Rapid Diver System !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James228

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are your thoughts of the Rapid Diver system? I may be purchasing one via P3M (Patriot 3 Maritime). They specialize in rescue and commercial diving. The set is great for the rescue diver including a 17cf or 27cf steel tank, BCD, low viz mask, inflator, first and second stage and cam straps for the back pad to acccommodate up to a 80cf on the back pad. I am going to test it out for use to implement with fire departments as a rescue diver(firefighter) is a quicker means than calling in a dive team(death is imminent due to response time). Let me know what you think and has anyone out there used this system yet?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to PSD

In Florida or the southern states go for it. Here in Idaho or way up north forget it.

I am the instructor of the Open water / practical portion of this, training, and we have completed 2 classes last year with great reults. I have put together a training syllabus for this portion for all of our firefighters to take part in. I have broken this down to a 4 member response with a second crew for victim extraction. In this case it is only for immediate response and not a search and recovery class. Even though it may be a recovery, it will be due to the patient expiring during or soon after submersion.

Over the years I have watched police and fire personnel jump into the water and hold their breath. I have been a police officer since 1991. Our perspective is to give the rescuers a breathing medium to keep the rescuers safe. They use SCBA so this is not much of a transition, even though we thought it may be. We were pleasantly surprised. It also allows the fire personnel to see who is comfortable in what role and to know what each role does having trained in it. Firefighters have been bring a breathing medium into hostile environments for a century now and Fire District #1 limits their personel to water 20' or less.

We do not require scuba certification, but it is suggested. This is not a dive course, but instead a rescue course with the rescuer bringing a breathing medium to a hostile environment. There is no concern for trim, bouyancy, etc. It is about keeping the rescuers safe so they can go home to their familiies and some day retire. As public safety personnel we see this stuff on a regular basis, but the victim, or citizen rescuer, only sees it once in a life time. We also know that, unless there are divers on hand such as events, it is more often a recovery than a rescue. The need to put rescuers in harms way is just stupid. Besides, as I said before..............these guys are going in regardless. It is what they do. These folk go into burning buildings, haz-mat siutations and I think it is a little bold to suggest they can't master this equipment for the specific use intended, without a scuba diver certification. They receive the proper pool work from Rick and then I take them to the practicals. There are about 40 guys trained with more coming.

The training also fits right in with the command control structure they are already using. There is a rigid push during class and training that this is just a means to breath while you do what you do everyday. Each person initials and signs that they understand this is only for immediate and quick rescue situation and violating this will be a direct violation of training standards. This has worked well and keeps the rescuer safe while allowing them to provide an immediate response. I have photo's of training sessions in my facebook pictures. Mark

http://rapiddiver.board-directory.com/f1-enter-here-to-access-all-of-the-rapid-diver-topics

I have been researching this system, and others similar to it for use in our dive area. Because of the time requirements to have a full dive team response, the actual "rescue" of a victim is most likely to be carried out by local fire agencies--with whom many of our divers are also members. The main restrictions I have been coming up with for this system, is its limitations for use in certain water areas.

The Rapid Diver System also has it's own manufacturer's forum here on SB where you can ask product related questions:

Rapid Diver - ScubaBoard

Back
Top Bottom