Raped for repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just buy a simple $20 intermediate pressure gauge from almost any good dive source. Check your regs every few dives while on the boat and watch the readings and needle creep. It's really to easy. As your regs start to needle creep, it will give you plenty of more dives to decide if you want to service them or buy a new stage. Yes you can mix brands. An IP gauge will be the best money you have ever spent and provide you with a knowledge and comfort that your regs are safe to dive that day. It's exactly like checking your car tires. If one of your car tires reads 25psi, you'll say "well it's not flat, but I might want to have it serviced this week" That's how an IP gauge works. I wouldn't wait til the 1st stage seat blows when you pressurize it cause then you are either going to have a $30 quick rental charge or you just blew a ton of time, gas & boat fees to sit out the dives. Same thing, why wait to come outside in the morning to a flat tire?

Hi John,

Im interested to know more how to do read ip gauge. I have one that can be installed on quick release bcd hose. But just not sure how to tell if something not right.

As far as i remember last time the pressure keep increasing slowly until certain pressure. How long exactly i have to wait until its stable?

What is needle creep btw?

Thx,
Kebo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi John,

Im interested to know more how to do read ip gauge. I have one that can be installed on quick release bcd hose. But just not sure how to tell if something not right.

As far as i remember last time the pressure keep increasing slowly until certain pressure. How long exactly i have to wait until its stable?

What is needle creep btw?

Thx,
Kebo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different regulators have different ip's, but they should be around 140 PSI, and when pressurized, should not move. So if you pressurize the regulator and the IP is 120 or 155, it's got a weak spring or needs shims. If it goes rock solid on 138, no big deal. If it goes to 138 and slowly creeps up to 145 and then the second stage opens up to relieve pressure, or you take a breath on the second stage and ip returns to 138 and continues to rise slowly, you have a worn out main seat.

In any case, an ip gage will tell you if your first stage needs immediate service, service soon, or is working as designed.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom