Reader's Digest re Lost Diver at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received today February's Reader's Digest. I was shocked to see the story of Dan Carlock who was left behind at the oil rigs back in April of 2004, especially hearing that he is suing for 4 million dollars.

I thought the article was very abrupt and one sided. I wonder if this article will hurt his case any? In fairness, I wonder if the Reader's Digest even attempted to contact Ocean Adventures or the Sun Diver???

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during the upcoming case.

No need to be a fly on the wall. The effects of this case could reverberate all through our hobby, and I'm sure a lot of us will be keeping our eyes on this one.

I'm wondering what new laws and restrictions we are going to face in our hobby for this lawsuit.

I was somewhat sympathetic to him until I read about his miraculous 4 hour skin cancer.

Diver_Jan:
Hi everyone,

I received today February's Reader's Digest. I was shocked to see the story of Dan Carlock who was left behind at the oil rigs back in April of 2004, especially hearing that he is suing for 4 million dollars.

I thought the article was very abrupt and one sided. I wonder if this article will hurt his case any? In fairness, I wonder if the Reader's Digest even attempted to contact Ocean Adventures or the Sun Diver???

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during the upcoming case.

Whether RD tried to contact Ray or Steve or not, both of them are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. As they say, anything they say can and will be used against them :) Best answer is "no comment"

Sucks because that means only Grifting Dan gets to bleat his side of the story.

Chris

ChrisM:
Whether RD tried to contact Ray or Steve or not, both of them are smart enough to keep their mouths shut. As they say, anything they say can and will be used against them :) Best answer is "no comment"

Sucks because that means only Grifting Dan gets to bleat his side of the story.

Chris

I'm in agreement with you Chris. As a DM, I would love to attend the hearings. I know that if that was me floating, I would have set my compass and kicked like hell to get back to the rig, or to shore. Ultimately, I think all divers are responsible for themselves. I have dove the rigs many times, and have always been told 'If you have to surface for ANY reason, surface in the MIDDLE of the Rig' Also, when ascending, I have always used a pylon for navigation to make sure I wasn't on the 'outside' of the rig.

Personally (and based on what little I know about the case) I think the boat needed a better method for checking divers in and out. This is not to say they are entirely at fault, but a roll call apparently didn't work in this case. I prefer a system that involves a personal sign in upon return.

Of course hearing about the "miracle" 4 hour skin cancer has to make onew onder about the diver... or at least the lawyers he has chosen.

When I look at situations like this, and think of some of the "certified" divers I see at our dive park, the industry is fooling itself if it thinks they are all ready for real diving. Heck, some of them in the park can hardly negotiate the stairs we have set up, and I've done more than a few "rescues" of divers who shouldn't be in a wetsuit at all. Who certified them in the first place?

Dr. Bill

Good points there Bill. Recently I was a DM on the Great Escape, not only did I check the divers off entering and exiting the water, but afterwards, before the boat moves, I do a visual roll call on each and every diver (including crew). If they are sleeping, they get woken up. We check, double check, and tripple check. That's how it's always been with the dive outfit I have dove with for almost the past 3 years before I even became a DM.

Diver_Jan:
Good points there Bill. Recently I was a DM on the Great Escape, not only did I check the divers off entering and exiting the water, but afterwards, before the boat moves, I do a visual roll call on each and every diver (including crew). If they are sleeping, they get woken up. We check, double check, and tripple check. That's how it's always been with the dive outfit I have dove with for almost the past 3 years before I even became a DM.

Excellent to hear Jan!

I'm presently studying for my DM cert and see so many areas where things should have been done differently from the individual diver right up the line and straight to the boat. I also agree with Dr. Bill. I have seen some divers that should still be using water wings and floating on the surface. Ultimately, it comes down to self preparedness...which I read none of in this drifters case. Whistle? Sausage? swim? Stop. Think. Breath. Act????

And cancer after 4 hours???? Hmmmm. I wonder about diver credibility after a comment like that?

Come on people! Before we start pointing fingers we need to take a look in that mirror and ask ourselves...did we do all we could to protect ourselves??

Happy SAFE diving everyone!

Personally I think diving with thick fog is probably not the best thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom