Raja Ampat Western Food Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the very early stages of researching what I hope will be a trip for my wife and myself next year to Raja Ampat *FINGERS CROSSED* . I'm the scuba diver in the family (she snorkels) so have been wanting to go to Raja Ampat since I first learned of it.

My concern is that my wife is a very picky eater. I am too to some extent, but not nearly the level she is. In addition to not eating seafood, I know she will be hesitant to even try anything local. Some resorts list western food, but no real details and not sure if those are only sometimes available or not. So of course the idea of going to a remote island where there is no option of going to another restaurant for over a week has us a little nervous.

Do the main resorts generally have western options available the whole time? I saw somewhere in a review mention of burgers and pizza, but that may have just been a fluke single meal.

Since I'm still early stages of researching, I obviously don't know which resort of course. Misool and Sorido Bay both stood out due to air conditioning, but I'm open to other suggestions too. Waisai (maybe Meridian Adventure) could be an option due to multiple places near each other, but not sure how the diving compares around there.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know this is an extremely ridiculous thing to ask about when going to such a remote part of the world. I agree local food is a part of the experience normally. My wife would of course be content going somewhere like Florida, but I'm the one wanting to go see these amazing reefs.

Once we narrow down a resort, I'll of course contact the resort itself with this and any other questions. Just trying to do my background research first.

Thank you everyone!

Oh, those Americans...

I'd say it looks like you should send your other half off to Florida and wish her well, while you head off to Indonesia! :wink:

Yeah...but I don't like sleeping on the couch....

In all seriousness I think we will find a place that works just fine. I'm almost certain a place like Misool would work for her, but always good to hear from others.

I have been to Misool Eco Resort & Raja4 Divers. Both resorts should be able to accommodate your western food preference.

Many resorts post their menus on-line or provide some description in their promotional material. You could also reach out to other travelers on the TripAdvisor regional forum for your destination.

Was at Papua Paradise last year and my recollection is that your wife would be able to find something to eat at every meal. The meal was buffet style with a fairly large number of options. The options varied between local and more western as I recall. Not extremely picky so I can't be definitive but I think she would be OK.

I hear Hawaii is nice.

I am sure Sorrido will do all they can to accommodate you as they are awesome, just be realistic with the outcome.

What is Western Food? The Standard American Diet? The Mediterranean Diet? Italian? German?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom