Rant about scuba instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear readers:

[sp]Regarding the student who appears to drink inappropriately, it might be of value to determine if he has an alcohol problem or an anxiety problems and if “self medicating.” Both are serious situations but need somewhat different approaches. :help:

Being “water shy” and inebriated at the same time are two serious problems.
:boozer:

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Originally posted by hoochykoochy
One more point..I'm poised to take my first boat dive and some of the comments on this thread have done nothing to "ease" my concerns. Not only will I be adding sharks to my "worry" list, but now pirates as well!!

Well said HoochyKoochy (does that name have the same connotations in the UK as it does in the US)?:confused:

To help "ease your concerns":
Sharks - Tell them you are a Lawyer(Barrister?), they will leave you alone as a professional courtesy.

Pirate - send the after the student mention above with drinking problem, he's bound to have a bottle of grog stached somewhere.
:jester:

P.S. Lawyers and Pirates, no offense intended. hehehe

kd4rfa

Originally posted by kd4rfa

Pirate - send the after the student mention above with drinking problem, he's bound to have a bottle of grog stached somewhere.

That comment about Pirates looks like it was typed while I was in the grog. And I wasn't. It should have read:

Pirates - send them after the drunk student mentioned above, he is bound to have a bottle of grog stashed somewhere.

Sorry about that. :embarrass:

Originally posted by hoochykoochy
FredT..you must have fallen out of the Badluck Tree and hit every branch on the way down..Still alive though, good work fella!!

Actually I feel as if the goodluck tree was involved! I have well over 5000 hours under the Ocean on breathing gear, the great majority of it recreational diving of one form or another. Spend that much time offshore and eventually a bad day or two will come around. The trick is to survive it and learn from it. If sharing the experience on the board saves someone else the learning experience that is a good thing.

As I explained to my son and his Boy Scout troop many years ago.

"I am not here to prevent you from making mistakes, for that is how we learn. I made many mistakes and learned from them. You will make many mistakes during your life, and you will learn from them. MY JOB as father and Scoutmaster is to make sure the mistakes you make are NEW ones!"

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom