Ratio ix3m Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the DEMA New Products page:

DEMA Show 2016: New Product Showcase at DEMA Show 2016

It has Ratio Computers listed with an "air tank transmitter".

So, I reckon they're announcing AI. But, we don't know yet which computers it will work with or if they will have a new model (or two) that work with the AI. And we have no idea about pricing.

But, I'm not sure what you're looking at to conclude that the Perdix and iX3M are similarly priced. Technically, the iX3M model that is directly comparable is the iX3M Reb, which is WAY more expensive than the Perdix (comparing non-AI to non-AI). But, if you're not interested in a computer to use with a rebreather, the Perdix would compare to the iX3M Tech. And even that model is way more expensive than the Perdix (non-AI to non-AI). DRiS has the iX3M Tech at $1150. The iX3M Deep is $1039, and it's way less capable than a Perdix. I wouldn't even consider buying the Deep model when you can get a Perdix for $850.

The only way an iX3M (Tech) is going to stay on my list of possibilities is if it turns out to also work with PPS transmitters. With the news that the same transmitter works with Shearwater, Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris, Sherwood, and AquaLung, that has become the "commodity" transmitter I was hoping for and is the only one I would buy. Well, unless the alternative was WAY cheaper.

If I had to buy a transmitter that is proprietary to Ratio in order to use AI with an iX3M, there is no way I'd spend the money for that plus the extra cost of the Ratio itself, compared to a Perdix AI.

This is the DEMA New Products page:

DEMA Show 2016: New Product Showcase at DEMA Show 2016

It has Ratio Computers listed with an "air tank transmitter".

So, I reckon they're announcing AI. But, we don't know yet which computers it will work with or if they will have a new model (or two) that work with the AI. And we have no idea about pricing.

But, I'm not sure what you're looking at to conclude that the Perdix and iX3M are similarly priced. Technically, the iX3M model that is directly comparable is the iX3M Reb, which is WAY more expensive than the Perdix (comparing non-AI to non-AI). But, if you're not interested in a computer to use with a rebreather, the Perdix would compare to the iX3M Tech. And even that model is way more expensive than the Perdix (non-AI to non-AI). DRiS has the iX3M Tech at $1150. The iX3M Deep is $1039, and it's way less capable than a Perdix. I wouldn't even consider buying the Deep model when you can get a Perdix for $850.

The only way an iX3M (Tech) is going to stay on my list of possibilities is if it turns out to also work with PPS transmitters. With the news that the same transmitter works with Shearwater, Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris, Sherwood, and AquaLung, that has become the "commodity" transmitter I was hoping for and is the only one I would buy. Well, unless the alternative was WAY cheaper.

If I had to buy a transmitter that is proprietary to Ratio in order to use AI with an iX3M, there is no way I'd spend the money for that plus the extra cost of the Ratio itself, compared to a Perdix AI.
You're right, there's definitely a huge value in having a compatible transmitter. Also, as more are made it should help drive down the exceptionally high prices being asked for transmitters today.

"Regular" price is $350 - 400, depending on where you look. But, I don't think it's too hard to get a new one from someplace like LeisurePro for $275 or so.

I'm not sure how much cheaper we should expect them to get. PPS is already making a LOT of them for the recreational market. The increase in demand based on use with a Perdix is probably going to barely register in PPS's pipeline. Especially after the first two months of Perdix AI availability when most of the people like us have bought theirs.

It might be different if the Perdixes and Petrels that are already out could be easily upgraded to work with the AI transmitter. Maybe a lot of current owners would spring for a transmitter. But, even then I doubt the sales spike would be huge, from PPS' perspective. And it would still die down after a couple of months anyway, and their sales rate will probably be right back very close to what it already is.

"Regular" price is $350 - 400, depending on where you look. But, I don't think it's too hard to get a new one from someplace like LeisurePro for $275 or so.

I'm not sure how much cheaper we should expect them to get. PPS is already making a LOT of them for the recreational market. The increase in demand based on use with a Perdix is probably going to barely register in PPS's pipeline. Especially after the first two months of Perdix AI availability when most of the people like us have bought theirs.

It might be different if the Perdixes and Petrels that are already out could be easily upgraded to work with the AI transmitter. Maybe a lot of current owners would spring for a transmitter. But, even then I doubt the sales spike would be huge, from PPS' perspective. And it would still die down after a couple of months anyway, and their sales rate will probably be right back very close to what it already is.
I don't believe my scubapro transmitter, so when I upgrade to a new computer I'm going to have to buy a new transmitter. Actually, my wife now uses the scubapro so I would need a new transmitter either way.

I don't believe my scubapro transmitter, so when I upgrade to a new computer I'm going to have to buy a new transmitter. Actually, my wife now uses the scubapro so I would need a new transmitter either way.

I'm happy with SW went with PPS transmitters, since I already have one. But, if I had to buy a new transmitter, at this point, I think I would only consider a PPS one. The compatibility among so many AI computers makes them easy to find and easy to sell. That's why, if Ratio has their own, I will no longer even consider a Ratio computer.

If ScubaPro releases an H3 with AI and they have a sweetheart deal for existing H3 owners to upgrade, that is the only way I'll even be considering a non-PPS transmitter. It would be silly not to replace my unsupported SeaBear H3 with a new ScubaPro H3 if the cost is reasonable. At that point, it would be very tempting to get a transmitter for it, if the price on those is reasonable. Just have to wait and see. I'm skeptical that SP will actually make me an offer I can't refuse, though, so a PAI is very likely to be in my dive bag sometime soon after Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom