Raja Ampat...liveaboard vs land-based

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iolar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a Raja vacation for winter 2019 and from my research it looks like we can't book soon enough! Can't decide between a liveaboard (looking at either Siren or Aggressor) or Misool Eco-Resort. We love liveaboard diving, but I've read that Misool is THE place to dive in Raja. Anyone out there have experience with both land-based and liveaboard in Raja to give me your take on it? Thanks for any advice...

I've done both and think I prefer liveaboard mainly because land based you can be a little restricted or spend a long time getting from your resort (or even to the resort itself) to the dive sites.

Last trip I did the crossing with white manta from sorong to ambon, we spent a couple of days going through misool which was amazing but no better than the rest of the trip.

If I could afford a stay at MER I would go in a heartbeat. I've done 2 LOB in R4 and Missol is the best of R4.

I've done both and think I prefer liveaboard mainly because land based you can be a little restricted or spend a long time getting from your resort (or even to the resort itself) to the dive sites.

Last trip I did the crossing with white manta from sorong to ambon, we spent a couple of days going through misool which was amazing but no better than the rest of the trip.

Thank you for the thoughts- I'm going to check out white manta- I've seen it advertised just wasn't sure what is was like...

If I could afford a stay at MER I would go in a heartbeat. I've done 2 LOB in R4 and Missol is the best of R4.

So....I've read a lot on the area- what's MER? I've been looking at Eco-Resort

Raja - simply the best diving we have ever experienced. May-June 2017 we sailed with Indo Siren, and stayed at MER and Papua Paradise.

While Misool Eco Report was the highlight of the trip, Kri was great too. Everything was spectacular.

Raja - simply the best diving we have ever experienced. May-June 2017 we sailed with Indo Siren, and stayed at MER and Papua Paradise.

While Misool Eco Report was the highlight of the trip, Kri was great too. Everything was spectacular.

So you did the Siren AND stayed at Eco? A week for each?

We are planning a Raja vacation for winter 2019 and from my research it looks like we can't book soon enough! Can't decide between a liveaboard (looking at either Siren or Aggressor) or Misool Eco-Resort. We love liveaboard diving, but I've read that Misool is THE place to dive in Raja. Anyone out there have experience with both land-based and liveaboard in Raja to give me your take on it? Thanks for any advice...

You can check the following information where you will get the main differences between resort and liveaboard:
¿Resort or Liveaboard?

Hope this information can be helpful for your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom