Raja Ampat Liveaboard vs. Land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I heard great things about Raja Ampat and just started to look into itinerary for my first trip to RA. It appears to be a wide area so a liveaboard seems to be a good option to cover both Misool and central RA. Would 8 night trips including 3 days in south (2 days in Misool + 1 day in Daram) and 4 days in central (Melissa's garden, Kri & Mikson area) be a good itinerary in terms of hitting the best diving spots in the area?

Additionally, I am considering 3 additional days land base. Would you recommend south or central? I just want to go back to best sites to see nice corals and/or lots of fish. Proximity wise north seems to be easier. If diving in Missol is much better, I would go back there. However, I am not sure whether I can find a good and dependable local dive guide and a clean accommodation (basic is ok). If you have done it, do you contact or suggestions?

Would it be too hassle to travel to Misool by my own? Misool resort looks nice but is expensive for me. Would it be easier if I sign up for a longer liveaboard trip? 10 nights plus??

How is sea condition Dec - Mar? I avoid small liveaboard boats if sea can get rough. I would like to chose liveaboard with clean rooms and good dive operation while avoiding boats with bad engine noise and smell fume. Any suggestions for liveaboard operator? My price range is $3,500 and below for 8 nights. Since I am alone and my vacation days are flexible, I am willing to wait for specials or deals.

In regards to airline tickets, has any one had success buying tickets from the U.S. (preferably west coast) to Sorong all together? I figure buying domestic tickets with internaltion is beneficial in terms of pricing and baggage allowance. I was able to find tickets from Singapore - Sorong together (Garuda) that is cheaper than Jakarta - Sorong. But I was not able to figure US all the way to Sorong without separate ticket purchase.

Many questions. Will appreciate your experiences and insights.

Cheers.

I would book a Liveaboard for a longer period instead of doing both so you see more. So many amazing places in RA.

It is usually pretty calm sailing during the busy season. Not many over night crossings so most nights you will be at anchor.

I have booked International with domestic from US no problem with an agent, but I try to book with the boat if they offer the service because if flights get cancelled or changed(which they do quite often) they are usually on top of it since their passengers on on the flights.

Hi,

I heard great things about Raja Ampat and just started to look into itinerary for my first trip to RA. It appears to be a wide area so a liveaboard seems to be a good option to cover both Misool and central RA. Would 8 night trips including 3 days in south (2 days in Misool + 1 day in Daram) and 4 days in central (Melissa's garden, Kri & Mikson area) be a good itinerary in terms of hitting the best diving spots in the area?

Additionally, I am considering 3 additional days land base. Would you recommend south or central? I just want to go back to best sites to see nice corals and/or lots of fish. Proximity wise north seems to be easier. If diving in Missol is much better, I would go back there. However, I am not sure whether I can find a good and dependable local dive guide and a clean accommodation (basic is ok). If you have done it, do you contact or suggestions?

Would it be too hassle to travel to Misool by my own? Misool resort looks nice but is expensive for me. Would it be easier if I sign up for a longer liveaboard trip? 10 nights plus??

How is sea condition Dec - Mar? I avoid small liveaboard boats if sea can get rough. I would like to chose liveaboard with clean rooms and good dive operation while avoiding boats with bad engine noise and smell fume. Any suggestions for liveaboard operator? My price range is $3,500 and below for 8 nights. Since I am alone and my vacation days are flexible, I am willing to wait for specials or deals.

In regards to airline tickets, has any one had success buying tickets from the U.S. (preferably west coast) to Sorong all together? I figure buying domestic tickets with internaltion is beneficial in terms of pricing and baggage allowance. I was able to find tickets from Singapore - Sorong together (Garuda) that is cheaper than Jakarta - Sorong. But I was not able to figure US all the way to Sorong without separate ticket purchase.

Many questions. Will appreciate your experiences and insights.

Cheers.

If you are only interested in seeing central RA or just around the Dampier Strait, a 7 or 8 day itinerary will get you that on a liveaboard. There are resorts in both regions with Misool Eco Resort being the large one in Misool (aka south RA) and some homestay possibilities in both. Central has a few options plus homestays. The one that I have heard good things about from multiple people is Papua Explorers. I believe many of the resorts and homestays do not dive on Sundays; someone can correct me if I am wrong. If you are doing a 7 day liveaboard, you would have access to the same sites as staying in a resort just in the Dampier/Central RA region. the 10+ day itineraries would get you to Dampier/Central RA as well as down to Misool and perhaps also a touch of northern RA over by Wayag. I suggest you do at least a 10 day itinerary....11 or 12 is preferable and recommended. Liveaboards are nice because you get your solid 4 dives a day with no days being off such as Sunday. It's easy and efficient. :)

If you are doing land based to supplement, I would suggest central as I enjoy the central more overall. I find it fishier and denser and I like the dive sites a lot more. Misool has excellent soft coral and such but the action of central RA is what makes my heart skip a beat and go wow-wow-wow. :) You will have to check if they will do just 3 days vs a week at the resorts and homestays. I have been to all of RA and there isn't really any open water crossings or much exposed area that would make it susceptible to it being rough. I find wooden hull boats or phinisi style boats fine for this region and I have been there 2X by liveaboard. Dec to March is a stable weather period to be diving so you should be fine. I have dived it in Oct and April. I am returning next year to dive it 2-3X...It sounds ridiculous to do the same place 2-3 times in one year but it's my favorite. :) I have been on the Pearl of Papua which is a fine operation. I would suggest you stay in the upper deck rooms and not the lower deck rooms as there were CO and diesel fume problems below decks but none above decks. I've been on the Raja Ampat Aggressor and that is an excellent op, despite the issues you are reading about Aggressor lately. That boat, the CD, its crew and everything are excellent. I am booked on the Ambai for 2020 and have no feedback about it personally yet but I know of others who have been on the boat and had good things to say. Ditto their sister boat, the Seahorse.

Do not buy tickets from the west coast or anywhere in the US direct to Sorong all together. It will be super expensive. Buy a ticket to either Singapore or Jakarta and then buy local tickets with a local carrier that way. I usually am able to fly from San Francisco to Jakarta, Bali, or Singapore for under $800 round trip. I then buy a separate ticket with Batik, Garuda, etc. to get me to Sorong from Singapore or Jakarta, etc. It's usually just under $200 for that part. Indonesian airlines are weight based and not piece based anyway...I actually prefer that. I often buy prepaid baggage.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

There are also homestays which are more basic and can help with the budget. There are also budget liveaboards but there are also fancy liveaboards, as there are also fancy resorts. The question is how much time and how much money you have to work with and how fancy you want the liveaboard or resort to be, relatively speaking; perhaps that will be a good decision maker for you.

If you are only interested in seeing central RA or just around the Dampier Strait, a 7 or 8 day itinerary will get you that on a liveaboard. There are resorts in both regions with Misool Eco Resort being the large one in Misool (aka south RA) and some homestay possibilities in both. Central has a few options plus homestays. The one that I have heard good things about from multiple people is Papua Explorers. I believe many of the resorts and homestays do not dive on Sundays; someone can correct me if I am wrong. If you are doing a 7 day liveaboard, you would have access to the same sites as staying in a resort just in the Dampier/Central RA region. the 10+ day itineraries would get you to Dampier/Central RA as well as down to Misool and perhaps also a touch of northern RA over by Wayag. I suggest you do at least a 10 day itinerary....11 or 12 is preferable and recommended. Liveaboards are nice because you get your solid 4 dives a day with no days being off such as Sunday. It's easy and efficient. :)

If you are doing land based to supplement, I would suggest central as I enjoy the central more overall. I find it fishier and denser and I like the dive sites a lot more. Misool has excellent soft coral and such but the action of central RA is what makes my heart skip a beat and go wow-wow-wow. :) You will have to check if they will do just 3 days vs a week at the resorts and homestays. I have been to all of RA and there isn't really any open water crossings or much exposed area that would make it susceptible to it being rough. I find wooden hull boats or phinisi style boats fine for this region and I have been there 2X by liveaboard. Dec to March is a stable weather period to be diving so you should be fine. I have dived it in Oct and April. I am returning next year to dive it 2-3X...It sounds ridiculous to do the same place 2-3 times in one year but it's my favorite. :) I have been on the Pearl of Papua which is a fine operation. I would suggest you stay in the upper deck rooms and not the lower deck rooms as there were CO and diesel fume problems below decks but none above decks. I've been on the Raja Ampat Aggressor and that is an excellent op, despite the issues you are reading about Aggressor lately. That boat, the CD, its crew and everything are excellent. I am booked on the Ambai for 2020 and have no feedback about it personally yet but I know of others who have been on the boat and had good things to say. Ditto their sister boat, the Seahorse.

Do not buy tickets from the west coast or anywhere in the US direct to Sorong all together. It will be super expensive. Buy a ticket to either Singapore or Jakarta and then buy local tickets with a local carrier that way. I usually am able to fly from San Francisco to Jakarta, Bali, or Singapore for under $800 round trip. I then buy a separate ticket with Batik, Garuda, etc. to get me to Sorong from Singapore or Jakarta, etc. It's usually just under $200 for that part. Indonesian airlines are weight based and not piece based anyway...I actually prefer that. I often buy prepaid baggage.

There are also homestays which are more basic and can help with the budget. There are also budget liveaboards but there are also fancy liveaboards, as there are also fancy resorts. The question is how much time and how much money you have to work with and how fancy you want the liveaboard or resort to be, relatively speaking; perhaps that will be a good decision maker for you.
For your flight to Sorong from Singapore or Jakarta, are you saying that you wait until you arrive in Singapore or Jakarta to purchase that airfare or you purchase it separately online ahead of time with Garuda or whomever?

For your flight to Sorong from Singapore or Jakarta, are you saying that you wait until you arrive in Singapore or Jakarta to purchase that airfare or you purchase it separately online ahead of time with Garuda or whomever?

Purchase separately ahead of time. :)

Wow. This is extremely helpful. Will look into longer trips and may do additional dives (land base) in central if time permits. I have done several liveaboards so far but never been on wooden and phinisi style. Also, never stayed in lower deck. Is problems with diesel fume applies to lower deck rooms in general or is it Pearl of Papua specific based on your experience? Thanks again.

I would book a Liveaboard for a longer period instead of doing both so you see more. So many amazing places in RA.

It is usually pretty calm sailing during the busy season. Not many over night crossings so most nights you will be at anchor.

I have booked International with domestic from US no problem with an agent, but I try to book with the boat if they offer the service because if flights get cancelled or changed(which they do quite often) they are usually on top of it since their passengers on on the flights.
Thank you, Cal_diver. Would you mind sharing your agent contact info? Thanks.

You are right, Jakarta - Sorong could be more expensive then international flight with Sorong added on. I flew Garuda last year, Hong Kong to Jakarta to Sorong and it was cheaper then just Jakarta to Sorong with them. I booked directly on Garuda website.
I have been on a few LOBs in Indonesia, all phinisi style boats. Amira, Tambora, Indo Dancer what is the Indo Agressor now.The best one was Amira. And I always stayed down below, and never had issues with fumes. The wooden boats are creaky but I love how roomy they are.
On Amira, my room was right next to the camera room which was very convenient.
Amira office used to book my domestic flights, foreign cards didn't work for online bookings. But now, I use Garuda directly or skyscanner.com.

Wow. This is extremely helpful. Will look into longer trips and may do additional dives (land base) in central if time permits. I have done several liveaboards so far but never been on wooden and phinisi style. Also, never stayed in lower deck. Is problems with diesel fume applies to lower deck rooms in general or is it Pearl of Papua specific based on your experience? Thanks again.

I have noticed it is only an issue for more budget wooden boats and not always the case but it is something to consider the risk of. I always stay in lower deck rooms and I have been on 4 wooden out of the 11 I have been on. I had diesel and/or CO issues on 2 of them. All were more on budget end but with AC and private bathrooms. One of them didn’t have 24 hour power and had issues with the CO/diesel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom