Raja Ampat vs PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Planning a trip to PNG or Raja Ampat in October 2008!

We are looking at the following liveaboards, and would appreciate your input:

1. Adventure Komodo (Raja Ampat)

or, in PNG:

2. Golden Dawn

3. Telita

4. Star Dancer

Would appreciate your input on:

(1) Raja Ampat vs PNG diving in October

(2) Liveaboard choice in PNG

My understanding is that Larry (AK) and Craig (GD) are extremely seasoned captains/divers in Raja Ampat and PNG, respectively. But we'd like to hear about your experiences and honest opinions about these boats and how you'd say they compare.

One of the drawbacks (for us) of the adventure komodo is the shared bathrooms, but we can easily deal with that if the level of service on the boat / quality of the diving in Raja merits it....

THANKS!

J.

PS: Will be posting this on the Australia-Pacific and liveaboard forums as well.

I have spent much time in PNG and would heartily recommend the Stardancer or the FeBrina. They are owned by Alan Raabe and he has forgotten more about diving and boats in PNG than most people will ever know. He also dives what, IMHO, are the best areas to dive, whether it's Kimbe Bay, Rabaul, New Ireland/Kavieng, Duke of York, Witus, Gazelle Peninsula........He is a very colorful character who makes your diving the best you'll have in a long time. He also hires the best guides I've seen anywhere.

I will be able to give good info on Raja Ampat in a month. Look at the Odyssea 1 for Raja Ampat. She is a brand new boat having been built in April. Private FULL SIZE head. No little "squat and squirt" bathroom in each room. Wonderful photo setup if you have cameras. I'll tell all about it when I get back.
Have a great trip!

Thanks for your input Allison!

I've heard mixed reviews about Capt. Raabe's personality. But, never having been to PNG, I have never had any experience with him and I am not really sure where this may stem from. Can you think of any scenarios that may have upset some guests on his boat while you were there?

I'll definitely look into the Odyssea 1 on Raja. Please let me know how your experience went when you get back, as well as your view on how the 2 different regions compare!

Thanks!

J.

jedah:
Hey guys!

Planning a trip to PNG or Raja Ampat in October 2008!

We are looking at the following liveaboards, and would appreciate your input:

1. Adventure Komodo (Raja Ampat)

or, in PNG:

2. Golden Dawn

3. Telita

4. Star Dancer

Would appreciate your input on:

(1) Raja Ampat vs PNG diving in October

(2) Liveaboard choice in PNG

My understanding is that Larry (AK) and Craig (GD) are extremely seasoned captains/divers in Raja Ampat and PNG, respectively. But we'd like to hear about your experiences and honest opinions about these boats and how you'd say they compare.

One of the drawbacks (for us) of the adventure komodo is the shared bathrooms, but we can easily deal with that if the level of service on the boat / quality of the diving in Raja merits it....

THANKS!

J.

PS: Will be posting this on the Australia-Pacific and liveaboard forums as well.
I just got back from a 10 day trip on the Star Dancer. We took the trip along the coast of East New Britain and on down to West New Britain. I loved the diving. It was a bit more tuned for finding small, unusual critters, and not so much for the big stuff. I did see a hammerhead and a dugong, so no complaints on that! I got a lot of great macro shots (Nikonis w/ extension tubes) We did a little muck diving and a lot of drift diving, which I liked.

It rained quite a bit, which is expected thet time of year (January). Because of that, sometimes the vis was a little off. Most of the time it was fine.

The countryside is really beautiful. Talk about remote! I didn't see an electric light or another boat with a motor for 10 days. We did one land tour, taking the 2 dive boats up a river to a cave, and on the way back stopped at a tiny village. People as interested in us as we were in them. And talk about remote, simple life... Also, every time we stopped a small battalion of kids in dugouts appeared out of nowhere. Very cute, playful and fun.

The last day we did a tour of Rabaul to the WW II Japaneese caves. We also visited a small village where a few of us bought some nice woven bags. We went through the part of Rabaul which was covered with volcanic ash and then got quite close to the volcano. The water in that part of the harbor was boiling and the volcano was spewing out black smoke and steam. Ay night you can see that it is red from ? lava ? smoke? at the top.

I can't say enough about the service. The divemasters were great! Every time they said we might see a whatever, we did. I never find anything by myself, so I was happy to stay close to them. They seemed to enjoy what they were doing, too. There were 13 of us, and we dove in two groups. So, it wasn't crowded.

The cabins were very nice. Mine had a shower w/ bathtub in one room; the sink and jon in another room. The bedroom was very spacious. The sheets were turned down every night. They even did laundry, which I thought was above and beyond the call...

The food was wonderful. The chef really knew what he was doing. Every meal had a choice of two entrees, two salads, lots of veggies. The have several huge freezers so we had steak, lobster, chicken fish etc etc. Interesting flavors, well seasoned; a variety of cuisines. We had fresh bread and muffins after the 2nd dive every day. The open bar at night was a nice perk, too.

Peter and Alan were both on the boat. Alan saved my trip. I got an ear infection, which I have never had before. It was almost impossible to clear my ears. I was sure that my trip was a gonner, but Alan battered me with all sorts of drops and pills and I was better in a day. I only missed 1 day of diving which I spent pouting in my room, bemoaning my demise. I couldn't believe it when I was able to dive the next day.

Peter is a character. Great with cameras, too.

Anyway, the trip was great.

If you have any time left for more diving, you should try Tawali Resort near Alatau. It is a bit of a hassle to get there, but well worth the trip. You fly to Alatau and then take the resort bus for about 2 hours. The bus is a comfy tour bus with big windows and A/C. The ride is really pretty. One dive I made there was truly the most beautiful I've ever made!

Have a good trip!

WOOHOOO!!!
I just got back from my trip. As much as I loved the Raja Ampat part of the trip, I would still have to say PNG. RA is even more remote and away from any people. The islands are, for the most part, uninhabitable with sheer cliffs and no water. It is the vis that surprised me the most. I am used to the png vis which is not like the gin clear waters of the caribbean, but the vis in RA was a bit of a disappointment. The biodiversity is very good, almost on par with PNG. I have to admit that I missed the interactions of the local people like you get in PNG.
As soon as I get my photos weeded out and learn how to post them on a report, a detailed one is coming.

Thanks for the information on this thread, it was useful and we will plan one of the live aboards for next year.

Hi Jedah,

You should look at SMY ONDINA as an option for a live aboard in Raja Ampat, we have run 7 full charters on her since 2004 and have 3 this year. Approximately 50% of the guests on this years trips have been on at least one of our other trips on Ondina in the last 3 years.

Peter Marez posted a trip report on his trip on SMY ONDINA in Nov 2006, it is the most complete trip report I have ever seen on any trip, anywhere, anytime, and on any subject . see his report here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2652074#post2652074

Since nobody has offered any comments on the GD, I'll chime in. It's a fantastic boat. Craig is indeed a very experienced captain who clearly loves what he does. He will dive three or four dives a day with the passengers, usually calling sharks. James is also a wonderful guide, very good at finding hidden creatures. The boat itself is extaordinarily stable even in very rough seas. Boat is small enough to be intimate but not so small as to be cramped. Food is the best I've had on a vacation. Diving is very much do as you please. No handholding. GD also offers a number of very different and unique itineraries. In sum, great boat, great diving, great experience, highly recommended.

reubencahn:
Since nobody has offered any comments on the GD, I'll chime in. It's a fantastic boat. Craig is indeed a very experienced captain who clearly loves what he does. He will dive three or four dives a day with the passengers, usually calling sharks. James is also a wonderful guide, very good at finding hidden creatures. The boat itself is extaordinarily stable even in very rough seas. Boat is small enough to be intimate but not so small as to be cramped. Food is the best I've had on a vacation. Diving is very much do as you please. No handholding. GD also offers a number of very different and unique itineraries. In sum, great boat, great diving, great experience, highly recommended.

I 2nd reubancahn, his experience mirrors my own, been on GD 4 times, will be going again as soon as time and money permit. GD is the only boat that travels around all of PNG, which means year round diving with all the variety PNG has to offer.

As for the difference btw PNG and Raja Empats, both have some of the highest levels of species diversity, but it seems from the accounts I've read that there are not as many big fish and sharks in RE as in PNG. I'm going to Ambon/Banda in 10 days, so then I will have some direct experience with North Eastern Indo diving for comparision to PNG.... -Andy

Back
Top Bottom