flutter kicks work best (about a foot and a half apart max). This seems to allow the hinge, and water channels to works at their peak. Wider, slower kicks allow the hinge to flex too much and make them flex at an angle too shallow to thrust much water. I've also noticed that making small bicycle kicks (a small 1 foot circle) seems to take advantage of the Mares channels the most...specially with the Volos. These kicks might come in useful in a current when using the Volos. I own the Volo Race (fullfoot versions of the Volo Power) and I was pretty happy with them. I say 'was' because I recently switched to Jets due to my up coming training with GUE. But I have to say that the Volos, when used properly, are much faster than Jets using the FLUTTER kick, and don't tire your legs out as much.

One thing I have observed, learning from the GUE logic of frog vs. flutter... when you allow your fin to break your vertical plane (extend above or below you) you cause more drag... this is why they use the frog kick. But alas, the Volos are pretty weak when doing frog kicks. The hinge simply flexes too much. But I have tried different finning styles (most of which are weird), and the small flutters, and small bicycle kicks seem to work wonders for me on the Volos. Give it a try, and play around with the concept. The hinge actually works if you know how to flick your ankle just right. With very minimal effort, you'll find that the Volos do deliver as promised. You just have to find that really weird kick range where you're getting the most thrust that it can give, with the least amount of effort.

Unlike Jets or the older Quattros, the Volos do NOT deliver more speed the harder you kick. They do seem to have a maximum speed limit, since the thrust the Volos provide is based on kick frequency and not kick strength or amplitude. And unless you're The Flash, I doubt you can hit 10 kicks per second. :p

Hi John

Thanks for your detailed input. I'll save your message and make sure to try out the bicycle kick and the other kicks you suggested. Having spent my teenage years on a swim team, I think I instinctively use a basic swimmers kick like when doing the crawl, but I also use a basic scissor kick and keep my knees straight. I can't say I've ever consciously tried the bicycle unless I was in a vertical position. I will let you know if I notice any major improvements.

Sylvie

Back
Top Bottom