Rear inflation bcd vs. jacket...need opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
what are your opinion's on rear inflation buoyancy bag vs. jacket style? i have been told that rear inflation is better for underwater photography. i only dive warm water. i have never owned a bcd and would appreciate anyones imput.

Tlmainer,

Be prepared for a deluge of responses on your question.

Always keep one thing in mind, when asking for opinions, that's what you're going to get.

As for me, I prefer a back inflation style of B/C, be it a conventional back inflation B/C or a BP/Wing (back plate and wing) rig.

But just one little thing to keep in mind :wink: remember that pressure distributes itself equally in all directions, but a gas will migrate towards the surface, therefore, when wearing a jacket style b/c, the gas will migrate to the highest side of the diver, and will do the same in a bp/w rig.

Just put that in your pipe, smoke it a while, and come to your own conclusion.

the K

Rear inflation has always worked well for me, and for recreational photography some extra dumps in wierd spots might be good for you, you never know what contortion you might be doing taking a photo.

tlmainer:
what are your opinion's on rear inflation buoyancy bag vs. jacket style? i have been told that rear inflation is better for underwater photography. i only dive warm water. i have never owned a bcd and would appreciate anyones imput.

I've used jackets, back-inflates and bp/w's. The BC's I purchased are both back-inflates. While a high percentage of the diving populas likes the fit and feel of the jacket style, the fit and feel of the rear-inflate is more open in the front and I like that.

Being a warm water single tank recreational diver, having a metal plate; i.e. the bp/w, is of no advantage for me.

It's both good and bad that you shouldn't ask this question over in the Photography forum. I have heard some photographers say they like a jacket style when taking pictures. Maybe that's because without trim weights you can achieve a slightly heads-up position/trim if you want to. I suppose you could also achieve that trim in a rear-inflate sans the rear trim weights.

I currently use a back inflate and like that it doesn't squeeze me. I tried a Jacket style in my OW class and 1 time after and didn't like the feeling.

I am open to BP/W just haven't had the oportunity to try one and my current BC is comfortable, works great etc....

P.S. Keep in mind you asked for "Opinions" and that is what you are going to get.

Just my $.02

Don't even consider a jacket. Even if you don't ever do photo work, you will outgrow a jacket BC quickly.

Another vote for back inflated BCs'. To me it's more comfortable and streamlined than a jacket style and I have used them both, currently I own 3 Bcs' and all of them are either BP/W or back inflated.

OK, here is my opinion

back inflation BCDs are good for stability under water, but so is a good jacket style BCD.

Jacket style BCDs are good on the surface (for those that teach or wanna relax on the surface) back Inflation style BCDs tend to push your face in the water unless you lean back.

I own a good Jacket BCD, but I've used back Inflation BCDs and Technical setups.

if i have to work under water (technical) i would dive back inflation, other wise i'll use my Jacket BCD (oceanic Probe LX)

try both before you buy, because every one has a preference..

good luck.

For warm water I'll say you can use anything you want.

I happen to dive a Sherwood Avid, a jacket.

Jackets have part of the air cell in the back panels. When you add air the first of it goes there. That being the case a properly weighted diver is in essentially a back inflate situation. Being a warm water diver you won't be weighted for major neoprene that will loose buoyancy at depth so you will dive with little air in your BC. No problem.

A Jacket will be more stable at the surface. A Back inflate or wing can be managed but there are some subtleties of configuration and technique. Nothing any mere mortal can't do.

Some jackets have more squeeze than others. My Avid is known for inflating outward as well as inward and only provides a secure grip. I have tried a ScubaPro jacket that tried to break my ribs :11: . My point is that they vary and you really want to try any BC you are considering, even just a run in a pool can tell a lot.

The bottom line is that you can be a fine diver in any of tht styles al long as you get the fit right. The style will not make the diver. I don't see where photography has a lot to do with it.

Pete

I dive for work and recreationally.

When I dive for work I'm in a drysuit, a lot of exposure protection under the drysuit, on surface suppy air, am either in an AGA or commercial diving helmet, carry at least 35 pounds of lead, an AL80 as a pony, and at least 20-30 pounds of additional gear and tools, am intentionally very overweighted, and work in the muck at the bottom digging and moving heavy objects around. Its so much gear its unsafe to walk to the water's edge without significant assistance.
A rear inflation with a lot of lift is the right choice in these circumstances.

When I dive recreationally, I carry (compared to work) very little gear, dive a 3 mm shorty or 5 mm wetsuit have my bouynacy set up as perfectly as I can, and I am very conscious of my bouyancy and the effect of my breath control on my bouynacy. I prefer a jacket BC for recreational diving (I've used both). As long as I am properly weighted, in a thin wetsuit, and carrying typical recreational gear (i.e. very little) the BC style, once underwater, is irrelevant. I have to add so little air to the BC that it just doesn't seem to make any difference, and the jacket style is just way more comfortable and functional on the surface, and when diving recreationally you spend plenty of time hanging around on the surface.

To me, the advantages of a back inflation underwater when diving in warm water (i.e. with a thin wetsuit) are minimal. With more exposure protection (and thus the need for more weight and more air in the BC once under) I would go to a rear inflation, but I just don't dive in cold water recreationally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom