Rant: Why do so many locals insist on backing into parking spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's really about backwards or forwards, I think it's just about competent or incompetent driving.
You got it, brah. And backing in takes way more competence than just pulling in.

Lot of non sequitors in the replies here..............

You guys are missing the point. This is a unique habit here in it's numbers, was not common in California and most places I have driven. It is so noticeable because so many are poor at it and tie up the whole parking lot while they thrash away.

Sitting in the sun baking away waiting for someone to park where they could have just pulled in is the point. Yes, it is Hawaii, but Honolulu traffic sucks, and the work commute is still a commute.

Somebody missed the point but who is an open question...

Backing into parking spaces is safer and the time lost getting into the space is recovered when it comes time to leave.

Of course, if "the locals" are taking ten minutes to back into a parking space, maybe you should be asking yourself why you aren't? When in Rome...

You might try switching to decaf or leaving home five minutes earlier.

Safer than reversing out into traffic you can't see. That is so obvious I can't believe I have to explain it.

Didn't take you long to start on that again did it? I guess cars and traffic are different where you live right? Reverse parking, traffic jams and automobiles are different in Lopaka-land to the rest of Planet Earth.

I had to respond to this without even reading the rest of the posts... sounds a hair insulting at the end... but anyway, I suspect Lopaka is talking about 1-3 mile an hour parking lots more than fast flowing traffic... backing out of spots in most parking lots here, at least the oncoming "traffic" is gonna see you and stop in most cases, those two parked cars that people who are bad at reverse are trying to squeeze in between backwards are completely helpless as far as avoiding getting hit.

Driving IS different here, in fact it's different in lots of places, I've found the driving in Houston different from driving in Oregon... had to learn a new skill set fast.

To Lopaka... my solution to avoid the jams in most slow moving parking lots here, is to just make a bee line to an aisle further out. I can walk from the far side of the lot faster than it'd take to park in, or get out of, the closest aisles to many big businesses here.

...To Lopaka... my solution to avoid the jams in most slow moving parking lots here, is to just make a bee line to an aisle further out. I can walk from the far side of the lot faster than it'd take to park in, or get out of, the closest aisles to many big businesses here.

This is very good advice to the OP. Not only is it faster; it is easier on the parking lot "rash"; and, best of all it helps the BP.

Hang Loose Bro and remember whereever you live there are challenges. The trick is to overcome them without getting wound too tight.

I always used to think the same way until I started driving a Dodge RAM 1500 longbed. It is much easier to manuever the truck into the parking space with the steering on the "rear" wheels. (Think of a forklift.)

Yeah, I see the long wheelbase aspect of it. The vast majority are not trucks though.

It can be painful watching the see-sawing back and forth as some of these people try to get in, where if they just headed in straight, would be done with it in seconds. I have seen some have a passenger get out and guide them! Of course, all the while cars back up waiting to get by..............

Ho brah, why bodda you? Lotta driver here lolo, mo bettah park head in, else no can leave fast. No stink eye, no talk stink, just tell'um, "try move dat ting."

I had a thought on this while reading - as one who backs in when there is no "rush" I much prefer it for the ease of pulling out later, should the congestion in the parking lot get worse. However if it's a busy lot, then I just pull in and back out later... no biggie either way for me.

But what might be a "root" cause is an old tradition in Hawaii that has been lost, especially over the past 15 years on the outer islands, and probably 25 years on Oahu ... the "talk story to your friend in the oncoming lane" tradition. This is definitely a tradition that mainlanders absolutely HATE, but was very prevalent on the islands till the increase in traffic. If you saw a buddy coming the other way (remember most folks used to drive 5-10mph under the speed limit around here all the time ... even Maui was that way when I first moved there) you would simply slow down and stop when both drivers windows lined up - talk story for a few minutes or until a couple of cars were waiting behind you, then off you went.

Life was MUCH slower paced, you intentionally took the time to enjoy your drives to and from work and if someone wanted to pull out, you'd stop and let them in ... now-a-days it holds up the traffic, but in days gone bye when there was not near the traffic issues it was just a way of showing a little aloha to other drivers.

Times have changed, but faster than habits, and I wonder if the backing in is a carryover from those days as well.

Just my perspective.

Aloha, Tim

what point is there to miss i was born and raised in california and its common practice to back into a spot. and i continue this practice to this day. and sometimes its a bit harry and i might have to go back and forth about ten times.so when someone else does it to me i just sit and chill.if something that minor bugs you man i would suggest riding the bus.

Back
Top Bottom