Question Raja Ampat-Where to Dive With No Muck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip to Raja Ampat, possibly by diving on a liveaboard and then on to a land-based resort. I am not interested in muck diving or high current/reef hook diving. What locations in RA should I avoid in my research? Thanks for any input!

Will see what others say, but immediate thought was that muck diving should be easy to avoid. Raja is more known for wide angle than muck. Probably only 1 or 2 muck dives out of 30ish dives on a 10 day liveaboard (as long as you don’t book some trip that specifically mentions muck diving, would be kind of odd but I am sure someone could make a muck diving trip to Raja if they really wanted to ). Would recommend you go on the couple of offered muck dives on a normal liveaboard anyway , but otherwise just take a nap. Think at least one of our muck dives was at night.

With regards to currents. In general I don’t really like strong currents either because you burn more air and it is harder to maneuver my camera—but because the currents are constantly changing based on the tides I would be prepared to deal with a fair amount of current even if the boat is trying to avoid them. At some of the sites , the animals tend to come out when there are at least medium currents. We had some people on our liveaboard specifically asking the crew to not totally avoid the currents because that also might mean avoiding the animals. The crew tried to strike a medium with mild moderate currents. More than once we wound up on plan B or C instead of our planned dive site because the crew didn’t like the look of it when they went for a current check. Some sites would be undiveable and downright dangerous in a truly strong current (think downwelling).

I think I only used a reef hook in 2 dives out of 45 , might have been told to carry it on another dive or two but didn’t use it.

As an aside , if you are traveling by yourself you may be a little more at the mercy of who else is in the liveaboard or land op with you. If 6 people want to do one thing and you want to do something else the op is probably going to defer to the six people. Going to be very difficult for resort to tell you what the other divers preferences will be when you are booking your trip. Since I often travel solo , I am kind of just used to going with the flow since not much choice.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy it !

I stayed at Papua Dive Explorers last year (Cape Kri area) and out of 39 dives only used my reef hook once. Most dives are wide angle, corals and fish - there are a couple of macro sites but the resort has 4 boats so there is plenty of choice each day. The advantage I found being land based was if the site you planned had too strong a current on arrival we simply moved to another and returned later or another day.

Back
Top Bottom