Raja Ampat resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi to all Indo divers,

Like everybody else (I suppose :wink: ) I would like to dive Raja Ampat, though as I am also traveling with two non divers in my family party, hence I would not select a live aboard. I need a resort or landbased accoms where my better half would wait for me on a beach until I am finished with my diving. :cool2:

This is where it hurts : resort prices are unbelievably expensive for three people :shocked2:, although I am not a cheapskate, they seem ridiculously pricey for non divers. We cannot afford paying Sorido neither Misool resort for the three of us even for one week as we still have two weeks holidays to follow.

I have seen there have been new resorts opening in the last year : Raja Ampat Mansuang lodge, the Raja Ampat Waisai island lodge and Seahorse Paradise resort.

Does anybody have a report on anyone of these? would you recommand them for a family of three and a beach good enough for swimming, apart from the diving.

My last question is about climate and weather in august. What should I expect regarding weather, rain, wind and sea conditions.

thanks for any input.
Luko

Last edited:
We suppose you saw that next to Sorido is there original ECO resort. We stayed there for 3 weeks and though basic it was quite comfortable with over the water bungalows. They do not have air con but they will supply you with a fan and you can get nice breezes. The only thing is that you have to walk a little ways onto the island for the bathrooms and there is no hot water for shower but you really do not need it.
You will be staying on one of the best house reefs in the entire world and the white sand beach is beautiful. We have a feeling that for Raja it would be your cheapest option:D

Can't give you any info one way or the other about this resort, but it's another option. It's owned by a well-established liveaboard company with a decent reputation (standard class boats, not gold-platers). Might be worth a look ....

http://www.komodoalordive.com/RajaAmpatDiveLodge.htm

Can't give you any info one way or the other about this resort, but it's another option. It's owned by a well-established liveaboard company with a decent reputation (standard class boats, not gold-platers). Might be worth a look ....

Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, Grand Komodo's eco dive lodge in Raja Ampat
Yes that's exactly one of the 3 other resorts I had in mind, just mispelt the island Mansuar not Mansuang like I wrote :wink: ...

Scuba2adventures : As for Cape Kri eco resort, the original sister resort of the Sorido, is it only me to find that shelling out an average of 550USD per night for my party of three including 2 non divers is a little expensive for a shared bathroom accom? :confused: Sipadan is a 6* Peninsula for Holiday Inn prices compared to it! :(

Last edited:
As for Cape Kri eco resort, the original sister resort of the Sorido, is it only me to find that shelling out an average of 550USD per night for my party of three including 12 non divers is a little expensive for a shared bathroom accom? (

Agreed

Yep, that's where I read about their existence. :)
I am now calling for first hand reviews... if anyone stayed in one of these.
(btw which of one did you stay at, Ken?)

Luko...I have stayed Sorido 3 times in the last two years and headed there again in Nov...it is some of the finest diving I have done...Everyone I run into that stays at Kri love it....comparing Sipadan (been there done that) to Raja Ampat diving...well you get what you pay for.

High Desert,

Maureen Shimlock, the author of “Diving Indonesia’s Raja Ampat”, just posted a positive review of Raja Ampat Dive Lodge on Undercurrents. For obvious reasons I cannot paste her review here, but if you have a subscription to Undercurrents, take a look, you may find her comments useful.

Jason

Luko...I have stayed Sorido 3 times in the last two years and headed there again in Nov...it is some of the finest diving I have done...Everyone I run into that stays at Kri love it.
Yeah, well probably, I won't be there to contradict you :D... I am saying that for me and my family of non divers it would cost 7100USD for a week stay (non including transportation of course) or an average of 300USD per dive... for the prices they propose, they could at least provide Nx for free politics. :eyebrow:

....comparing Sipadan (been there done that) to Raja Ampat diving...well you get what you pay for.
Been three times to Sipadan, never got disappointed, saw hammerheads, mantas, and all the usual microscopic to big stuff that you obviously know. Still my favorite place above many, not sure there is somwhere that could be 3 times as nice...
You should give another try on Sipadan. :wink:

JasonG:
Maureen Shimlock, the author of “Diving Indonesia’s Raja Ampat”, just posted a positive review of Raja Ampat Dive Lodge on Undercurrents. For obvious reasons I cannot paste her review here, but if you have a subscription to Undercurrents, take a look, you may find her comments useful.

Just suscribed to Undercurrents to read the report. thanks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom