Reading materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It happens that I have been reviewing the GUE Cave 1 class materials as they exist in 2014. In addition to Jarrod's book on cave diving, which is a treatise on cave and technical diving, and not a manual, and some materials on gas management and decompression, the materials include 79 pages of supplemental readings. Among them are Erik Baker's "Understanding M Values", a paper by Neal Pollock on deep stops, a paper on VPM, a paper by Pollock on thermal stress, several articles on cardiovascular conditions for divers, and an article on physiologic changes in smokers. I have the cave manuals from NACD and NSS-CDS, from TDI and from NAUI, but I wonder if any other agency includes or requires so much reading of theory for their cave or technical students?

i've taken a few iantd classes and dont remember any required reading beyond some of the sheck exley stuff. i think i was asked to read these by the instructor and not iantd

I remember reading the Blueprint by Exley and Cave Diving Communications by Prosser for my NAUI c1 class.

I was just struck by the amount of theory and the amount of source material provided. I had read almost all of the articles at some time, but for a new student, it's a big project to go carefully through all of it. It's great education, though. I don't know of any other agency that requires that degree of academic diligence from their technical students.

The IANTD manual was just awful. Luckily, we didn't use it.

It happens that I have been reviewing the GUE Cave 1 class materials as they exist in 2014. In addition to Jarrod's book on cave diving, which is a treatise on cave and technical diving, and not a manual, and some materials on gas management and decompression, the materials include 79 pages of supplemental readings. Among them are Erik Baker's "Understanding M Values", a paper by Neal Pollock on deep stops, a paper on VPM, a paper by Pollock on thermal stress, several articles on cardiovascular conditions for divers, and an article on physiologic changes in smokers. I have the cave manuals from NACD and NSS-CDS, from TDI and from NAUI, but I wonder if any other agency includes or requires so much reading of theory for their cave or technical students?

That packet of supplemental readings are the same for all the gue tech and cave classes. Its been that way for awhile actually.

I got my original C1 packet in 2008. We did not have all these materials then.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom