Ram mounts with Ikelite 1 inch ball?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Grandy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone tried this? The ram mount clamp seem to be significantly less expensive than the Ikelite ones....

I need to replace my Ikelite quick release 1.25 " ball stems with the 1" mark II style... Ram just happens to make a 1" ball connector... which are not only less expensive but much more available...

Thanks
Dave

hey thanks..
I have thought of going that route (locline) but I live in Rural Canada...and no local supplier with it in stock.. and although there is a dive shop in almost every neighboring small city.. selection is sometimes limited... and I support my local dive shop when I can .. but I do purchase a bit online... unfortunately this is online stuff so I can't really play with "this and that" before I buy... that being said..... the ram ball? is it aluminum or rubber ( perhaps rubber coated aluminum)?
Thanks Again!

A local reef/saltwater aquarium store might stock locline since the intended utility is for plumbing. You can buy it direct too.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the mounting plates are aluminum and the ball is a very dense hard rubber. Just enough to allow the clamp to compress and get a grip on it.

A local reef/saltwater aquarium store might stock locline since the intended utility is for plumbing. You can buy it direct too.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the mounting plates are aluminum and the ball is a very dense hard rubber. Just enough to allow the clamp to compress and get a grip on it.

hard to tell if the clamp will get a grip on the unintended ball..as the ikelite ball is aluminum with a single rubber o ring around it in a groove... I think its going to have to be one of those try it and see things...

Loc-line is used to direct coolant in almost all industrial milling machines and drill presses. Acklands-Grainger (Canada) has it and if you buy industrial it's a lot cheaper than in camera / dive stores.

Loc-line is used to direct coolant in almost all industrial milling machines and drill presses. Acklands-Grainger (Canada) has it and if you buy industrial it's a lot cheaper than in camera / dive stores.

Ah yes!!!... that's where i have seen it before .... CNC machines... no shortage of industrial supply stores in Saint John NB... Thanks alot!

Just a note on the loc line. It is way less expensive than my ultralight arms. Way less. However, it squeaks when you move it and it doesn't offer much support for heavier strobes out of the water. Not a huge deal unless someone not very familiar with it tries to hand you your rig by grabbing one of the loc line arms. You kinda watch helplessly as the rest of your rig flops and bangs against something.
My ultralight arms were over 400 bucks US but well worth it.

As you can see... below my gear is pretty light stuff... but i'll definitely watch for that! thx
Scuba video tray.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom