Rare whale shark cut into pieces in Malaysian Restaurant - pictures as well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A product of overpopulation (human. not whale sharks). We need a good swine flu pandemic.

If the human population were to truly benefit from 'culling', then it would make complete sense that the biggest gains would be made by reducing the populations who caused the biggest ecological damage and used, on a per person basis, the most resources.

I think those Malaysia fishermen would be safe from the 'chop'... but none of us would be.

Agreed. Over exploitation of marine resources was driven by the "developed" countries. The problem with shark finning is also the result of demand, again, in the developed countries. However, overpopulation is a world-wide problem that is not sustainable.

I can not believe that some people are eating Whale Sharks just because is part of their culture. As human kind we have already changed lot of our animal behavior, why to keep this insane traditions?

Their excuse to consume these beautiful animals is not acceptable.

ya who cares about cows, baby cows, chickens, pigs, lamb, fish, crustaceans etc. etc...since so many americans really need to put on some weight

ya who cares about cows, baby cows, chickens, pigs, lamb, fish, crustaceans etc. etc...since so many americans really need to put on some weight

I'm a proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals), but I only hunt non-native, invasive species now.

However, I cooking this for dinner tonight:

roosevelt-elk.jpg
images

I'm a proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals), but I only hunt non-native, invasive species now.

However, I cooking this for dinner tonight:

roosevelt-elk.jpg
images
Homo erectus is omnivorus I get it. I eat life. Flora dies for me. I want to live. So I kill and eat it. It's agribusiness I have an issue with. Systematic torture of life for the sake of the bottom line. It's just not something I can personally live with. I don't do it for "the children" or for anything else for that matter. I am NOT a breeder and AM, an atheist. I just prefer to do less harm. Killing a few animals who have had a real life and using all it has to offer I am totally OK with. Cycle of life and death. COOL. But, since I am unable to kill, skin, and otherwise "clean" an animal's body for consumption, I feel that I have NO right consuming it. Buying selective animal parts (steaks, chicken breasts, crab legs, lobster limbs - and I am Japanese and seafood is tasty as *****) I personally cannot justify for myself. Furthermore, I'd love for my body (if it was legal to dump my body into the ocean to become fish food) since that not an option I want my ashes to to become part of some concrete for forming a reef. I apologize if I sent a judgemental vibe. I don't want to do that. I have my reasons for living my life the way I do and only hope that others are doing so in a conscious and informed manner. Live and let live. That's all. Did not mean to thread jack. Sometime I just get worked up. Peace y'all! :peace2:

For those of us in the States, I'm sure a lot of people in India would consider our slaughter of cows to be simply barbaric.

so does anyone know if the folks eating this critter knew it was "special"? Or are we just making random guesses about other cultures, again?

so does anyone know if the folks eating this critter knew it was "special"? Or are we just making random guesses about other cultures, again?

Just an arrogant American assumption that all people of the world should think the same as us.

Amazing...whether its whaling, slaughter of dolphins, animals in captivity, Global Warming (climate change now), fishing, shark finning, enviromentalism, political activism...these threads all seem to go the same way with their responses.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom