Rarotonga & Aitutaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering Cook Islands for a dive trip. Looking for recommendations on Rarotonga or Aitutaki or doing both in one trip.

Anyone been to either islands and have suggestions on dive ops and accommodations?

Thanks!

We dived both Rarotonga and Aitutaki in 2010. I'm told that neither is a dive destination as such but we had some very good dives and being honest they were a lot better than the dives we did in Fiji earlier that year. During our stay we did 10 dives in Rarotonga and just two in Aitutaki, mainly because the price in Aitutaki is a lot more expensive.

I can't remember the names of all the dive sites, but I do remember our favorite ones on Rarotonga were Mushrooms Forest and Papu passage. The Mushrooms site was on the northern side of the island and had the best coral we experienced during our stay lots of fish and a couple of turtles. The Papu passage site was later in the week and on the south side. This dive we saw a school of up to a dozen rays and 3 sharks, but the coral was not so good. This was the second passage we did that day, the first one being memorable for the strong current. None of the dive sites were far on the boat, 15-20mins and we returned to shore between dives. The thing I do remember is that all the dives had amazing visibility with 40m some of the dives.

In Aitutaki the visibility and coral wasn't as good but we saw 4 or 5 turtles so that was cool.

We dived with Dive Rarotonga on Rarotonga and were very well looked after. They had new gear with dive computers and two instructors on each of our boat trips. For Aitutaki we dived with Aitutaki Scuba, not as professionally organised as the shop in Rarotonga but ok to dive with.

Have a fun trip!

We dove Rarotonga as part of our Paul Gauguin cruise. We dove with Ian of Cook Island Divers. It was a pretty minimal setup with a small, open boat and I'm not even sure there was any O2 on it. The reef was much like everything we saw in French Polynesia -- hard coral, a lot of it dead, and a scattering of reef fish. It was a pleasant dive because the water was warm and clear and Ian took us through some swim-throughs, but I certainly wouldn't go all the way to that area for the diving alone. On the other hand, we really enjoyed the land time we had on Rarotonga. The people were extremely nice, and there were some lovely things in the shops.

Yes, I wouldnt go all the way to the Cook islands for the diving alone - the people are friendly and the islands are very beautiful. The diving is mainly hard coral, bit algae covered off Rarotonga in places, usual suspects re reef fish... What was nice was hearing humpback whales singing in the background on several dives, their songs carry for miles so you dont necessarily see them but you certainly hear them.

diving scorpio- Ive been to Raro 3 times in the last 12 months and done a fair few dives. No matter which dive op you use you will be on a small -20 foot either RIB or sometimes solid hull boat.
Without hesitation I recomend Cook Island Divers.The simple fact is that they operate when others don't due to "rough
weather" their gear is as good as any on the island.
I unfortunately agree with the posters above BUT if you want to have a safe taste of cave diving then the shallow cave system at the end of the airport runway is a good half an hour of exploring whilst at 8-12m
I must also add that a lagoon dive even though at shallow depths (15 feet) is great fun and the viz is amazing.
A SAFE option accomodation wise is the EDGEWATER resort BUT make sure you have a Villa or a beachfront room.The garden rooms are a bit rundown. we pay about $4000nz for a 3 bedroom villa for 10 nights
Food wise well Go to Alberto's which is a 5 minute stroll back towards "town"

Um I must say in all honesty there are better -MUCH better dive destinations in the pacific that are just as good for the other side ofg the holiday

Hey "divingscorpio",

Did you decide to go the Cook Islands? Have you already been? If so, can you advise on the diving conditions?

My wife and I are currently planning a dive trip to Rarotonga and Aitutaki for this coming July 2012. We are temporarily moving to Auckland, NZ from Canada and it turns out that on Sundays AirNZ stops in Rarotonga. And since AirNZ doesn't charge for any length stopover, we're planning to stay for one week in Rarotonga and another week in Aitutaki before continuing on to Auckland - at no extra cost, except the typical $50NZ departure tax.

We're currently planning to do at least 10 dives on each of Rarotonga and Aittutaki. Before we planned our trip, we were also wondering, like yourself, what the dive conditions were like in the Cooks. From our research, both here on SB and other sources located via Google searching, it sounds like the diving is relatively poor as compared to most other destinations in the Pacific Islands. You've probably already read this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-islands/287192-cook-islands-info-please.html So it sounds like the reef is in recovery. I've also read that Cyclone Pat hit Aitutaki back in February 2010 and caused a good bit of reef damage. Overall it sounds like the diving will not be fabulous as compared to other Pacific Tropics or even Bonaire, however, to me, it still sounds amazing relative Florida or Jamaica. (My wife and I have dove in Florida, Panama, GBR (from Port Douglas), Cuba, Turkey, Cozumel, Roatan, Utila, Jamaica, Bonaire, Curacao, and Halifax.)

If you, or anyone else reading this, have been to the Cook Islands lately, I would love to hear how about the current scuba diving conditions.

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi chelmick, July is a good time to visit the Cook Islands. We were there a month later in August and Rarotonga was surrounded by hump back whales, we were told whales visit from July to October so hopefully you'll be as lucky as we were.

From the dives we did on Rarotonga the sites North of the island had the best live coral. The mushrooms site we did was probably 70% live coral, not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but still good. It was a different story about the coral in Aitutaki, this was not as good. There was obvious damage by the hurricane that hit Aitutaki earlier in the year.

Hi newfins,

Thank you very much for posting a reply. I have read about the humpback whales around Rarotonga, and I do hope to see (or at least hear while underneath) them in mid-July when we visit.

Thanks also for the update on coral conditions in Rarotonga and Aitutaki. We've been planning to do ~10 dives on each island, but perhaps we'll wait and see how the conditions are in-person to avoid the stiff cancellation penalties.

Cheers,
Carl

that's a bit of a pity... webjet are offering discounted flights there at the moment, i was hoping for a cheap(ish) diving trip.

Since I had posted here earlier looking for recommendations and advice, I thought I should follow-up with my own trip report for others who might follow. I'm not sure if this is the best location for a trip report, but I'm sure the forum moderator can move it if necessary. :wink:

My wife and I recently spent a week on each of Rarotonga from July 8-15, and Aitutaki on July 15-22 2012, doing four dives on each atoll. We decided to stop in the Cook Islands as a free stop-over with Air New Zealand while moving temporarily (10-12 months) to New Zealand from Canada. We are both advanced open water divers with 120+ dives from 10+ countries, mostly around the Caribbean.

On Rarotonga we dove with Pacific Divers in their aluminum boat with 3-5 other divers of various levels going out from Avarua Harbour on the North Side. There were a number of dive operators, we picked the ones closest to where we were staying in Muri Beach at Aito Apartments (which we loved). My impression was that there were very few fish, and very little healthy coral. There were a few small schools of smaller fish, and a lot of flat yellowish "mushroom" coral. We did see white-tip reef sharks on 3 out of 4 dives, two turtles, a couple of small eels, and a napolean wrasse. The visibility was fairly good at 40-90 ft. The topography varied between flat ridges and shallow ravines leading down with plateaus with edges that dropped off to thousands of feet. There At 23C/73F with an air temp between 16-20C we found the water to be a bit chilly for our 2/3mm full suits. My wife and I each purchased a 1mm rash shirt to help compensate. The staff at Pacific Divers were competent and engaging; they lead dives very well, always left one person on boat with oxygen. Because we found the diving expensive and only so-so, we opted to do other island activities; hike the cross-island track, kayak around Muri lagoon, snorkel in the marine reserver near the Fruits of Rarotonga, and walk-tour around Avarua and Muri Beach. Make sure you try the island beer from Matutu Brewery and the pizza from Trader Jacks.

On Aitutaki we dove with Aitutaki Scuba, going out in a small boat with a local dive master and boat driver. There was another diver operator "Bubbles Below", but we had a recommendation from someone on Rarotonga to dive with Aitutaki as they only take experienced divers out. (Yes, my wife and I can be newbie snobs sometimes, we love all divers but prefer to go out with more experienced divers when we get the chance.) Underwater was very similar to Rarotonga, a general lacking of fish and healthy coral. However, there were large napolean wrasse everywhere! I think we saw at least 2 different giants on each of the four dives. We also saw white-tip reef sharks, some large green turtles, a school of 3-4 eagle rays, a couple of fast-moving 2 ft. yellow-fin tuna, several large barracuda as well as as large school of juvenile barracudas, a stonefish or two, and a couple of small green moray eels. The topography was stunning, with big steep ravines and walls, the occasional sand-filled plateau, and everything was covered in mushroom coral. The visibility was amazing on most dives, I'm sure we had well over a 100 ft most times, minus the occasional sand storm draining off the lagoon. Being ~2 degrees closer to the equator, the weather was a bit warmer at ~26C/79F. On two of the dives we clearly heard whales calling; later that day we talked with some folks who said they watched a pod of humpback whales breaching and blowing a little further around the island from where we would have been diving at approximately the same time. Very cool! (I had heard of divers seeing them up close from both Rarotonga and Aitutaki between July and September each year, there was even a video from someone's dive trip showing the whales up close, it's somewhere online that I can't find anymore.) The dive operation and staff was very professional, courteous, and engaging. Our boat captain and divemaster "Dawn" brought fresh tuna sandwiches and cracked coconuts for us between dives. Anyway, my wife and I still found the diving expensive (very remote islands) and only "so-so" as compared to our other dive experiences so we opted to do other island activities such as snorkel, lagoon tours, kayak, rent motor-scooters, watch local rugby, and drink beer. The lagoon tours are a must - make sure you snorkel at least once out in the lagoon near the clam farm. There is also good snorkelling on the west side near Etu Moana Resort, or around the private motu Akitua at the east end of the airport runway. Be sure to visit one-foot island. For a good beer visit the Boat Shed, good coffee and prepared lunches can be found at Koru's Cafe.

My wife and I really liked Rarotonga and Aititaki. It's very safe, we've travelled to Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico... The people are extremely kind, friendly, and laid-back. The main language is English. The islands are visually stunning, while each are different and interesting in their own ways. I'm very glad I got to see and experience some of the Cook Islands. All that said, I probably won't ever go back. I like to dive too much and I would rather pay the extra money to go somewhere new with better diving; perhaps Fiji, Tahiti, Palua, Samoa, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc.

If anyone wants more specific advice on Rarotonga or Aitutaki, post a response here and I'll try to help.

IMG_1496.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom