Reasonable Mac based solution in mid 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RovingMedics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the following things:

* Apple Watch Ultra with Oceanic+
* Scubapro G2
* iMac (M1 based)
* iPhone
* mySSI app
* Debian (bullseye) VMs

I do not have:
* Windows

Looks like I can log things in the mySSI app, Oceanic+ will automatically log, and the G2 will log.

I just discovered DiveConverter as well.

MacDive looks like a must-have. Is it still being developed?

I see that I can export from the mySSI webpage in either Excel or CSV. That might come in handy. Maybe..

I know that vendors don't always like to talk to each other even when they should. I've seen a few other apps like SubSurface and logTrak mentioned here, and I'm ok with an open source solution if one exists. I don't have a Linux desktop but I can spin up a desktop VM if necessary.

So, it seems that there are many ways to bake this cake. What's the most reasonable and headache free way that you fine folks in 2023 have found to tie everything else together? Thank you!

I use MacDive and have since 2016. What makes you think it’s not still being developed?

I also use MacDive on iOS and my laptop. As far as I can tell it's a solo dev (Nick) so he may be heads down writing code a bunch. I imagine this time of year is especially busy as he preps updates for the Fall general releases.

You can run subsurface on your Debian vm. Challenge might be accessing ports or Bluetooth from the VM.

I use MacDive and have since 2016. What makes you think it’s not still being developed?

Their Twitter account linked from the homepage no longer exists.
Last release was 9/2022.
Last "News" item was 2021.
Recent forum posts unanswered.

All of which are signs of a stagnant or abandoned project. I've seen it countless times over the years. So, I wanted to check.

Someone else mentioned that it's a 1 man development and they're probably busy, which makes sense.
Big architecture change between the Intel chips & Apple Silicon and I want to make sure that it's something that will work going forward and I won't have to rely on a compatibility layer. (Just downloaded it and checked: it's a Universal Binary.)

You can run subsurface on your Debian vm. Challenge might be accessing ports or Bluetooth from the VM.

Bluetooth might be the biggest pain, yes. Ports (serial, anyway) have worked ok. The VM is running on a Proxmox host, and fortunately they've been decent with serial port support. (for now. lol)

I use MacDive on all my devices: M1 Mac mini, iPhone, and iPad Pro. It runs great on all of them. It syncs with lots of different brand computers (but not with oceanic+). It has an awesome gps tracker feature for the phone so that you can get accurate locations for your dives, and it has a neat linking feature when you sync your computer asking if a dive was at a location you saved. It’s a great set of apps, and I’ve never had a single issue with it.

someone else mentioned subsurface. They also have a version that runs native on the Mac an iPhone so you don’t need a Linux based vm to use that. I don’t have any experience with subsurface though so I can’t comment on how good or bad it is

I just checked and MacDive will sync with your G2 with no additional drivers needed

I use MacDive on all my devices: M1 Mac mini, iPhone, and iPad Pro. It runs great on all of them. It syncs with lots of different brand computers (but not with oceanic+). It has an awesome gps tracker feature for the phone so that you can get accurate locations for your dives, and it has a neat linking feature when you sync your computer asking if a dive was at a location you saved. It’s a great set of apps, and I’ve never had a single issue with it.

someone else mentioned subsurface. They also have a version that runs native on the Mac an iPhone so you don’t need a Linux based vm to use that. I don’t have any experience with subsurface though so I can’t comment on how good or bad it is

Awesome, thanks! I just looked at the release notes for the iOS version and saw the G2 listed on there. That solves that part. :) Definitely buying this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom