Raja Ampat in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JONATHAN A

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like we will be lucky enough to dive in Raja Ampat mid/end November for a week, hopefully at the Sorido resort on Kri Island. We'll have another week to play with, the last week in November, and are presently trying to work out what to do...

My girlfriend would rather that we spend the second week doing a land tour - trekking/cultural stuff - but we're a little concerned that we'll be into the wet season by then ? Our initial thoughts are to fly into Manado and across to Sorong and return that way, therefore we'd be looking at spending the second week in either Papua or more likely in/around Manado....

I'm sure a number of you that have taken this route have spent time doing stuff above water as well as diving...I'd really appreciate to hear what you can recommend...and what weather conditions we should expect ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jonathan

My husband I did a trip this Feb / March to Indonesia. We did Raja Ampat at the end but spent some time around Manado first. It was off season so on all the trips we did, including the diving we were mostly on our own with the guides.

You can do a trip into the beautiful volcanic mountains to Tangkoko Nature Reserve to see the tiny Tarsier monkeys and the Black Crested Macaque.

There is also the Minahasa highland tour which is a general cultural tour covering history, culture, tradition and local delights (such as BBQ'd bat, snake and dog).

The weather did not have much impact on our trip - the odd storm for an hour or so but there was always still plenty of sun in between. I guess it's just down to luck.

We also had a day trip diving in Lembeh - if you've not done that before I certainly recommend it.

You can read more about our trip on my report further down on this forum.

Hi,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my mail. I'm not sure that the bbq option sounds up my street, but the rest sounds interesting - I'll certainly have a read through your report too.

I would also be interested to hear if anyone out there decided to spend a week in Papua/Irian Jaya after or before doing their diving. Is it a realistic option with just a week to spare to explore the general area ?

Jonathan

If you are going to do the Tangkoko Nature Reserve, have your Manado area dive op book you someplace for after you finish diving at Lembeh (it is closest to Lembeh) and then you can do an afternoon/dusk jungle walk as well as a dawn wall and still have time to get to the airport. I have only been to the entrance of the park when we picked up a diver who had stayed at one of the Homestay places just outside the entrance. The diver enjoyed her visit and liked the family she stayed with a lot. There is a hotel in the park, but I don't know anything about that.

Also, do as many night dives as you can at Lembeh, it's great fun.

When will you be at Sorido in November? I will be there also.....One thing you will miss if you go to Manado area and not dive....Go to Lembeh Straits some of the finest and funnest diving I have ever done and you can do land tours from there.....This will be my third trip in less than 2 years!

Hi we should hopefully be in Sorido from 22-29th. Still trying to work out the ebst air route in - sounds like Makassar has more reliable flights ?

Lembeh sounds great but I think my girlfriend would like to spend a bit of time exploring topside so it's still up in the air...

You can do Topside from Lembeh and still catch a few dives.....I think I leave Sorido on the 22nd. Makassar does have more dependable flights to SoWrong and a nice airport.

I don't think you should dive in Lembeh it's very habit forming. Avoid at all costs.

Back
Top Bottom