Ready to take the plunge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemastr:
OK so let's hear about the rest of it.. Don't stop now. How was that first breath UNDERWATER? COOL wans't it?

The very first time I tried scuba was through a resort's introductory to diving class in Hawaii about 6 years ago. By far, the memory that stands out the clearest was that first breath! It was so hard to get those first couple of breaths down. I went under and held my breath for a bit with the reg in my mouth trying to convince myselft to take that first inhale. Finally I sucked in the shortest breath in history, then seeing I didn't die, I sucked in a bit more. Probably sounded like an old beater car trying to start. Hic-hic-hic-hic, exhale (ahhhhh), hic-hic-hic-hic, exhale (ahhhhh). :) Probably took a dozen or so breaths before I could bring myself to take in a full inhale all at once.

I don't know why I waited 6 years to finally get around to getting certified, but boy am I glad I did. Went on my first 2 dives this weekend outside of class and it was great. It's cool to realize I'm a "real" scuba diver now.

Good luck m7scuba with the rest of your class!

M7Scuba - hubby and I are also in the process of becoming certified! First class for us was on 1/5 - second one is 1/12 and its a five week course. Sounds like you covered an awful lot of stuff for your first pool class. How many weeks is yours and how many hours at a time? My class has 1 hour bookwork, 1 hour pooltime. As for the first breath under no problem - my problem it turned out was not exhaling enough. I was concentrating on inhaling so much that I wasn't exhaling enough and then get short of breath and have to surface - third time was a charm esp. once the instructor told me I wan't exhaling - what? of course I'm exhaling - tried again - nope not exhaling - LOL - So far we have removed the regulator and cleared it both ways, then practiced equalizing. This week I know we will be mask clearing and removing the bc, etc... Kind of nervous - hubby catches right on and it takes me extra time to get it down. Fingers crossed - I really want this and I have OW Cert dives scheduled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel in March! Advice anyone??

You had an easy time with BC removal?!?! No fair!!! That one was hard for me!!!

Glad you had a good time, keep with it.

Zack

Just finished my last class yesterday. Just wanted to post a couple of answers from above...

First breath under water was very cool! I got to do an introductory dive while in Hawaii last September. Falling off of the boat backwards was pretty interesting, but I had no trouble taking that breath...

I was in an accelerated class. We covered everything in 2 days. 4 hours of classwork and 3 hours of pool each day. I'm glad that I did it in 2 days because I like learning stuff in that manner.

Test was pretty easy. If you read the book and did the questions, you shouldn't have a problem with it (SSI anyway). I did notice how the last chapter was an advertisement for the further training available (not that it was a bad thing). I found it amusing every time I read a statement in the book about how "your local SSI Dealer can..."

In the pool we did a review of the skills that we did the first night (mask clearing and removal, regulator purging and retrieval) and then added a few more. We practiced an ESA, OOA (buddy breathing), giant stride entry. All in all very fun!

I would suggest that anyone taking the class do some swimming before they start. After the swim test Saturday and being in the pool both nights I am sore. I'll be sure to get in the water some before I go do my cert dives in February. We'll be going to Vortex Springs in the Florida panhandle. Can't wait...

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom