Rec Triox: Desperately trying to take diving to a new level :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here this morning, bleary-eyed and body sore and trying to organized an intense whirlwind of education from the last three days into something anybody would want to read. I just got put through the Rec Triox machine, and I came out the other side a little the worse for wear, and stuffed to the gills with indigested information. But I'll try to hit the high (or were they low?) points.

In a nutshell: This is a great class. It's not easy, and there's a ton of material that's covered in the academics, and packing it all into three days creates a real pressure cooker. For those who have taken Fundies: Fundies is drinking through a straw. Rec Triox is swallowing the output from a fire hose. And not only are the things you are asked to do more difficult, but the standard you are held to in executing them is higher. I am SO glad I did this, instead of trying to take a Tech 1 class.

I'm not going to be able to do a chronological account of the class, because it's all kind of a blur right now, so I'll try to describe what we covered, and what we did.

We had academic (classroom) and in-water sessions each day. Friday began with academics. We started with a rapid Fundies review, including going over the equipment setup. Each of us had to take a piece of the rig and describe what the important qualities were to look for, and why they were important. We reviewed equipment checks and the dive briefing, and went through the "GUE EDGE" mnemonic. I think we did some gas planning calculations that morning, too, and we talked about monitoring consumption and calculating SAC rates (which Kirk and I have gone through before, but the other two guys hadn't). We went over minimum gas determinations, tank factors, and gas matching. Steve gave us his expectations of us as far as gas monitoring during the dives. We also went over the critical skills we would be doing in that day's underwater work.

About noon, we headed for Cove 2, joined by Richard, who was acting as Steve's assistant for the class. To my disappointment, there was no video during this class, although I have no idea when we would have found time to review it, anyway.

We started out by dropping and doing valve and S drills. Although it was not pretty, I did manage to get to all my valves. S drills went fine. Steve actually praised us for how we did here. It was the last praise we were to get for quite a while.

Richard and Steve laid a course, with a bag for an upline, and a line run maybe a hundred feet or so. We worked in teams of three, which meant there was one odd man out, who buddied up with Richard and observed. This meant that at any given time, we had two people who were used to working together, and a third relative stranger, and this proved to be one of the challenges. One lesson I got from this class is that there is TREMENDOUS value in working together as a team before you face anything stressful.

The format for the dives is familiar to anybody who's done a GUE class. You descend and start the dive. Things happen, and you deal with them. Steve was particularly good at taking advantage of the openings we gave him -- If you turned around and got your fins near somebody's face, they probably lost their mask. If you weren't watching a team member, he'd get lost. If somebody's fins got in the silt, it got "helped along" a little. If you made an error in managing a valve failure, most likely the person with the failure would go out of air.

I think we may have set records for the number of mistakes, blunders, screw-ups and generally poor performance we managed to come up with. We lost buoyancy, lost trim, kicked up silt, failed to reach valves (except for Kirk, who can reach his in his sleep, which turned out to be valuable later on). We misidentified the failure we were being given (My response to a right post failure at one point was to take my mask off and hand it to Steve, which nonplused him, as mask removal does not tend to stop the bubbles) and when we identified it correctly, we often took precisely the wrong steps to solve the problem. The worst blunder was attempting to turn off the post our buddy was breathing, and almost everybody tried that at one point or another. In fact, on the second day, somebody succeeded in turning off Kirk's right post when he had already shut his left one. Kirk being Kirk, he sucked the regulator dry and calmly reached back behind him and turned the post back on. His composure and sang-froid underwater is just amazing.

After each dive that day, Steve would try to get us to run through the sequence of events in detail, including the time things happened and what our gas was. He quickly realized that just living through the scenarios was pushing our limits, and expecting us to store that much data wasn't reasonable, because the requests for that information were gone by the second day.

The high point of day one for me was being the "observer" on the last dive, which meant I was paired up with Richard, and our job was to clean up the line and bag at the end. Because the tide had come in, the upline bag was almost underwater, so Richard had to loosen the line a little bit at the very beginning, which meant the other guys got out of sight before we started down the line. So our dive was swimming to the end of the line, and then I got (at my request) to handle the reel for cleanup. Richard took the ties off, and I reeled up the line. No failures, no lost buddies, no OOA's! I was a happy camper until I realized I hadn't checked my gas once while I had the reel in my hand . . . Ah, there went the situational awareness.

So four crestfallen students debriefed the dives with Steve, and we then repaired to the Thai restaurant across the street for more academics. The restaurant wasn't busy, thank goodness, but we got some very strange looks from other patrons as Steve set up his laptop and Powerpoint presentations among the dishes and the silverware, and began to hold forth on breathing gases. We broke up about 9:30 and I went home to die.

The following morning was earlier, because we had to start at the shop since we hadn't filled tanks the night before. That morning was gas mixing calculations, and we had to calculate what we needed to put in our tanks to get a full load of 32%. We went down and labelled our tanks, and when Richard came in, he filled them for us while we were doing gas consumption, minimum gas, calculating thirds, tank factors, gas matching and dissimilar tanks. We then packed up and headed out to Cove 2 yet again.

The second day's dives were much like the first. We had a course, and were given failures to cope with. Once again, we floundered and made mistakes and generally failed to distinguish ourselves. I proved to be utterly unable to reach my isolator under stress, and unable to hold my trim while reaching valves in general, except when allowed to do it under the gentle pace of a formal drill.

One of the pits I fell into that day was trying WAY too hard. I was trying to anticipate the next failure, so I could have a strategy already in place for it, and as a consequence, I made judgment errors. Having been asked to practice bag shooting as the formal skill for the day, and having also been told that, should we have to make a free ascent, we were to shoot a bag, I was expecting a scenario that would lead to a free ascent, and when I thought I had one, I signalled that. Steve pointed out to me later that, since we were diving thirds, the implication was that a free ascent was NOT an option, something which had passed completely over my overachievement-focused, overdriven brain. That was embarrassing. Lesson number two: Don't try to outthink the instructor. You're not there to be clever. Real dives aren't going to give you problems that you can anticipate and be ready for, except by being adept at coping strategies in general.

After the dives, we went back to the shop for more academics. Pulmonary physiology, breathing gases, oxygen toxicity (both central nervous system and pulmonary) and narcosis. CO2 toxicity and the role of catecholamines in facilitating CNS oxygen toxicity. DCS/DCI, predisposing factors and WHY they may increase risk. Calculation of ENDs and EADs, and why GUE uses the equations it does (considering oxygen narcotic). And we made a beginning on decompression theory. We broke off at about ten, and went downstairs to do filling calculations. It was amusing to watch four very tired people struggle through some elementary arithmetic, or it would have been amusing had we not already been so frustrated and annoyed with ourselves.

The next day, we had chartered a boat to do some diving in Lake Washington. The original plan was that these were to be our "experience dives" on 30/30, but by midafternoon Saturday, Steve had told us that our performances didn't meet his criteria for doing any hundred foot dives. Unfortunately, we still had the boat which we couldn't cancel, so he talked to the captain and they settled on a site at a depth Steve thought was reasonable (65 feet). Meet time was set for 9am, which with the daylight savings time change was 8 physiologically, and having gotten to sleep after midnight, that was a very painfully early morning.

We went out on the boat and shotted the wreck (an airplane off the Boeing plant at the southern end of the lake). We started this day with two primary lights out -- One of the out of towners had had his die the day before, and was using my husband's, and Kirk's light had gone out the prior evening, so he was on his backup. He and I jumped in the water to do the first dive, which was drills at 20 feet, and my primary light wouldn't strike (I still don't know what's wrong with it, except it didn't flood). So we went down anyway to do the drills, and I thought we actually did pretty well. We held more or less at twenty feet (I thought it was more, Steve said it was less), I got all my valves, and thought I maintained my trim pretty well, which I apparently didn't. Kirk, of course, ran through his drills without turning a hair, and we surfaced to let the other team go down.

This was where being from out of town and diving in conditions strange to them really worked against our classmates. We dive lousy viz -- a lot -- and we dive in the dark all winter. For these guys, the challenges of minimal visual references and midwater skills were just more than they were prepared to cope with, and they surfaced and said they were done. Steve offered to take them down to the wreck just for a fun dive, since we were there, and they were up for that, so the three went down and Kirk and I blew up our drysuits and floated around and teased each other for the next twenty minutes or so. The guys surfaced and said the most exciting thing they'd found was a steel drum, and it was decided to go back to the boat, swap out primary lights, and Kirk and I would then go down and try to do the planned critical skills dive. The captain was also going to try to re-site the shot so we'd have a better chance to find the wreck.

Well, that dive was one of the strangest underwater experiences I've had yet. At 60 feet, it was as dark as nighttime, and the water was very murky. The bottom was featurless brown silt, which, if you got more than a foot or two above it, blended seamlessly into the suspended particles in the water, so that there was no reference for up or down at all, except the shot line. My world was limited by the penetration of the HID lights, and was oriented by Kirk's body and the lead ball on the end of the shot line, which Steve was towing. It was not pleasant diving, and we didn't do it for very long. When about ten minutes had gone by and we'd found no trace of wreckage, Steve thumbed it, and we executed a pretty organized ascent, except I got a little wobbly at ten feet.

Back on the boat, we all decided to go back to Cove 2 and do some more diving. It just didn't seem right to leave the gear all rinsed in fresh water, after all :)

The emphasis on Sunday's dives was descent and ascent procedures. We descended a buoy line, did a short dive, got a few failures (which we actually fielded a bit better than before) and returned to ascend the buoy line. The first time, Kirk and I were air-sharing when we got to the upline, and the ascent, though not unsafe, wasn't pretty. Too much yo-yoing back and forth between us, and considerably too slow, and we got way too far off the upline at the end. The second time, we just did an unharassed ascent, and it went better, although still too slow. I think I'm afraid to move up any faster for fear I'll get rolling and be unable to stop. Gotta fix that.

By the end of the third dive, my ears had had it with descents and ascents, so we packed it in and went back to the shop for more lecture. This was the most fun part of the academics for me, the decompression theory. We went through dissolved gas and free phase gas theories and bubble models, and the different shapes each model gives to the decompression profile it generates. We talked about M-values and gradient factors, and ran Buhlmann and VPM profiles on Decoplanner to compare them, and looked at what changing mixes does to decompression profiles. Although we weren't doing decompression diving, we used deco dives as examples, so we could see what the software was doing better. We talked about how GUE massages the profiles Decoplanner generates to match what's believed about bubble behavior, and we talked about the oxygen window. I got a chance to ask a great many questions about stuff I'd read and make sure I'd understood things properly.

Anybody who thinks GUE turns out brain-dead clone divers should have been there for this lecture. Far from dogma, the emphasis was that there ARE different theories and models, different ways of looking at how gases behave in physiologic systems, and quite possibly none of them is really "correct". GUE has come up with a strategy that makes sense to them, and has some basis both in theory and in the research they've carried out on the WKPP divers, and that's what they use and what they teach, but they don't hold it out as revealed truth, and we were cautioned repeatedly that one must always match one's ascent strategies to their outcomes -- If you're doing minimum deco on a dive near the time limits and you feel exhausted and crummy afterwards, you know that for YOU (at least on that day) you overdid it, and greater conservativism is probably warranted.

About seven o'clock, we broke up for individual evaluations. Steve has a very nice way of doing them. He goes through the class standards one by one, and asks you what you think of your performance in each category. Then he tells you what he thinks. As with Fundies, there were no surprises, really, except in the couple of categories where Steve actually thought I had done better than I had. Where I fell woefully short, he had some very concrete ideas on what and how to practice. And as before, he demonstrated a rare talent, which is that he can tell you how horribly you suck without having it hurt. Anyway, we didn't finish the class, because there was just more than our particular group could get through, so there'll be Rec Triox, Part 2, probably some time in April. I think the out of town guys are talking about flying Steve in to finish the class for them.

There was a TON of information in this class, and I was extremely glad that my overactive curiosity had driven me to look into a great many of these things before I got there. There's a lot of calculation involved in gas mixing, gas planning, and choice of mix, and although the calculations are fairly simple, when you're tired and stressed, it's a lot of work. The diving standards are higher yet than Fundies. As Steve said, Rec Triox is "Tech Lite". You're pushed a little and stressed a little, but the intent is not to find your limits, but only to increase your competence. In the Tech classes, the intent is to push you to the breaking point, so you know where it is and learn how to stretch your limits, since real emergencies are unlikely to honor your request for a time out. I'm really happy that I took this "first bite" toward any technical training. Just as after Fundies, Kirk and I know what the work is that we have cut out for us. We know what to practice and have some good ideas on HOW to practice it. And, just as before, Steve's told us he's there to help us get this stuff, and he'll be around to dive with us as we do so.

I remain deeply impressed with the quality of this instruction, and more determined than ever that my cave class will be done through GUE.

TSandM:
One of the pits I fell into that day was trying WAY too hard. I was trying to anticipate the next failure, so I could have a strategy already in place for it, and as a consequence, I made judgment errors. Having been asked to practice bag shooting as the formal skill for the day, and having also been told that, should we have to make a free ascent, we were to shoot a bag, I was expecting a scenario that would lead to a free ascent, and when I thought I had one, I signalled that. Steve pointed out to me later that, since we were diving thirds, the implication was that a free ascent was NOT an option, something which had passed completely over my overachievement-focused, overdriven brain. That was embarrassing. Lesson number two: Don't try to outthink the instructor. You're not there to be clever. Real dives aren't going to give you problems that you can anticipate and be ready for, except by being adept at coping strategies in general.

Classes sometimes psych me out because they're classes.

First time bob took my mask I swam a few hundred feet and tried to do a maskless ascent, with a perfectly good backup mask in my pocket and a couple of other ones on the team, just because I figured that was what bob really wanted me to do.

I also sometimes fail to step in and fix details because I want to see what goes wrong. I've kept 'silent' about missing secondary ties and such because I wanted to see what happened when we failed to do a secondary tie.

TSandM:
Well, that dive was one of the strangest underwater experiences I've had yet. At 60 feet, it was as dark as nighttime, and the water was very murky. The bottom was featurless brown silt, which, if you got more than a foot or two above it, blended seamlessly into the suspended particles in the water, so that there was no reference for up or down at all, except the shot line. My world was limited by the penetration of the HID lights, and was oriented by Kirk's body and the lead ball on the end of the shot line, which Steve was towing. It was not pleasant diving, and we didn't do it for very long. When about ten minutes had gone by and we'd found no trace of wreckage, Steve thumbed it, and we executed a pretty organized ascent, except I got a little wobbly at ten feet.

That stupid plane seems to be really difficult to find. It sits in a depression so it doesn't turn up on the depth finder very well. The spot that we always seem to drop on is this little hill with a stick on top of it which is actually 200 feet or so off the wreck. I've found that running a bunch of line out on a reel doing a huge sweeping search and looking for a big log on the bottom has worked out well -- but I haven't had to do it in quite as crappy of viz as you guys probably had.

Heh, congratulations (I think)

It's amazing what just a little bit of stress can do to us sometimes. Things that we could do in our sleep unstressed just seem to go bye-bye when the temperature increases a bit.

limeyx:
Things that we could do in our sleep unstressed just seem to go bye-bye when the temperature increases a bit.
Or decreases...

lamont:
That stupid plane seems to be really difficult to find. It sits in a depression so it doesn't turn up on the depth finder very well. The spot that we always seem to drop on is this little hill with a stick on top of it which is actually 200 feet or so off the wreck. I've found that running a bunch of line out on a reel doing a huge sweeping search and looking for a big log on the bottom has worked out well -- but I haven't had to do it in quite as crappy of viz as you guys probably had.

I agree something about the sticks there look like a plane and something about the plane and the hole makes it look like the bottom. And I definately wouldn't think about going there during a rainy gale in March. Too much silt from the Cedar.

Congrads

ps where did the out of towners come in from?

Anybody who thinks GUE turns out brain-dead clone divers should have been there for this lecture. Far from dogma, the emphasis was that there ARE different theories and models, different ways of looking at how gases behave in physiologic systems, and quite possibly none of them is really "correct".

I find it really interesting that decompression isn't a completely solved problem yet, and the diving community still has things to contribute. People have been diving on compressed air for what, about 50 years now? Before I started diving I would have assumed that the Navy had figured it out for us to five nines, but that's obviously not the case. Interesting stuff.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom