Rant about scuba instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PA/NJdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am teaching my first class after becoming a PADI instructor. I decided to go with PADI because the majority of the shops in my area are PADI shops. I am one of four instructors involved with teaching the class.

I know there is a thread on here about swimming and diving, but I have to tell you, if you are afraid of water and don't swim very well, don't take up diving. Take swimming lessons first and then if you still want to learn how to dive, you can after learning how to swim.

The first night we had six students do the swim. The one person did the swim but never put her face in the water and held on to the side of the pool in the deep end. It hasn't been much better since then. She will do the skills in the shallow end, but we cannot get her to swim underwater into the deep end. There is a slope going down to the deep end and she stops half way down the slope. Her breathing is so shallow and fast at all times. When we did the giant stride entry, they were supposed to stay in the deep end. She did the entry but immediately went to the shallow end and stayed there. I am having some ethical issues here. I feel like I am doing a disservice to her. The lead instructor already knows she will not be going up to do the certification dives and they plan on recyclying her into another class, but she just has such fear that I don't think three classes will help her. The other instructors believe she will need to be recylcled but, she that she is doing ok. I later found out she wants to learn to dive because she had been in Cozumel and almost drowned. I don't think that is a good reason to learn to dive. Take swimming lessons first. But, since I am the low man on the totem pole as far as being an instructor, I really don't have much weight. But then I'm caught with my ethical issues.

The problem is, we have two students like this. The other student can swim but is definitely afraid of the water. She has problems with every skill. She is her own worst enemy. Before I introduce a skill to her, she already says she won't be able to do it. She will at least go in the deep end but needs to surface immediately.

Then we have another student that has shown up drunk twice. (What a great introductory class for me.)

I had some problems when I first learned to dive and needed some extra work with the mask removal, but I wasn't afraid of water. I feel bad that I'm ragging on them knowing that I had some problems when I first learned to dive.

Thanks for listening and letting me write a book. I'm just having some internal, ethical problems dealing with all of this.

Stacey

As for the drunk, I would refuse to even let him in the water. I would not care if I was low man on the pole, I would tell the other instructors that I would not allow it, and if they have a problem, I would leave.

The two other girls I simply can not understand. Thy are afraid of the water, and in on case will not even go under the water, yet they want to dive? This makes no sense what so ever!

The one that can swim good, sounds like she just needs osme more time in the pool to become completely comfortable. The first one really needs to be sat down and talked to. She is diving for all of the wrong reasons.

Some quick responses:

The drunk. Toss him before he gets himself killed. If he can't keep from being drunk at the class, you know he's not going to be able to stay sober diving. He should look into treatment.

The scared swimmer... experience should start to relax her. She might take a while and demand some extra work, but it's the challenges such as that which brings the most rewards to being an instructor.

The non-swimmer. I would suggest that if she needs to be recycled, she have it explained to her that you teach scuba, not swimming, and she would be better served taking swimming lessons until she is comfortable enough with the water to try the scuba course again. If her issues were just swimming based, that's one thing, but given that she continues to have problems being in the deep end when positively bouyant w/ scuba gear, she has comfort issues that will need to be addressed by becoming comfortable in the water.

Well your first class certainly does not sound like a walk in the park.

I agree - the drunk should not be allowed in the pool. I'd even be tempted to call the cops, don't know about your area, but driving drunk is illegal here.

As for the girls (and I've even run across a couple of guys who fit this bill - so people shouldn't start thinking it's a "girl" thing) being afraid of the water yet still wanting to dive. I think I'd try to find out why they want to dive. Just because their significant other dives is not a good enough reason.

Suggest private lessons - a one on one may help them get over their fear factor. Having a dedicated resource with their eyes totally on them, and taking what ever time is required for them (without the real or imagined pressure from their fellow classmates) will likely allow them to relax and enjoy the experience. Being able to take tiny baby steps often allows a nervous student to suceed. I remember one occassion where the intructor had me do a one-on-one with a student having problems doing the mask clearing. I spend a whole pool session with him, gradually building up the skill, to the point at the end of the session he was able to demo successfully to the instructor. I still run into him every once and a while, and he still says thanks. :)

Others have addressed the specific student issues so I won't bother with those. The ethics is a different matter, one I can directly relate to. The first class I ever toght was the class from hell. I was teaching for a local shop and didn't agree with the way they wanted the class tought. This led to first becomming an independant and later to opening my own shop. In fact I do not know of any other local shop that I would be willing to teach for. As a new instructor (or even just new to that shop) you should be open to suggestions and new ideas but as a qualified instructor you should know right from wrong and be able to make prudent decisions. Even though you are not the boss you are responsible for what you do.

Mike is correct. Ethics are very important. You have to live with yourself and your decisions. Explain your concerns to the lead instructor privately. Discuss the issues with him. You may come to an agreement you can both embrace. If not, as a PADI instructor you can teach independantly.

One other point, you said, "I decided to go with PADI because the majority of the shops in my area are PADI shops."

That's not a particularly good reason for choosing an agency. Agencies, like people have different philosophies. You need an agency where you are comfortable. That agency may very well be PADI, but you should take a long hard look at both yourself and PADI to be sure. If after long reflection you are happy stay where you are, if you are not it would be time to examine other possibilities.

Good luck in this class and in your future.

Originally posted by PA/NJdiver
I know there is a thread on here about swimming and diving, but I have to tell you, if you are afraid of water and don't swim very well, don't take up diving. Take swimming lessons first and then if you still want to learn how to dive, you can after learning how to swim.

I'm a big advocate of not requiring swimming 200+ yards to be able to SCUBA dive. I'm very comfortable in the water, like to hang around in the deep and swim around a bit under water, but I can't swim long distances... just never practiced. I will take offense if anyone tries to tell me I shouldn't be diving because of it. With full gear on, I'm more competent in the water than most of the people who were in my class, even the excellent swimmers. If you are AFRAID OF WATER, no you shouldn't dive.

But if you're very comfortable in the water, in good shape, but can't swim two football fields, who cares? That's why you have fins, a snorkel, a BC, and a wetsuit. I absolutely cannot imagine a situation where a diver will be reduced to having to swim with nothing but swim trunks on. Give me a snorkel, or a pair of fins, or a wetsuit or a BC and I can go as far as you want on the surface.

Good luck with the rest of your class! :)

Had class tonight and the one female that did the swim decided to drop out.

The one that showed up drunk has been ok since we talked to him. We gave him an ultimatum and so far so good. He's actually very good with his skills. He's one of the better ones.

The other woman that is afraid of the deep end finally did make it there underwater this evening. Interesting, though, we have had two female instructors working with her but tonight we had a male instructor with her and she did well going to the deep end and swimming around. But we did another deep water entry and as soon as she hit the water, she went to the shallow end again. We talked to her this evening and she really wants to learn to dive so we will probably do private classes with her after this session. Her husband is in the class with her, but they don't even look at each other in the pool. He lets her be and concentrates on his own skills.

Walter and Mike I absolutely agree with you. I don't particularly care for any of the shops in my area. My boyfriend is a NAUI (and PADI) independent instructor. I will have to go that route as well. I have asked him how he deals with these kinds of students. After the swim, he would have never let them in the class in the first place. He would suggest swimming lessons (and he has done this to several students) and then come back. Several students have taken his suggestion and they turned out to be very good divers.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Stacey

Stacey,

I'm an independent YMCA Instructor. I have lots of leeway, but the Y does tie my hands in a few areas. Most agencies have swimming requirements to pass the course. The Y also has swimming requirements that have to be met before I can teach water skills. To take a Y course you have to complete a 200 yd swim. To pass the course you have to complete a 300 yd swim.

jonnythan,

You are certainly welcome to your opinion and there are agencies which have standards which allow you to learn without being able to swim very well. PADI allows you to substitue a 300 yd snorkel for the 200 yd swim and NAUI now allows 15 stroke cycles instead of 225 yds. Individual instructors may not allow those options, but the agencies do. Shop around, you'll find an instructor willing to let poor swimmers and non swimmers dive. The rest of us will still be out there making rescues. Take offense now because if you can't swim 300 yds you shouldn't be diving in my opinion.

Originally posted by Walter
The rest of us will still be out there making rescues. Take offense now because if you can't swim 300 yds you shouldn't be diving in my opinion.
Why do you feel I shouldn't be diving? What exactly do you, as a swimmer, feel you can do better than me, a not-so-great swimmer, while in SCUBA situations?

Back
Top Bottom