Really Dumb Certification Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TipsyMcStagger

Registered
Reaction score
The answer to this "dilemma" will probably seem quite obvious but maybe there's something I'm not considering:

About two years ago, I did a PADI referral course in NYC. I believe it was $300. I never got around to completing the open-water portion, so the one-year referral has expired. I stopped in where I originally did the class and was told there is a PADI refresher course for $120. I'd have to get back in the pool for an evening and my referral will be renewed.

I'm back and forth between NYC and FL and stopped into the local dive shop. They are NAUI. I explained the scenario. Even though they are NAUI, they said they could complete my PADI certification, if I do the refresher course in NYC. They said I would get a PADI card issued from the original dive shop in NY.

But, this dive shop has a ridiculously inexpensive NAUI certification package; $99 including the classroom, pool and open water dives. The gentleman said I could either get my PADI referral renewed in NY and complete the certification in FL or simply forget I ever started with PADI and do the entire course in FL (NAUI).

Seems like a no-brainer; just go soup-to-nuts with the NAUI shop in FL. Is there anything I'm not considering?

TIA.

Tipsy

Go NAUI. Awesome organization. I once looked at their open water manual and found it far more impressive than any of the others.

Even though they are NAUI, they said they could complete my PADI certification, if I do the refresher course in NYC. They said I would get a PADI card issued from the original dive shop in NY.
As far as I know, a PADI Instructor MUST do the OW dives in order for you to get your cert. If the NAUI shop has a dual certified instructor (NAUI and PADI) then that instructor could do your OW dives. However, if he is just a NAUI instructor, then the shop would not be permitted to issue you a PADI card.

IF that really IS a $99 course, why not? But what else might be included in the price? "Cheap" can often be pretty expensive.

As far as I know, a PADI Instructor MUST do the OW dives in order for you to get your cert. If the NAUI shop has a dual certified instructor (NAUI and PADI) then that instructor could do your OW dives. However, if he is just a NAUI instructor, then the shop would not be permitted to issue you a PADI card.
I asked that specific question and was told they could complete the open water portion and that I would receive PADI certification from the original dive shop (assuming I first complete the PADI refresher).

IF that really IS a $99 course, why not? But what else might be included in the price? "Cheap" can often be pretty expensive.
I asked that question too. I was told there are no hidden charges.

Tipsy

My guess is that shop b is working on the theory they can cross credit

But, this dive shop has a ridiculously inexpensive NAUI certification package; $99 including the classroom, pool and open water dives. The gentleman said I could either get my PADI referral renewed in NY and complete the certification in FL or simply forget I ever started with PADI and do the entire course in FL (NAUI).

Seems like a no-brainer; just go soup-to-nuts with the NAUI shop in FL. Is there anything I'm not considering?

TIA.

Tipsy

I think you used the right word.... "rediculous".

Ask yourself... if a mechanic was willing to give your car a complete overhaul for $20... how good do you think that overhaul would be?

.... It *is* rediculous because it takes about 20-30 hours to train someone for scuba diving... even at minimum wage that's still well over $200. If someone is doing it for $99 then they are asking for wages that even sewer rats wouldn't roll of of bed for....

Ask yourself what kind of quality you should expect for that.

I'm just saying.

R..

I think you used the right word.... "rediculous".

Ask yourself... if a mechanic was willing to give your car a complete overhaul for $20... how good do you think that overhaul would be?

.... It *is* rediculous because it takes about 20-30 hours to train someone for scuba diving... even at minimum wage that's still well over $200. If someone is doing it for $99 then they are asking for wages that even sewer rats wouldn't roll of of bed for....

Ask yourself what kind of quality you should expect for that.

I'm just saying.

R..
Point taken...I chose this shop based on the recommendation of a couple of friends, for what it's worth.

I did a search and this shop actually posted this same deal to this forum back in 2009.

Tipsy

If you've got good recommendations on the $99 shop, go for it ... but I do not see how they can commit the original shop to write you a PADI card, but once you have an entry level card that becomes irrelevant.

...I do not see how they can commit the original shop to write you a PADI card, but once you have an entry level card that becomes irrelevant.
Yes, if I do the full NAUI course with the shop in FL (which in all likelihood, I will do), the PADI stuff becomes moot.

Except for the $300 hole in my pocket :depressed:

Tipsy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom