reality check on grand turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yellowfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looks like we will probably stay and dive Provo next spring, but can people give me some honest info about Grand turk. I have heard from a few people that the island is really a mess. That is not clean or well managed. I had one person refute that so far, but three say that is how it is.

We last visited Grand Turk in 2008. Stayed at Osprey and dove with Blue Water. Some of the best diving we have seen in the Caribbean area. And so convienient, 5-10 minutes to any site on a skiff, like diving on a lake. We did not have any issues with cleanliness of the island. We really enjoyed the layed back atmosphere and quite. That said, the island got creamed by a hurricane the next fall (I forget the name) and they might still be struggling to recover. I'd be interested in knowing the current state myself, since is high on our list for a return visit.

I will be more than happy to leave a detailed report the end of June . We are there June 23 for a week . In the meantime feed us any info you have , I am really looking forward to my first trip to Grand Turk . coldwater

I would be interested as well.
Also an up to date on Bohio would be great!

interested

It did take a while to get back to order after Ike.

It's more authentic islander than tourist trap, so there is a trade off there. You should have no trouble finding whichever type of food/accommodation/entertainment that suits you.

Although I didn't get to dive Grand Turk, Bohio is definitely well regarded.

Just got back from a week at Bohio , Grand Turk .
I have done dozens of trips to Cozumel , Roatan , Bonaire in the region .
I like Grand Turk more than any of the above .
The Island is cleaner than any of the above .
The Wall is out of this world . The reef is as healthy as I have seen in 25 years . Big Life .
Water Temp 82 -84 degrees , there was a noticible thermocline at 130 feet but I did not stay long enough to get a true temp. reading .
Vis ranges from 75 - 100 feet .
Bohio is great . Everything a diver needs with no hassles . Very relaxing laid back easy diving with huge rewards .
I did 18 great dives with Ollie of Salt Cay guiding our boat . Ollie is the best enough said .
Dives were 60 80 minutes . Back to the resort for intervals .
The shore dive is OK . It is almost a half hour swim to the reef , they will drop you at the wall and then you can swim back at 1500 psi .
I saw about 6 or 7 lion fish on the trip . They are harvesting , cooking , feeding the large grouper with the invasive species .
Grand Turk is the bomb . I cannot wait to return . Great trip 100_0769.jpg

Thanks for the report Lloyd. You've just made the decision of where to go next even harder! :cool2:
The shore dive is OK . It is almost a half hour swim to the reef , they will drop you at the wall and then you can swim back at 1500 psi.

Do you mean that in order to shore dive, you can either swim out a half hour, or take a one way boat trip and swim back?

Back
Top Bottom