Rate This Series of Dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James... a couple of points if you'll forgive me butting in:

agressive.

Dive one looks aggressive deco wise for the run time and gas choices...

Certainly aggressive, but deco schedule is not outside "normal" parameters for v-planner with moderate conservatism. I got the same run-time as the OP when I plugged it into the version of V-Planner on my iPad. Second decompression gas: with the right bottom mix, unnecessary. However, agree totally with the addition of a little helium to help "optimize" WOB and to potentially reshape ascent schedule.

I'd also want a lower O2 content on dives two and three because the lungs are already going to take a beaten from the first dive.

It is not the diver's lungs one would need to be concerned with. They will be fine unless he/she suffers from a mild asthma-like reaction to dry air. The issue is the diver's central nervous system. The CNS loading for the three dives exceeds NOAA limits for 24 hours. The issue surely is toxing and drowning... NOT reduced vital capacity and a dry throat.

I don't have v-planner at the moment, so I can't plug numbers into it. I was basing my answer off the experience with similarish profiles. While a second deco gas isn't needed, it's been my experience that I get out of the water with a little more spring in my step compared to a single deco gas on the same profile. For my liking, the profile would run about 35ish minutes of deco.

I don't have v-planner at the moment, so I can't plug numbers into it. I was basing my answer off the experience with similarish profiles. While a second deco gas isn't needed, it's been my experience that I get out of the water with a little more spring in my step compared to a single deco gas on the same profile. For my liking, the profile would run about 35ish minutes of deco.

As they say in the real world, mate: Only YOU can do YOUR deco... and nobody is gonna dis you for being nice and conservative. Be safe and dive often!

But DO watch those 24-hour CNS limits. :wink:

Aggressive. I wouldn't dive to 185 with only 1 gas, it certainly wouldn't be 70%, and it sure as hell wouldn't be on air. Dives 2 and 3 wouldn't happen because dive 1 wouldn't have left the drawing board.

Agree with PfcAJ. Also the SI of 60min even if other gases was used is very short.

Aggressive. I wouldn't dive to 185 with only 1 gas, it certainly wouldn't be 70%, and it sure as hell wouldn't be on air. Dives 2 and 3 wouldn't happen because dive 1 wouldn't have left the drawing board.

Damn, you guys know how I hate to agree with PfcAJ, but he is right.

Let's say I could get on board with 185' on Air. I MIGHT do it if everything else was perfect and no helium was available. Maybe...
But I wouldn't use 70%. I'd probably use 50% and 100%.

My surface intervals would be longer and I'd probably go leaner on the two repetitive dives for purposes of keeping Oxygen Clock lower. But, I don't know if you are diving in cold or current.

Not really enough info, but with the info you gave, I wouldn't make these dives. And yes, they are aggressive.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2013 at 10:34 AM ----------

Aggressive, since the 3rd dive is pushing the CNS over 100%...not something I want to mess with. 185 on air is within the MOD, and we all regularly push other mixes to near the MOD, yet for some reason going there with air is "crazy." Are there better gasses, sure, but you need to take another class to get the really wacky gas, which would make this a moderate to conservative dive.

Mike

Me thinks you don't understand MOD and END.

Yes, we'll push the MOD on 32% because the END isn't 185. If we push the MOD on AIR at 185' guess what, now we're seriously narced, or could be. What's the END on 32% at 130'? What's the END on air at 185'?

MOD is about toxing. END is about how stupid you get at depth. That's why you shouldn't push it.

Just to pile on... I have to agree that 185' on air just isn't a good idea. Trimix is sufficiently well understood these days that I wouldn't opt to undertake these dives as planned. Aggressive.

Aggressive, high O2 loads, high N2 loads and non-existant surface intervals. That's not even considering END.

Who gets 35 and 36% mixes? (EANx is rarely mixed that precisely)
Who does a 60min SI after a deco dive and a 45min SI between the 2nd and 3rd dives of a day?

If you don't tox (and you probably won't...) those repetitive N2 loads with silly short SIs are going to bend you. Just because some software says you "can" do something doesn't mean it will actually work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom