Rebreather Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt83

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going to be attending a school for scuba in the next couple months. I want to get as much in as possible, but cost can hold things back a little. My question is about rebreather instructors. Is there a need for rebreather instructors and also, would an instructor need his/her own rebreather. If I were able to get a job with a resort or on a liveaboard, etc, would the operator supply the instructors rebreather. I would hate to spend all this money and then not be able to instruct because of lack of equipment. Any insight would be appriciated.

:troll::popcorn:

This has gotta be one of the best questions ever. Thanks dude. You really need to ask this question on "rebreather world" or "the deco stop". :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::shakehead::shakehead:

Wow, we've gotten to a new low.:popcorn:

Please don't ask this question on rebreatherworld!
Suffice to say teaching rebreather requires hunderds of hours of experience on a specific unit before you should even consider it. I doubt you would aquire that experience without owning one. This is not a PADI drysuit specialty we're talking about here.

I am going to be attending a school for scuba in the next couple months. I want to get as much in as possible, but cost can hold things back a little. My question is about rebreather instructors. Is there a need for rebreather instructors and also, would an instructor need his/her own rebreather. If I were able to get a job with a resort or on a liveaboard, etc, would the operator supply the instructors rebreather. I would hate to spend all this money and then not be able to instruct because of lack of equipment. Any insight would be appriciated.

There is no such thing as a stupid question... and obviously you are interested in becoming a good instructor. However, be aware that rebreather instructors are really at the top of their game... or should be. Yes we need rebreather instructors, but we need them with vast experience... at least 100 hours on the unit to teach air diluent. You will need your own unit. The people you teach will have to own units too... You may also consider that many of the people you have as potential customers, will have several hundred dives to their credit... rebreather divers tend to be experience divers who have already earned technical ratings... not always the case but certainly the norm here in north america.

It's a case of learning to crawl, then walking and finally running.

You need to go through the step and get a lot of experience, as Doppler mention many rebreather divers have hundreds of OC dives, most of them already trimix certified.
You need to dive a rebreather first to understand how they work, I would say a minimum of 100 hours before you even think of becoming a CCR instructor. And you will need to save about $20.000 for the equipment.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom