Raja Ampat - Is It Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to northern Komodo and would agree that macro dedicated dives were not featured on our itinerary except for Pink Beach. Southern Komodo is supposed to have excellent macro but is difficult to dive at certain times of the year.

As for Raja, on our trip, the North was far better for macro. Our dive guide said this is generally the case. Pearl Farm Pier in the north was the top macro sight. Actually the sights all around Aljuie Bay (sp?) in the north were great for macro.

There are so many excellent macro dives in Komodo, both North and South, I am bummed to hear that you missed out on these. The island of Sangean (volcanic, black sand diving) is loaded with different species of nudi's, ghost pipefish, frogfish, octopus, and more. One of my absolute favorite night dives in all of Indonesia is located at Sangean.
Another excellent macro site is "Small World" on Banta for a night dive. I've never done a night dive there and not seen stargazers, loads of nudi's, lionfish feeding, snake eels, and more.
Day macro diving is also excellent at Wainilu (located near the Rinca Ranger Station but most boats don't dive this site), it's also an excellent night dive!

The south of Komodo, especially Horseshoe Bay, cannot be missed on a Komodo trip! Torpedo Alley rocks as a night dive (top 5 of all of Indonesia) and also as a day black sand muck dive for critters. Cannibal Rock and Yellow Wall of Texas, although stunning for their color, beautiful reefs and fish, if you look closely, both sites are overrun with different species of nudibranchs and amazing critters!

But if you are looking for fantastic critter diving all year round, head to Lembeh! You can't go wrong!

There are so many excellent macro dives in Komodo, both North and South, I am bummed to hear that you missed out on these. The island of Sangean (volcanic, black sand diving) is loaded with different species of nudi's, ghost pipefish, frogfish, octopus, and more. One of my absolute favorite night dives in all of Indonesia is located at Sangean.
Another excellent macro site is "Small World" on Banta for a night dive. I've never done a night dive there and not seen stargazers, loads of nudi's, lionfish feeding, snake eels, and more.
Day macro diving is also excellent at Wainilu (located near the Rinca Ranger Station but most boats don't dive this site), it's also an excellent night dive!

The south of Komodo, especially Horseshoe Bay, cannot be missed on a Komodo trip! Torpedo Alley rocks as a night dive (top 5 of all of Indonesia) and also as a day black sand muck dive for critters. Cannibal Rock and Yellow Wall of Texas, although stunning for their color, beautiful reefs and fish, if you look closely, both sites are overrun with different species of nudibranchs and amazing critters!

But if you are looking for fantastic critter diving all year round, head to Lembeh! You can't go wrong!

Thanks for the tip instructorchick. I have asked about the macro diving in northern Komodo a few times and most people seem to think it is only for big stuff and reefs. It's good to know there is good macro as well.

I've been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection- on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

Otherwise . . .Yeah it was worth it for the diving!:)

Wow, how did that happen? Is it a particularly easy place to pick up disease? I hope you made a full recovery both times :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom