Raja Ampat Liveaboard for a first timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelnurse777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
New to scubaboard and a first time poster so feel free to let me know if I am doing it all wrong...I have thick skin. I am looking for recommendations for a liveaboard in Raja Ampat, either Oct/Nov 2017 or Jan/Feb 2018. I have done a decent amount of research, and am well aware there are 40+ boats operating in the area.

A little about me - 30 something year old avid traveler, relatively novice diver. Under 100 dives, approx 30-40 dives in cold water, 15 or so in warm. I got back from diving a week in Palau and am hooked. This will be my first liveaboard experience.

What I am looking for - I am pretty set on diving Raja Ampat, most likely a 10-12 night liveaboard out of Sorong, as part of a probably 3 week trip to Indonesia. I will be a traveling alone. While a luxurious experience is not important, I am looking for a safe, knowledgeable, and friendly crew/boat....an easy going atmosphere towards a "less hardcore diver" wouldn't hurt ;p. I would like the creature comforts of an aircon room and ensuite toilet/shower. Opportunities for land excursions/kayaking/snorkeling would be a plus. While I am definitely budget oriented, it is a long way to go to dive so I am willing to invest the money to maximize the experience. $4500-$5,500 usd would be the general neighborhood.

I am getting ready to send out some inquires to the following boats - SevenSeas, Pindito, Amira, IndoSiren, Sahambaia, Tanbora, La Galigo, and maybe the Damai (high end).

With that in mind, I would love any feedback or input from you fellow divers. I appreciate your time!

We travelled on the Arenui for a 13 night greater Raja Ampat itinerary. It was excellent and I have no hesitation recommending it to anyone that will listen!

Have you checked ked out the Mermaid boats?

Also, check into singledivers.com. They have a Raja Ampat trip aboard Damai II coming up. It might be a bit over your price limit but otherwise should suit you perfectly!

For budget liveaboard, check Grand Komodo:

Grand Komodo Liveaboard Diving Schedules, Prices, and Booking

http://www.komodoalordive.com/GrandKomodoBrochure.pdf

I went with them twice to Komodo & once to Raja Ampat, also stay in their Raja Ampat Dive Lodge.

For mid-high liveaboard, Mermaid & La Galigo are pretty good. I went with Mermaid I for Bali-Komodo roundtrip. Went with La Galigo for 12-day ultimate Raja Ampat. I plan to do it again with La Galigo in November for Crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong for diving in Banda Sea & Raja Ampat.

We travelled on the Arenui for a 13 night greater Raja Ampat itinerary. It was excellent and I have no hesitation recommending it to anyone that will listen!
Thanks for the recommendation Chris! My local dive shop has used the areuni in the past and has nothing but good things to say about them as well!

@chillyinCanada - I did take a look at the Mermaid boats but for some, albeit silly reason I kinda want to go with more of a phinisi schooner type feel ; ) . RE the singlesdivers recommendation....thank you! I just checked out there website, lots of info and trip ideas. Their raja trip is in October of 2018...which might be a little too far out for me to really make any commitment too...still thinking about it though as it might be a good dive atmosphere for me as a solo diver.

@Dan_T - Good info! I am going to shoot an email to the La Galigo regarding availabily for Raja...and just maybe take a look at the itinerary for the Banda sea & Raja Ampat trip.

@Dan_T - Good info! I am going to shoot an email to the La Galigo regarding availabily for Raja...and just maybe take a look at the itinerary for the Banda sea & Raja Ampat trip.

I worked with the owner of La Galigo Liveaboard to set up the following itinerary. He also added similar itinerary 2 weeks earlier from Sorong to Ambon after we made this itinerary. So check with him about the space availability for the earlier one.

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

@Dan_T : Thank you for the itinerary. I sent an email to La Galigo and am just waiting to hear back. Unfortunately I think the dates may conflict with my schedule but we will see. If you don't mind, I would love to hear a little about your experience with Grand Komodo (i.e. boat condition, divers to guide, safety, etc) and maybe about why your now diving with La Galigo.

So far I have heard back from Damai and SevenSeas which both have availability. They are definitely on the higher end price wise for me, but maybe someone can convince me that I should drop that kinda of $$ for those boats.

I went with La Galigo Liveaboard in Dec 2015 for their 12-day Ultimate Raja Ampat because they fit perfectly with my schedule vacation & the price is right for the quality of the boat & service. Also, the owner is flexible enough to work with me to set up my next crossing trip in November 2017.

Grand Komodo is a good budget liveaboard that would also fit my need. However, their fix schedule & often fully book way ahead of time make it difficult for me to fit in their schedule & to work with them for chartering their boat like I do with La Galigo. If you can fit your vacation time with their schedule & not fancy for luxury diving, then you'll be happy with Grand Komodo liveaboard. They do have great DMs who know the area very well & can guide you safely. Typically they have 4 dives / DM ratio. They will fit the dives with your skill & experience. If you don't like to dive in fast current, tell them & they'll pick the dive in more mild current site. If you go with them & meet Weka or Johnny, please say hi from me.

Enjoy the dives!

Im a solo female diver too - With three trips on the Tambora I guess you could say I highly recommend the boat and entire operation. Precision.

@Dan_T - great detailed information! Sounds like you have quite the adventure set up for yourself this Fall on the La Galigo.

@Wingy - I will be sending Tambora an email...thank you for contributing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom