rebreather diving in Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ken chung ar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
hi all,

this is a brief report on my liveaboard trip to cocos island, CR. i had got aboard okeanos aggressor from the 11th thru 21st of april, 2006.

as i wanted to use my dolphin SCR, i had to make arrangements to get scrubber, a dolphin tank, and bailout bottles in CR. this was difficult because aggressor people in san jose, CR were not helpful in this regard. the final arrangements could be made with a great help of alan, undersea hunter in CR. as aggressor fleet has decided not to allow any more rebreather (RB) divers to attend their liveaboards, my trip was the last tour with rebreather divers by okeanos aggressor.

the captain was alberto, and the guides were alberto and javier, a spaniard. as okeanos aggressor carried two pangas, the guests were also divided into two groups. both were excellent guides undewater. crossing to and from cocos was easy. to my surprise, there was the other rebreather diver on board! this guy roger was an american. working in his local company, and diving YBOD (inspiration). the total number of guests was 18, including roger and me.

although april was a bit early for large groups of hammerheads, we saw quite a few groups consisting of 10-20 HHs. we dove at about ten different sites, but the best one by far was ALCYON. it's an undersea mount in the middle of open water with strong currents, and you are supposed to descend and ascend holding the rope attached to the bottom. one of the guests got drifted apart because she could not hold on to it! HHs were quite many there. and some of them got so close to me that i could reach them. i uploaded my photos taken with my nikonos V with a 15mm, and so you can believe what i have written.

it was also a bit early for red-lip batfish. i wanted to take a pic of the fish so that i brought a 105 mm only for that! although the other group saw it!, we could not :-<

overall, the trip was fun. i appreciated that the crew was gay and entertaining. the only bummer is, as i wrote, you will not be able to dive your RB on aggressor. BUT you have another choice! undersea hunter continues to support RB divers, although you have to bring your own RB and probably have to book for a trip TWO years ahead.

ken chung ar

Hi Ken,

Thanks, I look forward to diving my Inspiration in December, I have 2 spaces left if anyone wants to join us.

GoProHonduras:
Hi Ken,

Thanks, I look forward to diving my Inspiration in December, I have 2 spaces left if anyone wants to join us.

hi andy,

thank you for your comments and having introduced alan to me. without his help i would not have been able to dive my dolphin in Cocos.

as i wrote, seeing HHs close is an awesome experience. december should be the best time for that and also for seeing red-lip bat fish. crossing to and from Cocos may be a bit rough, but it certainly is worth it. i wish i could go again.

ken chung ar

Hello Ken, glad you managed to have a good trip, inspite of Aggressor policies. I will not dive with them again, even if they have a change of heart about RBs. I did manage to have one OK trip with them back when I was an SCR diver. But they still managed to make it difficult. I rented a unit from them and had never used the Oxy gage before, and did not know you could set the alarm to different PPO2s. They had it set at 1.1, so as soon as I got down to a nice depth, where the dam thing actually starts to work well, and doesn't vent every other breath, the *&%$#@* alarm goes off and scares off various fishes, including a nice sized Bull shark who was coming in for a looksee. Gone in an instant of beeping alarms. 1.1, good grief...

They pretended not to know how to change the alarm, but I finally figured it out... on the 2nd to last day. Oh well, something good did come out of it. That's the trip that led me to make two major decisions-1) time to go fully CCR and 2) no more franchise liveaboards.
I've had great luck with the owner operators I have dived with, all CCR divers themselves. Owner opperators usually try harder to pleaase their customers-nowhere to hide from an unhappy one on a small boat, no front office to blame things on. They also tend to have more seaworthy boats as opposed to the rough ridding, refitted oil tenders common to most franchise ops. On both PH and Ag, I had captains turn around in 3ft seas and tell us that conditions were too rough to get to the more remote sites. What a joke. The Okeanos is probably the most seaworthy of all the Ag boats, so I think you did very well, all things considered. -Andy

Hi Ken,

No worries, I'll let you know how I get on with my trip.

Regards,
Andy

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would put in my two cents. In a few weeks I will be making my third trip to Cocos ( and Malpelo this trip) with a rebreather. First trip was with a Dolphin, last trip, and this trip with an Inspiration. It is an outstanding place to take a rebreather. Probably the best place in the world to demonstrate how much closer you can get to sealife with a rebreather. The Undersea/Sea Hunter outfit is top notch, and very rebreather friendly. Probably because Avi Klapfer uses a biomarine 2000. Travel wasn't too bad. Usual dumb questions at the airport. "is this really all YOUR luggage?" Still, one of the best places I have ever been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom