RB Fatality in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is a cut & paste from Rebreather World. I do not know the guy, will try to get more detail. He leaves behind his wife and 3 kids. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. Badgat is a deep sinkhole in South Africa run by Don Shirley.

RB World Forum Qouted
"Rob died on 27 December 2010 doing a dive at Badgat at the age of 43.

His memorial service was yesterday. His untimely death came as a shock to all of us. I dived with him the beginning of December at Badgat, when we did two dives, exploring the ends of level 7 (68m). We were planning some 108m and some wreck diving in January and February.

To say the least: Rob was a good guy, intelligent, unpretentious and had a real passion for diving, he was a full trimix rebreather and cave diver and also was a Padi, IANTD and TDI instructor.

He will be sorely missed.

Condolences again to Sandra and his 3 children."

More detailed information on this is very slow and people are reluctant to share. All I can add is that the divers was indeed on an Inspiration.

I don't know rebreathers very well and maybe someone can shed some light on this. It sounds like the diver started his descend with a hypoxic loop, PPO well below .016. They proceeded to 6m where deco stages where clipped off. At this point in time the diving group noticed that the diver was not with them. He was later found on the bottom. I would assume he become unconscious…….. the rest is already know and very sad.

O2 turned off, electronic failure, user error, solenoid problems, not sure how this happens. Can the rebreather guys help me out here.

Sad to hear about this. Badgat now known as Komati Springs is a serious dive location where mainly advanced ,technical and cave diving training is done.
This is also the dive site where David Shaw did a lot of his cave diving training with Don Shirley - the owner of Komati Springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom