ReAct Pro bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm considering purchasing this computer but need some clarification...

The software bugs and glitches we're talking about here - is it within the computer itself, or is it the software/interface that is on your home computer for download that's causing the issues?

Thanks!

I believe the problem is with the software/interface. I have a reactpro that I have had for 3 years. NEver had a problem other than routine battery changes. Mine works flawlessly. It now serves as my backup computer, becuase I needed a multigas deco computer.

I'm considering purchasing this computer but need some clarification...

The software bugs and glitches we're talking about here - is it within the computer itself, or is it the software/interface that is on your home computer for download that's causing the issues?

Thanks!

I **THINK** it's has to do with the downloading of the dives to your personal computer. (software or interface).

I've had a React Pro for about 3-4 years and the thing is iron-clad. Never had a problem. (But then again I heard their download software sucked and thought it was overpriced ($150 if I remember right) to download my dives. problem solved with a pencil by writing them down myself).

I purchased the React Pro and used it for the first time today.

On the dive itself - easy as pie. Really good computer. Easy readout. Just wish there would be more information on one screen rather than have to scroll through screens to get all the dive data. That's a personal thing though and not a problem with the computer.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, here's the problem I've run into.

Apparently to retrieve the multi-level profile, you MUST buy the download kit and send it to your computer. Is this correct?

When I go into log mode the only information I get is my max depth and bottom time. That doesn't help me much for logging what I actually did in multilevel.

Now, that said, I always note my multilevel plan on my dive slate, and I stick fairly close to it. Within a minute or so either way. So I just logged what I wrote down on the slate in my log book.

I would've though I could scroll through the computer to see the multi-level dive data. That would've been an excellent feature and (unless I'm doing something wrong) I'm very disappointed that in order to take advantage of such a simple feature, I now have to decide whether to spend $150 for a $4 USB cable.

Comments? Would appreciate input if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.
nmdiveboy

I purchased the React Pro and used it for the first time today.

On the dive itself - easy as pie. Really good computer. Easy readout. Just wish there would be more information on one screen rather than have to scroll through screens to get all the dive data. That's a personal thing though and not a problem with the computer.

That is my main complaint about the ReactPro. That you have to press buttons on the screen to scroll through other screens to find out info that should and easily could be on the main screen. My backup computer has everthing on the main screen and it's a 'hockey puck' also.

Although I don't think the React Pro is a bad computer and I've been happy with mine, if I had to buy it again today I would choose a different one for this one reason.

I now have to decide whether to spend $150 for a $4 USB cable.

that's pretty much it. It's overpriced. Of course I'm sure it includes the software also, but it's an expensive option to add on a computer just to be able to electronically transfer your dive info.

Unfortunately, it seems the other manufacturers charge similar amounts for their download kits.

Thanks guys, was researching DC's and thinking @ React Pro. Found this thread. Will find another DC. Thanks again.

note I've never had a problem with MY React pro.... so they are a decent computer.

That said, technology changes every year and this computer is several years old on the technology scale. You can buy a better computer than this one now with more options.... so if I had to buy it again TODAY, then I would buy a different one now. But at the time I got this one, it was a great computer.

I understand, no product satisfies everyone; no matter what item or company I've researched there is always some one unhappy. That being said there was a lot in this post that steered me away form the company itself. The comments in this thread are not the only negatives that I came across in my search.

Then, not being able to change the batteries myself is a big deal breaker anyway, as I am jeweler and changing batteries is not something one should have to return products to the manufacturer to do. Changing a battery in a waterproof machine is not rocket science, and even a $10,000 plus Rolex can be serviced and tested in any small shop.

It very well could be VERY good DC, but when you buy a product you are also buying into the company for service and support, and this does not impress me as a company I wish to become tied to. My opinion only, I'm not telling anyone else where to spend or not spend their money.

I agree with you that about some of your comments about this post and other posts and problems people have had.... I was just saying mine has never had a problem.

but I agree also that I would suggest other computers over this one again, but most of that is just because technology has brought out newer and better models.

Then, not being able to change the batteries myself is a big deal breaker anyway, as I am jeweler and changing batteries is not something one should have to return products to the manufacturer to do.

uhhhmmmm.....The React Pro has user changeable batteries.....

I think it's the CR-2450. You can buy a pack of them at Walmart for under $5 bucks. The computer comes with a little wrench/tool to open the battery compartment. (it's just a die cut stamped out tool, but fits the holes and you just unscrew the battery compartment). I think it might have a slot on the back also that you can get a quarter or butter knife into.... (but I'd have to go look to verify. I might be confusing that with my other hockey puck computer which has that).

I think you can buy a "battery replacement kit" for it also, but that is only a battery and I think either a replacement o-ring and/or some o-ring lubricant.

I changed mine without the "kit" and it works fine.

Changing a battery in a waterproof machine is not rocket science, and even a $10,000 plus Rolex can be serviced and tested in any small shop.

wow.... Rolex's have batteries now? :D (just kidding...)

I too have a React-pro and have never had a problem with the computer itself yet. The problems the origional poster is having seems to be with just the PC software, which I never bothered buying.
The computer itself works fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom