Rebreather pile of doo doo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i know for a fact its true, but i do belive any one who did (i know some of them ) only did it once screwed up vocal cords for months , and put a BIG wammmy in the brain box

I'd heard of research getting to human trials prior to the Abyss - probably inspired incorporating it into the movie.

But always wondered - how did they prevent secondary drowning after removing the fluid? the natural lung surfactant coating must be broken down and removed by the fluid. That leaves sticky interior surfaces...

?

DrDirt

But always wondered - how did they prevent secondary drowning after removing the fluid? the natural lung surfactant coating must be broken down and removed by the fluid. That leaves sticky interior surfaces...

Kylstra JA:
Microscopic examination of the lungs of dogs and rats that had breathed oxygenated FC-80 fluorocarbon liquid or an emulsion of 1% (by volume) of 2 M NaOH in FC-80 fluorocarbon liquid revealed the transient presence of increased numbers of mononuclear cells but no other pathologic changes.

From: Kylstra, JA. 1977. The Feasibility of Liquid Breathing in Man. Office of Naval Research Final technical rept. 1 May 1969-31 Oct 1975. RRR ID: 4257

I would only volunteer for this if at the end...I got Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. Me-Ow

The healthy volunteer whose larynx and trachea had been anesthetized to facilitate intubation, but who otherwise received no medication, did not experience intolerable sensations arising from the flow of saline into and out of his lungs and seemed not to be aware of the presence of residual liquid in his lung after the lavage.

Sign me up and change my avatar to Mr Fish!

what's so funny this technology has work for many premature babies why not for divers no bends no deco ??????

Actually the procedure he is talking about, the use of a liquid surfactant to "Clean" the lungs of a premature baby saved my life. It was highly experimental at the time though.

Back
Top Bottom