rb cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO they won't.

What do you mean, falling more?
When did they fall in recent years?

I think they will stay high for some time to come. Sort of like desktop computers of 10 years go; the price always stayed the same, you got more/better stuff for your money but the prices never really came down.

I figure the prices will drop six months after I get one..... Sorry, no plans for one in the immediate future.

The market is to specialized for prices to come down.
I have heard more than one dive shop owner saying "rebreathers are the way of the future" but I've never believed it. Mainly because they are and always will be to expensive and complex for the average diver.

Two things could cause prices to fall in the not too distant future, competition and broader adoption, which of course is a classic chicken-and-egg paradox.

Still, I did see that there were a whole bunch more RBs at last years Beneath the Sea expo than there were the year before. While RBs as a system are complex, the components are commoditized so I wouldn't expect a high barrier to entry for eith established or start-up gear suppiers.

On the demand side - to aging divers like myself the weight difference between an RB and a set of doubles looks better every year. The weight issue also makes them a great fit for the growing number of female tech divers. I know of one diveshop, right in RJPs back yard, that's doing a boat load of rebreather training.

Will prices fall tomorrow? Nah, but there is room for cautious optimism.

TomP:
I know of one diveshop, right in RJPs back yard, that's doing a boat load of rebreather training.

Yeah, I'm in there all the time too!

They are always trying to get me to try CCR, but I resist because I'm afraid I will LIKE IT!

:)

New to this thread, just stumbled over it. In my opinion, still too much change going on, First we could only get semi-closed, now fully closed. I agree with most in that it is still the luxury of the sport. When you look at the price difference between doubles and a rebreather, you need to really use it to make it "worth" while.

bdorough:
New to this thread, just stumbled over it. In my opinion, still too much change going on, First we could only get semi-closed, now fully closed. I agree with most in that it is still the luxury of the sport. When you look at the price difference between doubles and a rebreather, you need to really use it to make it "worth" while.

I think it cost me $30 for trimix and $20 for scrubber and $10 for oxygen for a whole weekend of trimix diving, last time I went. On my doubles it would probably be close to 6 times that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom